A short expedition

verdesardog

Explorer
Down Fossil Creek road to the Verde river at the old Childs power plant site to retrieve the Red Rock Ranger District river patrol forest rangers.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
OK, this expedition report is leaving me with more questions than answers :D

A. Is that farm jack bending in pic 3?
B. Are you being facetious about the word expedition?
C. Solid work on the recovery, any more back story on what happened?

verdesardog

Explorer

A. Is that farm jack bending in pic 3?
C. Solid work on the recovery, any more back story on what happened?

The hi lift did bend a bit during the recovery but nothing permanent. I would say it was an expedition according to the definition in Webster's dictionary. We were going down Fossil Creek road recover 5 forest rangers at the old Childs power plant site that had spent a week floating down the Verde River eradicating invasive trees.

It was the first real use of the solid base I made for my jack:

DSC_36462.jpg

It did hold well in the mud!

More of the story here:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120239-When-only-a-hilift-will-do

cruiseroutfit

The hi lift did bend a bit during the recovery but nothing permanent.

Gotcha, couldn't tell from the other pics if it resulted in a permanent yield. Kinda surprised to see it bending under what appears to be a relatively lighter load? Perhaps that trailer is quite a bit heaver than it looks.

I would say it was an expedition according to the definition in Webster's dictionary.

Fair enough, to each their own ;)

It was the first real use of the solid base I made for my jack:

View attachment 202340

It did hold well in the mud!

More of the story here:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120239-When-only-a-hilift-will-do

Right on, glad to see it worked out well.

verdesardog

Explorer
The bend in the jack rail was due to stress of it being tied at the top to keep the jack from sliding sideways. The lip on the tounge of the jack did not let the trailer move out as it was lifted. You can see it's bent at the top not below the lifting point. It was tied with 1" webbing which broke when the trailer was pushed side ways off the jack....

verdesardog

Explorer

Jonathan Hanson (Executive Editor, Overland Journal. Elected Fellow, Explorers Club) has contributed addition criteria. An expedition should comprise one of the following, two or more preferred.
1. A journey with a higher purpose—undertaken, for example, to increase scientific knowledge, promote conservation, or render humanitarian aid.
2. A journey that includes a significant risk factor, whether due to remoteness, environmental factors, or terrorist/military/criminal activity, for example.

Higher purpose: extract the forest rangers and thier equipment from the Verde River

Significant risk: Dangerous extremly slippery muddy remote road

cruiseroutfit

...Jonathan Hanson (Executive Editor, Overland Journal. Elected Fellow, Explorers Club) has contributed addition criteria. An expedition should comprise one of the following, two or more preferred.
1. A journey with a higher purpose—undertaken, for example, to increase scientific knowledge, promote conservation, or render humanitarian aid.
2. A journey that includes a significant risk factor, whether due to remoteness, environmental factors, or terrorist/military/criminal activity, for example.

Higher purpose: extract the forest rangers and thier equipment from the Verde River

Significant risk: Dangerous extremly slippery muddy remote road

Fair enough, it's your trip... dress it up and call it what ever you want. Kinda like devaluing the dollar imo ;)

verdesardog

Explorer
Fair enough, it's your trip... dress it up and call it what ever you want. Kinda like devaluing the dollar imo ;)

???? why just because it's not a long trip? Trip reports go into the trip report section, most of these in this section are only trip reports.

According to the owners of this site this was an expedition no matter how short it was.

What was the last expedition you were on? And I don't mean just a long trip.....it would have to have had a purpose to be called an expedition.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...n-A-helpful-guide-for-posting-in-this-section

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/43953-New-rule-Read-this-post!!!!!!!

cruiseroutfit

???? why just because it's not a long trip? Trip reports go into the trip report section, most of these in this section are only trip reports.

Sorry, I didn't intend to ruffle your feathers and frankly I wasn't sure you actually intended to post it here or were being facetious as often happens jestingly on the forum.
(Read here for my thought process: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-between-a-backcountry-and-overland-adventure)

What was the last expedition you were on? And I don't mean just a long trip.....it would have to have had a purpose to be called an expedition.

Sorry, I didn't intend to have a argument nor 'flex off' with you. Looks like you had a trip and a successful recovery, always a good feeling, good work & carry on.

Edit: I'd be happy to delete my comments if you desire as the confusion was obviously all my own.

Last edited:

Mtn Mike

Observer
More of an expedition than some of the yuppie vacation photo albums I see on here :lurk: Would have liked to see more vehicle shots though. :ylsmoke:

cruiseroutfit

More of an expedition than some of the yuppie vacation photo albums I see on here :lurk: Would have liked to see more vehicle shots though. :ylsmoke:

Example of the 'yuppie photo albums' your referring to? Any of your trip reports you would like to share? With all those "expo" rigs you must have some reports ;)

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i always have a hi lift on my rigs and when i need them they are worth their weight in gold. Evertime i use them though im terrified that its going to go wrong and come flying out or something, even though ive always followed all the safety rules and have never had any issues using them lol.

I guess all the horror stories ive heard of make me worry, hopefully that just means ill always have that healthy respect for how dangerous they can be when used improperly.

I really like those mounts though, look like they would be perfect in mud or anything soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles