A "Shocking" decision to make..Bilstein's or Fox?

conifers4

Suburban nomad
I understand that both Bilstein and Fox have a long history of making shocks. I however have a long history of not being able to make decisions so here is the question I need to answer. I will be purchasing a 2.5" coil lift and want to replace my OEM shocks on an '07 JKU. Mostly street driven but building the truck to handle trails and off road excursions, no hard core rocks and such. Do I go with the Bilstein 5100 or spend another $150-$200 on Fox Racing shocks?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Seems to me if you don't need the extra strength and cooling of a race shock save the money for other mods.
Darrell

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The lift kit your are buying, does it have an option of either of those brands? Or are you just thinking of buying generic shocks? If the lift kit company offers a shock package, alot of times they will be valved to the application which is a bonus. So if that option exists I would go that way regardless of shock brand. If there are no shocks available that are designed along with the kit, then the Bilsteins get my recommendation for their performance and price.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It all depends on which is valved appropriately for the application.

They are both good brands.

bob91yj

Resident **************
The Fox's will be rebuildable, custom valving/tuning available , the Bilstein 5100's are not.

Bilstein 7100's are another option, I have them on my LJ (with remote reservoirs). Overall I'm very happy with them. I haven't been able to run the Jeep hard enough to get them to fade at all, the Rancho 9000's they replaced would overheat and fade to nothing in 5 minutes of hard running. They do need a few miles of travel before they warm up. Mine are pretty stiff on a cold morning.

What ever you decide on, make sure the shocks are not your "limiters" in either direction. Limiting straps to prevent over extending them, and proper bumpstops to keep them from bottoming out are vital.

ExpoMike

I am not sure where this rumor of Bilstein 5100's are not rebuildable or can't have custom valving, comes from but YES, the can be and I have had numerous sets done over the years. The difference is that Bilstein has to do them, not just any shop. For any vehicle I have, if Bilstein's have an option for them, that's what I run, period.

Another option in the Bilstein line up are the new 5160's. Remote reservoir like the 7100's without the cost. A nice step up from the 5100's if you think heat fade might be an issue. I have them on my Ram and love them.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I saw the 5160's when Bilstein was testing them on a Dmax. I went price shopping for them, expecting them to fall between the 5150 and the 7100's...turns out they are more expensive than 7100's!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd get a 2.5" kit from OME or BDS and run thier shocks.

No need for fancy shocks on a regular Jeep.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I didnt know 5100s's are rebuildable. They dont look like it. If possible I would think it would cost as much as new ones anyways.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
When was the last time anybody faded a set of Bilsteins on an Expidition rig

2005. They got so hot that the rod discolored on both rear shocks & developed a bunch of cracks.

Of course, to be completely fair, I doubt any comparable shock from a different manufacturer would have fared any better.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
BDS partnered with Fox to make a shock. It's like $100.

The more expensive, upgraded BDS shocks have the same valving and feel as the regular BDS kit shock. The more expensive ones just last longer and can handle more heat before fading.

I stick with regular BDS shocks because fullsize trucks, that I'm into, can eat shocks. Replacing good shocks often gets expensive. I'd rather run the cheaper shocks and change them more often, especially my rears which are more likely to get damaged.

Rubicon Express used to have really good shocks. Are they still around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94