A tale of 2 Xterra's

Dalko43

Explorer
Hello all.

First off, let me apologize in advance if my title was misleading. I am looking for car-buying advice, which I know is abundant on these types of forums. So I was hoping to get some vets, or at least people familiar with the Xterra, to chime in here.

I am currently in the market for a used Xterra Pro-4x. I don't have any intentions to conduct serious off-roading anytime soon though that may change. I would like to have the added capability that the Pro-4x offers over a base Xterra.

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 Xterra's

1) 2012 Xterra Pro-4x. About 34k miles. No tow package. 6mt. Looks decent in the dealer photos. Dealer asking $21,800

2) 2013 Xterra Pro-4x. About 15k miles. Tow package, 6mt, nav. Looks decent in the dealer photos...though its obvious that the dealer hasn't taken the time to clean all of the dirt out of the floor boards and hasn't sprayed off the under carriage (lots of dirt/gunk). Dealer asking $25,999. Dealer was originally asking $23,999, but raised the price after he couldn't get me to buy at that price.

I am inclined to go with the cheaper Pro-4x but I am worried about the 19k additional miles on it. I will also have to add a tow package or a different rear bumper (with integrated tow hitch) for that one. I don't really know how often the owners changed oil on either truck since the oil changes aren't showing up on the car fax's. Also I've heard that diff fluid, trans fluid need to be changed around the 30k mile mark and that the rear leaf springs will start to sag.

Which one makes more sense? I save a lot on the 2012 X but how much should I expect to pay more in maintenance and potential repairs.

IMO too, the dealer asking $25,999 for the 13 Pro-4x is out of his mind. I see brand new Pro-4x's going for $28k-$29k. I checked his website after he failed to persuade me to buy at $23,999 and the price had jumped up to $25,999...playing hard to get but also stupid on his part because there is no way the car will sell for that.

Feedback?

Last edited:

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Hello all.

First off, let me apologize in advance if my title was misleading. I am looking for car-buying advice, which I know is abundant on these types of forums. So I was hoping to get some vets, or at least people familiar with the Xterra, to chime in here.

I am currently in the market for a used Xterra Pro-4x. I don't have any intentions to conduct serious off-roading anytime soon though that may change. I would like to have the added capability that the Pro-4x offers over a base Xterra.

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 Xterra's

1) 2012 Xterra Pro-4x. About 34k miles. No tow package. 6mt. Looks decent in the dealer photos. Dealer asking $21,800

2) 2013 Xterra Pro-4x. About 15k miles. Tow package, 6mt, nav. Looks decent in the dealer photos...though its obvious that the dealer hasn't taken the time to clean all of the dirt out of the floor boards and hasn't sprayed off the under carriage (lots of dirt/gunk). Dealer asking $25,999. Dealer was originally asking $23,999, but raised the price after he couldn't get me to buy at that price.

I am inclined to go with the cheaper Pro-4x but I am worried about the 19k additional miles on it. I will also have to add a tow package or a different rear bumper (with integrated tow hitch) for that one. I don't really know how often the owners changed oil on either truck since the oil changes aren't showing up on the car fax's. Also I've heard that diff fluid, trans fluid need to be changed around the 30k mile mark and that the rear leaf springs will start to sag.

Which one makes more sense? I save a lot on the 2012 X but how much should I expect to pay more in maintenance and potential repairs.

IMO too, the dealer asking $25,999 for the 13 Pro-4x is out of his mind. I see brand new Pro-4x's going for $28k-$29k. I checked his website after he failed to persuade me to buy at $23,999 and the price had jumped up to $25,999...playing hard to get but also stupid on his part because there is no way the car will sell for that.

Feedback?

Go for the first one. Don't let the miles make you nervous. Drive by the second dealership on your way home with the X from the first and thank the salesman for not letting you make a stupid decision. You could damn near get a new one for the price the second dealership is asking for their used one.

tarditi

Explorer
Not much difference in model year and the miles areally aren't an issue. Go with the better deal and drive the heck out of it :)

If the nav and camera are high priority, you can add them aftermarket in the 2012...

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Get on the internet and find one. Check out Autotrader.com

I bought my 2011 Pro-4X with 15k on it in June 2013 for $21,500, It was like new, had never been off road. I drove 3 hours to get it, but it was exactly what I wanted.

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
Are you financing? Why not a new one? A couple thou diff won't change payments all that much and you'll know about oil changes, etc.

Dalko43

Explorer
Get on the internet and find one. Check out Autotrader.com

I bought my 2011 Pro-4X with 15k on it in June 2013 for $21,500, It was like new, had never been off road. I drove 3 hours to get it, but it was exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, that's been the primary place that I have been looking. The only Pro-4x I have found near that price range is the one with 34k miles. I would ideally like to find one for that price with a few miles less. I guess I'll keep looking.

Are you financing? Why not a new one? A couple thou diff won't change payments all that much and you'll know about oil changes, etc.

No financing for me, it's not the way to buy a car, unless you like paying more money. And no I'm not interested in buying new. These trucks haven't really changed since 2005. Nissan may come out with a whole new model line up or may throw the whole line up out, but either way, I see no point in paying top $ for a brand new car when there are plenty of slightly used trucks on the market.

Dmski

Adventurer
I agree with your mentality on purchasing a used car that has very little miles. As for which one, I would choose whatever one seems better maintained by the previous owner which would likely be the first one. Even though it doesn't have a hitch or NAV, those are small things that you can install yourself for nominal costs. The second one may have lower miles, but it sounds like with dirt and mud underneath it may have been abused when owned but without looking at it I couldn't tell you for sure.

Miles are not an issue generally speaking with Xterra's and since they are manual trans with the locker, you are looking at a solid setup that will get you everywhere. The other option is to continue to wait or expand your search to a broader area and hope that something comes along. Are you pressed for time/need a car immediately? If not maybe waiting is the way to go?

outback97

Adventurer
IMO buying a 2-4 year old vehicle with 30-40K miles is a good way to go. The biggest depreciation hit has already happened, major services have not been neglected (because they weren't even due yet) and if it's been taken care of it almost feels like brand new.

Another vote for Option 1 or keep looking.

Dalko43

Explorer
IMO buying a 2-4 year old vehicle with 30-40K miles is a good way to go. The biggest depreciation hit has already happened, major services have not been neglected (because they weren't even due yet) and if it's been taken care of it almost feels like brand new.

Another vote for Option 1 or keep looking.

I was anticipating having to replace the transmission and diff fluid on option 1. I thought I remember reading on the Nissan Manual that it was suggested to replace those fluids at the 30k mark.

Is that accurate, or can I hold off on doing that for a little bit longer?

I am talking to the dealer about option 1 (34k miles 2012 Pro-4x). We'll see how well it has been maintained. I am in no rush though and am more inclined to wait for a slightly less used model to come along. My options are fewer because i am very stuck on getting a manual.

docwatson

Adventurer
My vote goes for the first one as well. 34k really isn't a lot of miles, especially if you plan on keeping it for some time. Also you could have them do the service as a condition of the sale to ensure it was done. Or if you have a mechanic you trust in the area you could have them take a look at the fluids.

I wouldn't buy the second one simply because I wouldn't give my money to guy that seems like a real jack wagon.

DD196

Observer
Gotta love it! We all want a pristine never abused never dirty truck for cheap............. so we can lift it and armor it and cut it up then abuse it and get it dirty!!:smiley_drive::victory:

Guilty

Dalko43

Explorer
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

These are some photo's of the under carriage of the 12 Pro-4x with 34k miles. I see a bit of rust on what looks to be the rear leaf springs, rear differential and part of the driveline.

Does $21,800 make sense for a vehicle with this in mind?

docwatson

Adventurer
Being from Colorado, that looks insane for only being 3 years old. But rust in upstate NY I think is a way of life. Without seeing other vehicles of that age I couldn't tell you whether that's normal or not.

When my wife first moved from Ohio to Colorado and got her oil changed, the tech got under the car and popped right back out and said "You haven't lived here long have you? Because this is the most rust I have ever seen on a car."

DD196

Observer
Dalko, are you upstate NY native? I grew up and lived in western Pa until moving to Az in 05, that looks pretty normal for a 3 year old truck back there. Guys who've lived in the west or southwest all their life have no idea what underbody rust is....

The question is how does that look compared to other 3 MY old trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior