Abandoned/derelict sites

pith helmet

DA2EBF11-1914-45E3-BCD3-F5D3BC6E4C35.jpeg
The original Natchez Trace at the ghost town of Old Greenville, MS, the site of the hanging of one of the first known serial killers in America, “Little”
Wiley Harpe. His brother “Big” Micajah Harpe met a similar but less formal end in Kentucky.

8164D853-F59D-49CD-A6CC-AD51170BC47E.jpeg
620A67D1-8DA1-46E2-ACAD-7FBB990EB94C.jpeg

Trail Talk

This is my favorite thread (y). Even though we seek the solitude and natural settings in the backcountry, its always a thrill to find evidence of past occupation. Never more so than our hike on the Chilkoot Trail a couple of summers ago, retracing the Klondike Gold Rush route. Started in Dyea, AK and finished in Bennett Lake, BC, with an "interesting" train ride back to Skagway.

Attachments

dmc1

Adventurer
View attachment 655704
The original Natchez Trace at the ghost town of Old Greenville, MS, the site of the hanging of one of the first known serial killers in America, “Little”
Wiley Harpe. His brother “Big” Micajah Harpe met a similar but less formal end in Kentucky.

View attachment 655706
View attachment 655707
Is that the title of the book? Looks interesting!

pith helmet

Battery Chamberlin at Baker Beach in SF

We walk past this on one of our usual city hikes. I like to imagine what it must have been like to be stationed here back when it was active.

Wow. I had to look that up; a very interesting history. ”Disappearing guns”!