A unique grill

Geodoc

Adventurer
Last week I went to the Washington State Fair and found this rather unique grill - it's called the Grill It! I liked the demo so much I plunked down my $ (and I'm not really an impulse buyer).

It's a lightweight, round grill (about 13" across, and 1 1/2" tall) that fits over a burner (home, RV, campstove), turning the stove into a BBQ. \

I personally hate barbequing (sorry, I guess I don't have that "man" gene), but my wife loves grilled food (veggies, salmon, etc.). Soooo, I bought the Grill It! for her and we tried it out. All I can say is "WOW!". Not only is it easy to use, it's easy to clean. First we tried veggie ka-bobs, and they turned out great. I then tried salmon fillets (I fish a lot, and I'm pretty good at it:chef:). I have to say, this was the best method of cooking salmon fillets I've ever done. You can see the fillets cook, so you know exactly when they're done. I was also able to flip the fillets (something I was hesitant to do), which helped speed up the cooking.

Clean up is easy. The top is non-stick (don't use scouring pads on it).

Needless to say, I'm impressed with it, and give it two enthusiastic thumbs up (and no, I don't sell them - remember, I only sell the Simple Shower). I'm definitely going to be carrying it on my extended expedition.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How much did you pay? Looking at the GrillIt! and it looks exactly like a product I see at my local Asian market for like $20. I've seen non-stick and cast versions (with a pebbled texture), meant to go over the top of catering burners or stovetops.

fubar

Adventurer
I also impulse-bought a Grill-it at the county fair. I have used it for grilling steaks and burgers. Xlnt results and easy clean-up. Great to have when open fires are not allowed. Always packed in the trailer and ready to go.

Geodoc

Adventurer
I paid $30 for it. Apparently, the knock-offs aren't of the same quality. I've been doing some online searching for good recipes, and uncovered all the info on the knock-offs. Don't know what the Asian versions are like, but the one Hilldweller posted doesn't look like it's quality.

moodywizard

Adventurer
actually this is pretty similar to how this korean bbq place by my house has their grills..I will have to check this out as we grill alot at home.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Originally from the south - moved west over 20 years ago. Always called it bar-be-queing :sombrero: (heck, my parents named me after an ancestor of mine, a Captain in the CSA)

Gearspoke

Adventurer
Wow this looks awesome! Any idea if it would work with an electric stove? Or is it pretty much just for gas stoves?

Geodoc

Adventurer
It supposedly works on gas, electric, and induction. We have propane, and it works fine for us (gonna try steak on it tomorrow).

Gearspoke

Adventurer
That's good. I pretty much only have access to electric stoves, which is unfortunate, but really cool that I could still get that grill taste from an electric stove.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Okay. Word of warning - be sure you put it on a burner where you can get the temperature down properly. I used it to cook veggie-ka-bobs, salmon fillets, and steaks on the other night, and, unfortunately, I put it on the one burner that doesn't go below "Medium" or "Medium High". Fluids in the pan burned completely (had to add wine several times), which led to smoking and very loud and annoying smoke detector going off (on three separate occasions). Now that I know about that, I won't be using that burner again (used a different one last time).

Now for the good news - everything came out fine. Apparently the steak was done just right, with no charring/carbonizing (my usual attempt at bbq/grilling/whatever you want to call it :chowtime:). Looks like I can stop using the broiler at home.

Now, the question remains, will it work on a campstove? Reckon I'll find out later (I'm taking the puppy camping with me next time I go).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz