A340F left hand drop low-range transfer case search.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I recently bought a 1KZ (3 liter turbo diesel) powered 1994 Hiace. To get the better engine, I sacrificed low-range with the “Full-Time 4WD” (AWD) set up that comes with the 1KZ engine. I have an A340F transmission with a left side drop - which seems to be the core problem with just throwing in most Taco/4Runner trans/T-case setups (they seem to typically have a right-hand drop) as a replacement. Ultimately, I’d like to swap out the trans/T-case to get low-range.
I know Toyota offers other A340s with a left-hand drop T-case, I’m just having trouble figuring out what they came in so I can track one down.

Anyone have insights?

thank you,

Sal R.

If my findings are right, TCs from 3.4L T4Rs and Tacos could work on the A340F. FJCs might have them too, but there's a distinction between manual and auto trans that I haven't decoded yet.

bkg

Explorer
I have an A340F transmission with a left side drop - which seems to be the core problem with just throwing in most Taco/4Runner trans/T-case setups (they seem to typically have a right-hand drop) as a replacement.

I'm not sure I'm following... All Tacoma's since 1995.5 have drivers-drop transfer cases. Same with 1996+ 4Runners. They also have the A340F transmission.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I'm not sure I'm following... All Tacoma's since 1995.5 have drivers-drop transfer cases. Same with 1996+ 4Runners. They also have the A340F transmission.

I’m the first to admit I’m not overly familiar with all the intricacies of Toyota transmissions and transfer cases. Sorry if my statement was confusing/poorly informed as a result. The big reason I am such a die-hard Toyota fan is because I spent so many years fiddling with European cars, that I wanted something I didn’t need to know inside and out in order to make sure I got home.

I have read that, after 95, there was a switch to a left hand drop, but I was running Into information about case changes on the A340 as well as ECU variances. I wasn’t sure what is compatible and/or what would need to be done to adapt a later model T-case. Do the later ones bolt up, can you just swap the ECU or does it need to piggyback? I’m a bit foggy as to whether the trans and T-case can be separated, or if the entire unit would need to be swapped. It isn’t a deal break to buy an entire unit, I just want to avoid a 4 month piece-by-piece ebay epic.

An electronically activated Low-Range would be great since trying to figure out fabrication of manual linkage to shift would probably end up a disaster for me as long as it works at the end of the day and doesn’t take 6 months of crying and 47 cases of beer to get it sorted.

thank you,

smokeysevin

Observer
For your application, do you need a left hand (us drivers side) or right hand (us passengers side) drop?

Sean

Ruffin' It

Explorer
As far as I know, all first gen tacoma, 00-04 tundra, 01-04 sequoia, and 95-04 4runner cases will suit your needs. You need to identify what version of case you want though.

Sean
That’s great to hear. Thank you for weighing in.

My priorities are (in order):
- Center locking diff
- Electronic engagement
- Low-range
I’m happy with full-time 4WD, but not opposed to part-time as long as I would not have to change out my full-time from hubs. Knowing what models to look at will help me figure out what cases will fit those needs.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

smokeysevin

Observer
That’s great to hear. Thank you for weighing in.

My priorities are (in order):
- Center locking diff
- Electronic engagement
- Low-range
I’m happy with full-time 4WD, but not opposed to part-time as long as I would not have to change out my full-time from hubs. Knowing what models to look at will help me figure out what cases will fit those needs.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Sounds like you want a sequoia or one of the 4runner cases then. I don't know specifics but those are the awd cases.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles