Abandoned/derelict sites

alexfm

Explorer
This is located in far East El Paso on Montana/180 just before the Hueco Tanks turn off for you local guys.

attachment.php

Hmm, I dont think I've ever noticed this place before. I need to out that way more often. :D

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
I'm a truck nut, shots from around California:

p5230567.jpg

p7210006.jpg

pc010039.jpg

P8230005.jpg

pa250107k.jpg

i am amazed at how good of shape those trucks are in, around here mother nature would have already reclaimed them, those things look like you could change the oil, some new plugs and gas and she'd fire up lol

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
i am amazed at how good of shape those trucks are in, around here mother nature would have already reclaimed them, those things look like you could change the oil, some new plugs and gas and she'd fire up lol

Yup, it's one of the cool things about being "Out West."

When I was in NC, an abandoned barn that was 20 years old was close to collapsing. And a car that had been abandoned for 5 years was covered in rust and barely recognizable.

Out here in CO it's not unusual to go by an old mine that has been abandoned for over 100 years and the equipment appears more or less intact, with just surface rust.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Devils Island

For those of you who have read the book, or watched the movie, Papillon, about the (heavily fictionalised, IMHO) story of the life of Frenchman Henri Charrière - these are from my trip to Devil's Island in French Guyane a few years ago. For those familiar with the story of Alfred Dreyfuss and "The Dreyfuss Affair" the third photo shows the stone house he built during his incarceration under terrible conditions on Devil's Island.
View attachment 87099
View attachment 87100
View attachment 87101
View attachment 87102

Humphrey

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Devil's Island (or more accurately the three islands: Îles du Salut) is a fascinating place to visit, and not a place I'd have liked to be a French prisoner. It was insanely hot, humid and sunny when I was there, each of which are all very effective colour sapping agents so it was a relatively challenging place to get decent shots. Neutral density or circular polarisers were my main weapons against desaturation. For reference this composite/stitched panorama shows how isolated the islands are. (I'm not happy with the panorama and some day I want to restitich/edit it).
View attachment 87213

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Not quite derelict yet, but slowly dieing from the elements. This is the old Sweetwater Brewery or Green River Brewery building. It was built in 1900 and was the first brewery in WY. It is built with sandstone blocks that were quarried nearby. The top castle style turrets were modeled after the old Chicago water tank. They stopped brewing beer and made a couple of non alcoholic beverages during prohibition, but it wasn't enough to sustain them and they went out of business two years before the end with the death of the owner. It was never a brewery again, but housed several other businesses over the years. It is now a local little bar.

DSC_0335-1.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
F-4 Phantom jet crash site in the desert of CA, north of I-40:

P1140224.JPG

P1140229.JPG

found in a wash in the Old Dale Mining District, CA:

P1140050.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member