Abandoned/derelict sites

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This beauty can be located at Fox Field near Palmdale CA. I'd love to see a gaggle of C-97s. WY is far but when/if I get out there it will have to be a destination.

I haven't been there since about 2002, but it was pretty cool. It's the municipal airoport for Greybull and the Bighorn Basin. I paid (I think) $2.00 and they gave me a little brochure and let me just wander around among the old planes. Google Maps Satellite view shows there are still a lot of C97s there (for those who don't know, the C-97 was the first aerial tanker and was based on the B-29 bomber from WWII.)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Very confusing perspective in that shot Cirrus. Interesting.

Real gusty tones in the middle shot Isaac, the sort of thing that would have made a good platinum/palladium print in the day I reckon.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I might have to go hit a coule places around here tomorrow. I get the bug to shoot looking at this thread!

Also makes me want that Tokina wide-angle more. Need to work some overtime . . . . .

fisher205

Explorer
Ironic we were drinking a Hamm's last night and a friend was discussing the brewery in Minneapolis (St. Paul). It's now brewed in Milwaukee. So much for the "from the land of sky blue waters"

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Thanks! This is UEC-129 and you can read more about it here: http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/uec-129-1.htm Unfortunately mine names or locations are no longer public due to BLM monitoring and to prevent theft. I forgot to add to the original post that if anyone does know the location then please keep it off the internet to preserve the site.

I chased your link back to the underground explorers website. After looking over the info regarding your exploration of the UEC-129 mine I understand why you are worried about "BLM monitoring". Specifically, the photo of a UEC explorer, holding an axe while standing next to a chopped up wooden door inside the mine. The photo caption is: "Let's see what's behind door #1". An earlier picture showed the door intact and closed and was captioned "Sealed off area".

Regarding mining claims - the term "abandoned" is used a lot. Chances are the correct term is "inactive" because chances are the claim is still owned by someone. All that is required to maintain ownership is payment of a small annual fee. Claims are legally real property and can be bought & sold and handed down.

Jim

OpenTrackRacer

Observer
That picture needs a little explaining. It's not actually a door but rather a wood air control wall. These are put in place (and often moved) when a mine is operating to control airflow and keep fresh air moving in active parts of the mine. Since part of our work involves detailed mapping, we have to gain access to any closed off sections in order to be accurate and properly document the true structure of the mine. Our goal is the documentation and preservation of abandoned mines so we only open walls or sealed areas when absolutely necessary.

The issue with the BLM (and other agencies) was their monitoring of our web site and Facebook page in order to identify mines for reclamation (which almost always means permanent closure). With regard to mining claims, only patented claims are real property. Placer and lode claims must be renewed every year (and are also supposed to have ongoing mining or site improvement activities). They are not real property and only give claim holders certain rights.

I chased your link back to the underground explorers website. After looking over the info regarding your exploration of the UEC-129 mine I understand why you are worried about "BLM monitoring". Specifically, the photo of a UEC explorer, holding an axe while standing next to a chopped up wooden door inside the mine. The photo caption is: "Let's see what's behind door #1". An earlier picture showed the door intact and closed and was captioned "Sealed off area".

Regarding mining claims - the term "abandoned" is used a lot. Chances are the correct term is "inactive" because chances are the claim is still owned by someone. All that is required to maintain ownership is payment of a small annual fee. Claims are legally real property and can be bought & sold and handed down.

Jim

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
That picture needs a little explaining. It's not actually a door but rather a wood air control wall. These are put in place (and often moved) when a mine is operating to control airflow and keep fresh air moving in active parts of the mine. Since part of our work involves detailed mapping, we have to gain access to any closed off sections in order to be accurate and properly document the true structure of the mine. Our goal is the documentation and preservation of abandoned mines so we only open walls or sealed areas when absolutely necessary.

The issue with the BLM (and other agencies) was their monitoring of our web site and Facebook page in order to identify mines for reclamation (which almost always means permanent closure). With regard to mining claims, only patented claims are real property. Placer and lode claims must be renewed every year (and are also supposed to have ongoing mining or site improvement activities). They are not real property and only give claim holders certain rights.

Thanks for the reply.

Status of a claim can be checked via LR2000 or Geo Communicator and other sources to determine if the mine owner had forfeited the claim. If the annual fee is paid up, the mine is not abandoned, it is inactive.

Did the owner of the claim request the mapping and/or give permission to enter the mine? If not then breaking thru the air control structure was destruction of private property, regardless of the reason.

A patented claim includes ownership of both the land and mineral resources. An unpatented claim includes only the resources. An unpatented claim is still real property (in the legal sense) because it represents ownership of the resources on and under that land.

If the claim is inactive, you can buy it for I believe $190 then $140 per year plus $100 per year in improvements. http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/mining/requirements.html

For someone with technical climbing skills old mines would be a interesting to explore. My concern is that the claims truly are abandoned.

<>Apologies to the original poster for the hijack<>

Jim

xndrxw

Observer
Fort Macomb
Rxtzn.jpg

Lots more abandoned shots on my site in my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online