A question for Wildernest owners or experts

I recently bought a Wildernest for a shortbed small pickup which was originally bought in 1991. The Nest came off of a 1989 toyota pickup which was the truck it was originally installed on. When I bought the Nest I thought it would work on any shortbed toyota (in this case a 2003 tacoma) because the bed dimensions are almost exactly the same. What I didn't count on was the bed rails on the tacoma being much skinnier than on the older pickups. This being the case, the screw holes in the nest barely line up with the bedrails of the tacoma and certainly wouldn't work with washers. I am wondering what other tacoma owners have done with their wildernest to make it fit properly. Custom brackets? Clamps? drill new holes? something else?

The Tacoma measures 57.5 inches from inside bedrail to inside bedrail the wildernest measures about 57.75 from eye to eye.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Camper shell mounting clamps instead?

41-PTjpKPxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for the quick response. This is how I have it mounted right now, and it works well for holding the shell on and driving around town or on the freeway. But, I have been warned against using the clamps as a permanent solution or using them while sleeping in the Nest. Do you think this is a real concern or just plain over cautious?

RR1

Explorer
I used to have one on my 1st gen Tacoma. It will bolt up, it will be tight tho', might have to drill new holes in the shell to get proper alignment.

DO NOT use clamps, you are right in being overly cautious.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
DO NOT use clamps, you are right in being overly cautious.
Yes! This is good advice, in an accident and off pavement those clamps and WilderNests do not agree. Best is to drill into the rails. The 'Nest from a pre-1995 Pickup will fit 1st gen Tacoma trucks, the dimensions are very close. I would epoxy in dowels in the old holes and re-drill. I've done this a few times without issue.

RR1

Explorer
Dave is the King of Wildernest, from what I read, listen to him he is wise on the wares of everything Wildernest.

Use Grade 8 bolts and large washers on the shell lip. As I believe it is fiberglass wrapped wood. I went one step further and ran a piece of aluminum stock the length of the lip, probably overkill though.

Use lock washers, lock nuts, or thread locking compound as well, the clinically insane will use all three.:elkgrin:

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Aw shucks. :)

Grade 8 is probably overkill in the application, but can't hurt. I like using stainless, which is I think close to grade 5.

Nylok nuts, best option IMVHO. They don't need to be super snug to work and can tolerate the uneven-ness of the fiberglass mounting rails.

One more question, if I drill new holes, is there anything beneath the fiberglass I should be careful to drill through (or not drill through); for instance a metal or wood bar or reinforced area?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to damage such an amazing and limited product.

DaveInDenver

One more question, if I drill new holes, is there anything beneath the fiberglass I should be careful to drill through (or not drill through); for instance a metal or wood bar or reinforced area?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to damage such an amazing and limited product.
No worries. The mounting rails are wood enclosed under the fiberglass. There's really nothing you need to worry about avoiding, but do try and keep in a little from the very edges. It's plywood and IIRC about 3/4" thick. It's really designed specifically for you to drill through and bolt-down. Like RRC1 says, you should use fender washers or something to spread the load, with enough force and time the fiberglass can start to crack. Eventually, like maybe some day. WilderNest shells are really pretty stout, though, so don't worry too much.

DaveInDenver

This is what it looks like under the fiberglass rails. Sorta before and after shots. This is BTW, what you have to do to use those clamps, hack the rails all apart. Not good. After epoxying in a new wood patch, I re-fiberglassed the rail. Point is, there is a lot of material in those rails to work with as long as you stay away from the edges where there is only fiberglass.

DSC01002_thumb.jpg

DSC01027_thumb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior