A "Toyota Guy" Buys a Classic

Boss Hog

Observer
I found this bit of ancient history tonight! $45k brand new in '92. The service records up to 75,000 miles are in there too...Mrs. Hog was not impressed. Odd...

Attachments

• Photo Aug 27, 20 52 19.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 20 52 19.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 28

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I found this bit of ancient history tonight! $45k brand new in '92. The service records up to 75,000 miles are in there too...Mrs. Hog was not impressed. Odd...

LOL! I had every service record for my '94 LWB, including the original sticker invoice like you. My woman was not impressed either... hahahaha

Boss Hog

Observer
Holy ********

So I’m completely head over heels with Pippa. Totally different driving experience from my 80 “Shrek”. It’s the seating position-I think-that I enjoy so much.

But DAMN! She is draining me. Since I bought her in August, she’s had the following done:
LT230 transfer case swap from a worn out Borg Warner
New distributor & timing set to factory specs
Reman steering box
New battery (old Optima was from ‘02!)
Transmission fluid & filter replaced

And now I’ve gone off the deep end. I was offered a Disco 1 with a 4.6l engine with 40k miles. I have a receipt of the work done and drove the Disco. My 3.9 is tired & gutless, & the tranny is going to give up the ghost in the next 5-6 minutes. So for $1k, I’m now the owner of a Disco AND the RRC. Pippa will get the 4.6 & tranny swapped over...

So much for a new radio and repaired leather seats...

Attachments

• 44E312E4-D1E7-4A76-804E-3C0027E6F814.jpg
    44E312E4-D1E7-4A76-804E-3C0027E6F814.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 30
  • 1C524B32-A688-4682-A4FC-7E6B22EDE070.jpg
    1C524B32-A688-4682-A4FC-7E6B22EDE070.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 29
  • C6148331-3BF2-441C-A747-300BD1DBBF0E.jpg
    C6148331-3BF2-441C-A747-300BD1DBBF0E.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 33

Boss Hog

Observer
Damn Shame

So I’m on my way North on I-25 to watch the Army/Navy game. I’m cruising at 60 mph, enjoying the sounds of Pippa running flawlessly after $1,000s in repairs. I see the brake lights in fromt of me, I hit mine, and next thing I know WHAM!! I get rear-ended by a diesel Ram 2500 hauling two cars in a trailer. The impact knocked the transfer case out of gear and I coasted to the far right lane between the two cars in an earlier accident that caused the traffic jam in the first place.

I have an idea what the insurance company is going to say. The body damage doesn’t look that bad, but I couldn’t shift it back into 4-Hi. I had to drive it up the flatbed in 4-Lo. I could tell my center console had been pushed forward. The other guy admitted fault to the police officer and myself. He seemed a little young to be hauling two cars in a trailer from Texas in a $70k rig. But he was a stand-up guy about everything. I hope I haven’t seen the last of Pippa...

AF2D286E-5B51-4BDA-AEE9-1B3557CB8C92.jpgE11E5177-A261-44AB-A3B3-98E86C78E73A.jpgB094C42C-992D-4074-9016-FED33E268FED.jpg

Mtanzania

Sorry to hear about that! That has always been my fear driving my Range Rovers classics! All the countless dollars and time I spent building my projects could be wasted in a moment!

Best of luck

Howski

Hate to hear that. If it's a truck you plan on keeping for a long time consider buying it back if repair is manageable

Boss Hog

Observer
Well, it's my USAA vs his Progressive at this point. I want to be made “whole” again, which includes getting Pippa back on her feet for the 4.6l I've already purchased for an engine swap. The value on these Classics is all over the place, but I can document that even without the engine swap, she was pushing at least being worth five figures (lt230 conversion complete, replaced steering box, etc).

This has been the only 4x4 I've ever owned that made me look back & say “DAMN!” after I parked her. Not my pigs (FJ55s), not my FJ40, not my 4 fords; MAYBE my FJ80. I want to keep her if possible.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Well that sucks ....

Have you looked it over from underneath? The rear end damage doesn't look too bad other than bent bumper and maybe some bumper mounts. The rear cross-section looks straight although pics can be deceiving. Maybe the collision just caused a xfer case failure that was already imminent.

Boss Hog

Observer
I took a quick peek when it was on the flatbed, but I was in too much pain for a close inspection. One of the reasons I love ‘90’s era vehicles so much is because they were built so sturdily. I may get lucky and there is no frame damage. But I’ve been fairly unlucky with vehicles the last couple of years (drunk driver hit my ‘80, tranny failure in the Ford). If I was in my F150 or wife’s outback, it would’ve been much worse. So I’m hoping there’s no frame damage because I can argue ANOTHER transfercase & even tranny swap. That transfer case had maybe 200 miles since I swapped it in.

There’s a ‘94 Disco I just bought waiting for me at the shop that was just going to be an engine swap (4.6l). Now I would just swap the entire drivetrain. Assuming there’s no frame damage. All a brother can do is hope.

If there’s no hope, I wonder what I can do with this?? I drove it and everything mechanical works well, but it supposedly has “electrical issues”.
30AD54BC-6191-44DC-AC72-EFE8827ED199.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
First off, glad you are ok-and hope USAA does what they do well for you (I have found them to be fantastic).
If the worst happens and they buy you out; drop a line-I know a guy with ~20 RRCs, perhaps you and he can reach an agreement for one of them!

As far as the 94 D1 goes, 'electrical' issues can mean anything-would be worth seeing what that means. Typically they don't have many issues, or they are catastrophically f'd. So I'd validate what isn't working first to see what issues actually means, and go from there troubleshooting wise. Often it may just be as simple as cleaning a ground or making sure the battery cables aren't corroded and such.
r-
Ray

Boss Hog

Observer
First off, glad you are ok-and hope USAA does what they do well for you (I have found them to be fantastic).
If the worst happens and they buy you out; drop a line-I know a guy with ~20 RRCs, perhaps you and he can reach an agreement for one of them!

As far as the 94 D1 goes, 'electrical' issues can mean anything-would be worth seeing what that means. Typically they don't have many issues, or they are catastrophically f'd. So I'd validate what isn't working first to see what issues actually means, and go from there troubleshooting wise. Often it may just be as simple as cleaning a ground or making sure the battery cables aren't corroded and such.
r-
Ray
Why are the Discos so cheap? I bought this for $1k with a 4.6l & no rust.

Ray_G

Explorer
Why are the Discos so cheap? I bought this for $1k with a 4.6l & no rust.

Discos have never had the following that RRC's have had; hence the delta in price. It is worth noting that the Disco, from its inception in ~1989 as Project Jay, was a step between the total utility of 110/90 (aka Defenders) and the luxury of the Range Rover (Classic)-now as an unabashed Disco fan I also call them the vehicle that saved Land Rover but their numbers were higher and their price point was cheaper-so by default they are less desirable to many. Couple that with quirky looks and such and there you go.

Prices range widely depending on what area of the country you are in too, I do find it interesting you found a 4.6'd 94-while not that complex of a swap in, it does speak to someone taking the time to turn some wrenches and making that particular stroke of motor go into that truck. Not rare mind you, but far from as common/easy as dropping in a refreshed 3.9 or 4.2 14CUX motor. That you found it for as cheap as you did makes me concerned that someone had a project that they dumped a lot of effort into a troublesome motor swap and didn't sort out the finer details when putting the truck back together. Inherently the engine management and such for the 94-95 D1's is pretty simple.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Personal opinion on why Disco I & II's and RRC's are cheap. They both have the same heritage, a chassis and drivetrain derived from the Defender.

All use the same engine, the 215 Buick V8 that while light and all aluminum, was early to the manufacturing processes for aluminum engines. Those older technologies could not manage porosity and heating issues. Even Buick had issues with engine manufacturing yield, forcing moves to cast iron. Discoveries experienced those issues as head gaskets and slipped liners. Then mix in owners propensity to defer maintenance and you have a recipe for high failure rates and expensive repairs. There also use to be a disparity between the cost of American vehicle repairs and European vehicle repairs with the latter being much higher as mechanics would be fewer and higher cost. That is no longer true. Just recently someone said "Nice Rover, bet that cost a lot to maintain". When I told them it was the old Buick V8 and easy to work on they gave me this confused look highlighting they didn't have a clue.

In addition the Defender/Discovery/RRC was a full frame, solid axle design living in a world that moved to independent suspension and more cup holders than anyone needs. The heritage of the design took its toll on used prices.

Then add into the mix quality issues that Land Rover didn't learn until they were owned by Ford, then BMW, then Tata. The same path as Jaguar. I think the XJ6 is a great car but it is also "cheap" on today's market. Oh, and Lucas the Prince of Darkness reputation. Well earned in the 60's/70's but not really a issue later on. One of the common Rover "electrical" issues are the window rocker switches sourced from ......... Mercedes Benz. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles