A sister for my M101A2

frenchlayer

Observer
I have a question, I have a 101a3 and want to remove the surge lunette and install the channel and lunette like you have. My parking brakes work great and I would like to keep them, can I remove the surge assembly and still keep the parking brakes?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
YES! Just remove the brake lines " maybe the wheel cylinders too" and the hand brakes will work fine.
Sell the extra parts on steelsoldiers.com

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Deck down and painted, mud flaps mounted to keep the slop off people behind me.
New Bull Dog 2" adjustible coupler, Wires Lights and ready to go.
I plan on tandem towing this one behind my 101A2 at this years Christmas Parade in my town.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 15
Mark,
I see that you use the stock Chevy wheels with center caps, my question is are you using the stock chevy lug nuts on the military studs? do you have to change anything(studs or lugs) I was under the impression that the thread size on the trailer was the same as the old chevy trucks, different than the newer chevy trucks. Any help in this area would be great!
one more thing, is the track width the same as a chevy pickup? I would like to build a trailer that has the same track width as my 1ton chevy.
jason

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I went to the auto parts with one of the military nuts found it to be 9/16"
headed home and logged onto my favorite store EBAY looked for GM dual thread lug nuts
and found what I needed. "use the larger outer thread 7/8" I think" to fit the newer GM center caps.
They work great and match the crew. Being an 8 x 6.5 patern on the trailers I only have to haul the truck spare.

The reproduction center caps are spaced a little off the face of the wheel vs OEM.

Look for a M101A2 or A3 for a hauling trailer or a M116A2 for a frame to start.

Thanks for the info, thats what I remembered that the newer chevys had a 14mm stud. I have seen in the past the lug nuts on ebay. Chevy does make two different center caps, 1 for steel chrome wheels and 1 for the aluminum wheels, maybe thats why your center caps are of the face.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Possible, The listing was generic whan I bought them.
I have 7 alike and the two on the 116A2 are repro and sit high.
Ok with me they let the water out faster.

Keep me posted on your results. The chrome caps would look good on the Alcoas.

I did find a M101A1 with the 5 lug axle, how hard is it to change over to the 8lug axle. or $$
I don't have very many of these trailers around me.
By the way, your red trailer got me looking into these type of trailers.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The spring center pin spacing should be the same on a 101A1 and 101A2
if you can find a 101A2 axle that would be best, if not have a Dexter axle built to your speks.
Look on steelsoldiers.com in the classified section there you may find an axle.

There is a great recycling yard in Kansas that gets tons of Military items they would have an axle but shipping may be expensive.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81601-BFR-Metals-Salina-Kansas-a-Goodie-Hole

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Old man winter and Mother Nature have put a hold on the trailer builds.
I am thinking of keeping the 116A2 a designated weekend hauler with a kitchen box on the front,
a rack for bikes and a canoe or stacked kayaks and a box for camping supplies.

Load a cooler and head to the beach trailer.

Attachments

• DSC08104.JPG
    DSC08104.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 12

NMC_EXP

Explorer
M116 + S250 Shelter

Mark

I've been looking for an excuse to buy an M116.

Some folks have mounted an S250 communications/electrical shelter on the M116 frame and converted the S250 to a camper.

S250 dimensions: http://www.wenzlau.com/img/photos/drawing_s250.gif

An M116/S250 build: http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm

As I recall, the S250 will fit between the M116 fender/wheel wells.

I've seen the S250 mounted in M101 series 3/4 ton trailers but this requires narrowing the wheel wells and reportedly, it is top heavy and unstable.

I like your Alpenflage paint.

Regards

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles