A Scrambler's Homecoming

same feeling with my old cj-7

I know that feeling I had dreams about mold cj-7 golden eagle here it is and Now here is my other jeep a 08 rubi 4dr I had driven up over a rocky 2 track trail to a beach in bigger to camp out. and surf those were the days. The is sitting on the beach by one of those driftwood shelters you see from time to time.

Attachments

• jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 44
  • at jeep in anza.jpg
    at jeep in anza.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 46

moabian

I popped the top for the first time in 20 years and went cruisin' Saturday...grabbed these shots with my little point 'n' shoot camera:

cobound

Adventurer
Damn that sure is sweet! Unmolested, looks so damn nice...I have a built '84, considered selling a few times but it's so unique, hard to let it go.

Was just out with it in Moab over EJS, wish I had seen this, would've tried to connect.

Thanx for sharing, she's a Beauty!!

B

toymaster

Explorer
Extreme congratulations on finding a long lost love in such exquisite shape. Finding a scrambler in such fine shape is extremely rare much less one you have history with.

While I had considered Herculiner and bedliner, I was talked out of that by the guys on the CJ8 forum. It doesn't belong in a classic vehicle and could cause all kinds of problems down the road...especially if you get even a pinhole in it which would allow water underneath. Most of the bedliner I've seen looks great when new, but really bad after awhile. After seeing some ugly photos of attempted removal of sprayed-in bedliner and the rust underneath, I would never put spray-in or brush-on bedliner in a vehicle.

I agree your scrambler is a survivor and should be kept stockish as long as possible. However, for a restomod protective coatings are extremely practical and increase the longevity of the vehicle. The 'problems' you mention are created from improper install, a failure in the preparation stage. Correctly applied coatings should be bonded to the surface. If bonding does not occur then the protective coatings keep the moisture on the metal instead of away from it, there is a little bit of irony here.

I find more and more my vehicular dreams revolve around restomods. To take a body that inspires, and sometimes frame, and give it a new life with a modern power train and conveniences is the ultimate. A completely new vic just does not have the heart and soul.

moabian

To take a body that inspires, and sometimes frame, and give it a new life with a modern power train and conveniences is the ultimate.

I have to disagree. One reason I got rid of the JK and started looking for a CJ was because of simplicity. Modern vehicles are much harder to work on in the field (or on an expedition) than older vehicles...unless you are a computer expert. There's something slightly wrong with having to reboot a vehicle in the wilderness...which I had to do once. In that instance, I started the JK and all kinds of strange things happened. The wipers would not turn off, there was no information in the EVIC, numerous warning lights were on, etc. Luckily, I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting the batteries, waiting a few moments, then reconnecting. Modern conveniences can be very inconvenient.

Since today is Independence Day, I thought I'd post an appropriately patriotic, all-American photo with lots of red, white and blue. Since I reacquired the Scrambler, it has looked naked without the old signs on the side boards. So I had the original hand-painted signs for my business re-created by the original artist and got the boards back a few days ago. I took this photo yesterday a few hundred feet from my cabin.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Righteous. Your scrambler takes me back to days long gone. I remember a close family friend/neighbor bought one. Red. I thought it the coolest truck/jeep ever--still do. Awesome that the Universe sent this one back to you. Drive on...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have to disagree. One reason I got rid of the JK and started looking for a CJ was because of simplicity. Modern vehicles are much harder to work on in the field (or on an expedition) than older vehicles...unless you are a computer expert. There's something slightly wrong with having to reboot a vehicle in the wilderness...which I had to do once. In that instance, I started the JK and all kinds of strange things happened. The wipers would not turn off, there was no information in the EVIC, numerous warning lights were on, etc. Luckily, I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting the batteries, waiting a few moments, then reconnecting. Modern conveniences can be very inconvenient.

Since today is Independence Day, I thought I'd post an appropriately patriotic, all-American photo with lots of red, white and blue. Since I reacquired the Scrambler, it has looked naked without the old signs on the side boards. So I had the original hand-painted signs for my business re-created by the original artist and got the boards back a few days ago. I took this photo yesterday a few hundred feet from my cabin.

If you had added ".com" to your signs I'm sure the Scrambler would have spontaneously combusted! I just bought a 1984 CJ7 with only 52,000 on it from the second owner. I got all the original manuals etc with it, including the original bill of sale from '84. It is making me think back to my highschool days when my Jeep would have been new. I used to mail order from Desert Rat in Az out of the back of Four Wheeler magazine and still have a set of KC Daylighters and a Warn 8274 that will find its way onto the CJ! I've since had an '05 TJ Rubicon and an '11 JK Rubicon. The CJ wins every time.

moabian

Almost simultaneously with the re-discovery and re-acquisition of my Scrambler, Peterson's 4-Wheel & Off-Road reprinted a four-page 1981 review of the Scrambler in their May, 2016, issue. It included a comparison of the newly-introduced CJ8 with a 1929 Model A Roadster pickup (see below). Since my neighbor owns a 1930 Model A, I thought I would create my version of the photos that appeared in the magazine...and maybe improve on them a bit. My neighbor's truck is a 1930 Model A Closed Cab Pickup. He has owned it for 50 years. His truck was manufactured in early 1930 and has a 1929 body since the '29 commercial truck bodies were continued to mid-1930. They made good use of leftover parts in those days.

Jeep's new pickup (JL?) can only hope to be so cool. Hopefully, they will produce a 2-door model...but don't hold your breath. With 4 doors and a removable top, at least they can still say "it's like nothin' you've ever seen."

moabian

Absolutely beautiful pics you have here, and the story of you and this jeep is amazing. I love this thread.

Thanks...it's hard to take a bad picture around Moab. I've been trying for well over 40 years.

So in the spirit of calling this a "build thread," I'll recount a few things I did last week. I spent a couple of days polishing the Jeep…again. I still wasn't happy with the appearance of the passenger side and hood. For some reason, paint on the passenger side was more oxidized than the driver's side. The decals on the rear quarter panel were very chalky. In a recent TV show called “Competition Ready”, I learned of a paint cleaner made by Sonax, a German company, that is used by professional detailers for high-end custom vehicles entered in competitions. I probably spent 3 hours just on the hood. I finished it with a coat of NuFinish Paste, which has been the only polish I've used for at least 10 years. The passenger side decals look nearly new again and the paint on the passenger side and hood now shines very nicely. Even the patina shines!

I understand the malls have been playing Christmas music since about the Fourth of July…so thought I might as well get in the spirit. Since it's the Scrambler's first Christmas back home, I picked up a few presents for it...new Rancho 5000X shocks, new auxiliary lighting, new mirrors, headlight and taillight guards, hood latches, and windshield tie-down kit. I also picked up a Rancho steering stabilizer but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I was literally shocked when I pulled the shocks. The old ones were no longer shock absorbers. They were just dead weight. After I removed the old shocks, I could easily extend or compress them to any point along their travel length and they would stay in that exact position. They've probably been completely useless for quite a few years. We went cruisin' out to Island in the Sky Friday and it rides significantly smoother now.

In looking back through some photos from a previous century, I discovered that the Jeep had a square black mirror on the driver's side and no mirror on the passenger side when I bought it. The new mirrors are (again) square and made of black powder-coated stainless steel. As long as I was switching the mirrors to black stainless steel, I ordered matching hood latches and a windshield tie-down kit. The padding on the loops where the windshield rests on the hood was about gone. And since there was some rust on the chrome mesh headlight and taillight guards, I ordered those in black also. I was apparently into chrome in the 80's.

I've been engaged in a debate with myself for months about the type of auxiliary lighting I wanted to install…on the bumper. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the stupidest mistake I ever made with any Jeep was to mount lights above the windshield. As incredible as the new LED lights are (had Rigid's on my JK and now have them on my '16 Canyon), they just would not look correct on an unmolested CJ. I had Hella Black Magic Rally 1000 lights on my '03 Rubicon and was impressed with them. So that's what I installed last week.

Whew...is the "build" done yet? It's been a grueling process.

Here is a photo taken probably a week or 3 after I bought it in 1982...before the winch was installed and sideboards were painted...a Brand New Scrambler!

And a few taken last Friday, a couple of which were posted in another thread but thought I'd repost here:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very tastefully... built. :beer:
The detailing looks awesome.
Were the OEM shocks gas charged? I figured they'd just be emulsion monotubes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online