A.R.E. Shell how to Close/Lock from inside?

Superduty

Adventurer
I got an A.R.E. shell for my truck. It is their DCU model shell . It is not designed to be closed or locked from the inside (assuming you wanted to sleep inside). What solution do people come up with in order to close (and maybe lock) a shell from the inside? Also would like to eliminate the chance that someone could lock me in the shell (unlikely, but I don't want friends playing jokes on me either) The model I have has a full hatch rear door (tailgate removed).

Of note - The latching system turns 90 degrees to close the door. The T handle folds out and then back in. The big problem is that once it is folded down it won't turn, which means it is impossible to turn from the inside. The only solution I could think if is to make a removable lever for the outside and remove it when going inside. Has anyone done such a thing?

If the handle was removed then I could use a wrench to turn the locking assembly from the inside. Any other suggestions.

t handle.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Maybe something like...drill a very small hole behind the “T” junction of the handle, leave in place a short piece of strong straight wire thru the hole, with a small loop grip on inside and slightly flattened split “Y“ on the outside to catch the handle, use it to push the handle out, use your wrench idea for turning it from inside?

Main challenge is figuring the best way to grasp the T handle well enough to shove it out with this. You might have to flatten the Y end a bit or make it more horseshoe shaped. You also might want to add some substance to back of the T handle to give the push rod a better grip.

1588624489327.png
But your removal of the lever idea sounds best. Just take off that T handle, find a socket that very snugly fits over the remaining bolt head, use that socket with a short wrench handle to turn the lock when accessing it from the outside.

B712D9C4-C4A8-4E19-9272-D73B8537DAE6.jpeg551ADB07-177C-46C2-A1B6-A027373B7014.jpeg

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here is what the inside of your door lock may look like (from a parts catalogue), if that’ll help you figure what to do inside the shell:

A9933F2B-1458-4FC1-8BA7-55035B854C24.jpeg

chet6.7

Explorer
I put this lock on the T handle.Does your shell have a rod on the inside that is actuated by the T handle that slides into the floor? If so, an Allen key fits that,I keep one taped to the inside of the door.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I put this lock on the T handle.Does your shell have a rod on the inside that is actuated by the T handle that slides into the floor? If so, an Allen key fits that,I keep one taped to the inside of the door.

Interesting idea...I can’t quite seem to figure out how this would fit though.
Can you post a picture of how you’re using it, please?

Superduty

Adventurer

This is a great idea. I will see if that will work with mine. Mine has rods that go to each side, but I think it is the same concept.

chet6.7

Explorer
This is a great idea. I will see if that will work with mine. Mine has rods that go to each side, but I think it is the same concept.
Check out this thread,the picture I posted is of several locks because that is what I had at the time.Just put the #40 lock around the shaft of the T handle,it should make it where the handle won't quite fit into the recess that stops the handle from turning.I will post a picture if necessary.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Check out this thread,the picture I posted is of several locks because that is what I had at the time.Just put the #40 lock around the shaft of the T handle,it should make it where the handle won't quite fit into the recess that stops the handle from turning.I will post a picture if necessary.
Thanks Chet6.7

I just read your thread.....i actually think i have a #40 lock sitting in the garage, finally a use for that lock. Sone of the welds on my DCU are a joke as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier