A Wheelchair Dudes Dodge Dakota build

corbin8or

Adventurer
I just thought I would start my own thread about the build up of my rig, a 2003 Dodge Dakota.

When I started with DE I thought about getting something else but after driving it offroad on a few trips with Lance and Wil, I have found it to be a great platform for this "hobby" we all share.
First of all it has a lot of room inside the cab for my girlfriend at least one of my wheelchairs and my horse of a dog!
Next its still a truck with a bed so I can still go out and pick up a couch or whatever! I can also carry my offroad bike/trike (pictures to come).
Styling is nice and reminds me of the curves of an 80 series (I've owned 2 of those!).
Driving it cross country a couple times has given me a great feel for how it drives... I love it! it handles great has nice tracking as a longer wheelbase vehicle.
Really the only thing I don't like about this truck is how much I pay per month to own it!!! oh well, live and learn right?

Things I have done already;
1.I have removed the rear seats for room, mainly for my dog. Astro is a 200+ pound great dane that even when standing on the floor of the truck has to duck to stick his head out of the window! Man does he love going for rides!!
2. I purchased a thule cargo basket with extension on CL and welded it to some yakima crass bars in such a way as to lower the rack coser to truck roof.
3. I fabricated (my job) a custom rack for a RTT (provided by Camping Lab)
so that it was high enough for my "bikes" to fit under it but not too high that I can still use it. It also is under the wind profile of the fairing that the rack has so I don't notice any difference in MPG.
4. Last week before a 3 day trip I took the useless center seat out of the front seat assembly and made a center console that is huge and usefull. room enough for two nalgene bottles and then wired for power for laptop and radios and a switch panel for lights and such.
5. Just came inside after my girlfriend and I removed the rear bumper and hitch stuff. Cutting the rear quarter panels off the truck for better departure angle. Planning on making a swing away rear bumper with a fold out kitchen for an "L" shaped counter area including the tailgate.

I will have more about my truck and what we are doing as Zebra Sports Adventures soon... I work as a consultant at the local VA and am planning some demo days and ride alongs for newly injured Vets, as I am a Vet too.
More later... pictures too

Last edited:

proto

Adventurer
Seriously, it sounds like you've made a great start! It'll be interesting to hear what you can do with the Dakota platform -- although I guess your goal will be more about introducing folks to the expedition lifestyle: positive attitude, self reliance, sense of adventure.

1leg

Explorer
Sound good, Can't wait to go wheeling sometime with astro and you. I really want to see that Bike of yours.

Here's Mine.

2840780617_d47eefbf9b.jpg

2841615860_956e73f38b.jpg

corbin8or

Adventurer
here

Attachments

• DSCF1319.JPG
    DSCF1319.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 788
  • DSCF1321.JPG
    DSCF1321.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 625
  • DSCF1323.JPG
    DSCF1323.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 636

corbin8or

Adventurer
Astro and bike

Attachments

• car stuf 016.jpg
    car stuf 016.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 660
  • PC300018.JPG
    PC300018.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 634
  • PC300030.JPG
    PC300030.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 605

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Cobin, Astro is flipping HUGE!!! HAHA!! Awesome dog...

I have to say, that the pics to do not do your truck justice. After seeing it in person it really is one hell of a nice rig. I like the point at which you chopped the rear quarter panels. I have been planning on doing the same to my Frontier for a while now, I just need to settle on a rear bumper design. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your rear bumper. Great work!

1leg

Explorer
Sweet bike, I wish I had known about that bike when I bought mine.

Astro is cute!! :Wow1:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Cool about time you get cracking on that rear end!

Here's some pics of Corbin's Truck that I have:

warmer%20069.JPG

product%20testing%20001.JPG

product%20testing%20004.JPG

corbin8or

Adventurer
Jerry I like your bike... how does it do offroad? how adjustable is your seating? its a Top End exelerator right? I have one (XLT GOLD KNEELER) and sell them too as one of my consulting jobs at a local DME. Rehab sales. I wonder if a more agressive seating posture would be better for you since you have trunk muscles/stabilty. I have set up many race and recreational handcycles. do you hae problems with the chain coming off in hard right turns?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz