A whole new wiring harness - 88 E350 swapped 351w?

DudeFromEngland

Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while learning, hopefully, my luck here continues! I recently bit the bullet and got a project van, the wirings a mess and I'm looking for advice on whether I should replace with new or OEM parts. I think it's beyond repair, and id like to have reliability as i plan on it being my main vehicle and doing a full restoration over the next few years.

its a 1988 e350 Pathfinder Quadravan the previous owner swapped in a 351w from what I can tell, it wasn't a 351 before and when the swap was done the original harness was used and spliced into. I've got 10+ connectors that aren't plugged in and dont match up. That being said it does run and drive albiet for 30 minutes, but thats hopefuly a fuel issue ill have sorted soon!

any advice on procedure or what and where to buy would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance

Corneilius

Adventurer
Its very common to have unused connectors. Im not familiar with that generation of van but the 92+ vans have TONS. They are generally for options/engines that your van doesn't have. I would focus on running/driving first. Swapping a harness (especially into a drivetrain swapped rig) might be opening pandoras box. What makes you think its beyond repair? Is it engine/tranny harness thats been hacked or has someone added sketch wiring for lights/batteries etc?

DudeFromEngland

Well, it seems like all the things I try to fix, the wiring is the first thing to check. So I've given a lot of the systems a good look over.

Some splices are crimped, some just twisted by hand, multiple colors are used, (a pig tail of 5 colors will be spliced into and all 4/5 become black) there'samage on a lot of the insulation and animals have nested and eaten a little too. It's not TERRIBLE, as my lights all work and as I said it will run.

Maybe I'd be better of piecing together a new harness so I know all the connections are solid and all my colors match up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dazdconfsd

Observer
If you come down to the Boulder area I'm happy to let you crawl around my 1990 E250 w/351. It is a Class B so there are some extra wires, but the basic engine harness isn't changed AFAIK. I can tell you that the E150 harness I had at one point was slightly different though. Also I can confirm there are some unused connectors.

DudeFromEngland

If you come down to the Boulder area I'm happy to let you crawl around my 1990 E250 w/351. It is a Class B so there are some extra wires, but the basic engine harness isn't changed AFAIK. I can tell you that the E150 harness I had at one point was slightly different though. Also I can confirm there are some unused connectors.
Thanks! I got it all running and I'm leaning towards keeping mine, now that I havent got to go through everything testing/checking I'm now able to just fix what I find when I find it!

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier