AA1PR’s Yukon Long Term Build & Adventure Videos 56K

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
AA1PR’s Yukon Long Term Build & Adventure w/VIDEOS

I am not, nor will I pay $400 a year to photobucket so my build thread sadly has no photos

OK so here is my rig, not as nice as a lot of your's on here but it is my work in progress. Don’t laugh it’s paid for. I call her “Psyche” & will eventually get the decals or sand blasted/etched on the front bug deflector saying that. Thought that maybe I better post her since I have only made a few posts on this forum in the last 2 years since I have been here.
It is fully loaded with every option available etc. Had a blazer in the past & thought another full size SUV was the way to go. Marriage & kids forced me to sell it…now I am single & can drive what I want.
For what I have into it, I think I would be better off to build up a Jeep, then again everyone has one around here. All the Yukon & Tahoe’s in my area are modded with 20” rims for the street; I wanted to go where I want to with mine. What good is a 4X4 if you have to keep her on the road, that’s no fun?

I am disabled, so it takes me a bit longer than most to take on & accomplish projects.

really only keep the ol girl on pavement, but had a friend from PA that wanted to explore VT class IV roads, Since tropical storm Irene passed through last year, once what was a nice trail became a challenge.

Ok so I took a ham radio friend [N3JQD] over the mountain and through the woods. (sorry no photos, I forgot GoPro in a rush to get out the door). I soon discovered that I have certain things that need addressing. Along with the fact that it causes me severe pain to off raod (bouncing around, jerking motions etc). The Yukon powered its way through what I consider rough trail nicely. I did not beat on it, but rather let the gears & engine do the work. The Cooper tires were fantastic, I never felt A tire slip, unless I horsed it, while Bob was spinning his tires almost all the time following me on the trail. There were a couple of tight areas I had to squeeze through & was fearing road rash.

I keep in the Yukon a 30’ tow strap, 2 ton come a long, 20’ logger chain, axe & bow saw plus a master flow 1050 air compressor

Future ideas are:
60” Hi Lift jack
full brush guard in the front (chromed of course)
Off road light on bumper or bars (in future)
& some overhead lighting on the roof racks, so when I am camping etc
* & possibly the 6” lift kit one day (& maybe 4” body lift too)
Possibly a nice off road front & rear bumper too

If & when I add accessories I will post them as I progress.
you can also check out my videos on youtube (same username as here)
I studied many other full size rigs here on this forum for ideas…& that is my inspiration & motive

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Bob & I ventured over the Clark hill class IV trail/road from West Rutland to Ira, VT. Normally you can run a 2 wheel drive vehicle over this road, not after tropical storm Irene passed through. Bob took Starting off on the very narrow trail & this is when I realized I forgot the GoPro.

Heading downhill towards stream, open and mostly dry here.

Stream crossing location, not bad going in, other side seems up @ 45 degrees with loose gravel etc

My Yukon across the trail, you can see Snowmobile Bridge there too.

I wish we had pictures of the other stream crossing we had to endure through. This crossing I actually dropped it down into 4 low. It was down a two to three foot bank until your bumper hit the other side and then up another embankment of rocks…while the Yukon was leaning severely to the left, this is where I was praying. Finally the front drivers tire grabbed & up & out of that stream bed I went! However we still had to climb up what I call the S turns through the pines, this is notoriously wet and slippery. This section of trail was just barely wide enough for the Yukon to slip through unscathed. Thankful we had no rain for days prior. Bob's jeep had more than enough room though.
Bob's Jeep coming out of the uphill figure S. notice we took the higher road to the right, the left side was washed out downhill from there (maybe a rock crawler would like that)

About half way on the trail on the way out, the rest of the ride was easy & relaxing

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
made some more short video clips of various areas here in Vermont
Fording a small river in Montgomery VT
Exploring Breadloaf Wilderness area, near middlebury
brandon & Florence area
an area near killington
fairhaven

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Ok so I bit the bullet & ordered this light bar, thought it would fit the flow of the SUV more then the pre runner style (too extreme)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NFB-G035LB-TX/ even though I orderd mine from 4wheelparts for less a lot less

from my research it looks like I will most likely order the euro style off road lights for this bar so as to have a wider beam pattern etc http://www.autoanything.com/lights/65A1325A0A0.aspx or maybe the euro in the middel & the fog off to the sides? most likely 4 euro's

then a roof cargo basket with some lights up there...

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Exploring some old familiar trails in Ira
Part 1
Part 2

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Yesterday I picked up off Craigslist a Rola cargo basket
didnt like how it looked on my Yukon, so I gave it to my mother for her jeep & here is the video of such

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Not tinfoil

Clean truck. Welcome.

Question: Is that tin foil you put in the back above the tail lights?

No :Wow1: its chrome pinstripping tape but only in 3/8 width strips

I thought it looked neat there, since the rear of the truck was lacking

I originally had a graphics shop try to install chrome vinyl ove rit but its too curved & it failed

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
LOL, I spent the last month taking all the chrome off mine. Grill, door handles and all the side molding. If you were closer I would give you all the chrome trim... Keep up the good work.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
LOL, I spent the last month taking all the chrome off mine. Grill, door handles and all the side molding. If you were closer I would give you all the chrome trim... Keep up the good work.

maybe you could sell it somewhere ?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Mike, good on you to put that cargo rack on your mothers Jeep. You are right, it is a little too small for your ride. You could always get a custom one fabricated that suits your needs, or Aluminess that is a sponsor on this website has some for sale that would probably be a perfect match. Anyways, keep getting that truck dirty offroad and then we wont have to cover our eyes from the glare:Wow1: of that chrome on your rig. Happy travels, cheers Chilli.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94