The Grand Terrainer: 2017+ Ford F-250 and SpaceKap Diablo 8'

erstwild

I've been thinking about getting a RCLB 6.2 F250 to put my spacekap on. Does the payload sticker match the 3830 lbs that the Ford brochure says it can carry? and what MPGs are you seeing? thanks.

On mine, it indicates a 3812 lb payload so pretty close. Really amazing payload on these. Even with the comparatively light load of the SpaceKap, I do recommend upgrading the stock shocks and adding some SumoSpring Rebel helper springs or equivalent to the rear. Very confidence inspiring handling after those improvement particularly off camber. I get about 11.5-12 mpg, but I drive the fastlane on the freeway and primarily drive very hilly backroads and engage low range on some dirt tracks regularly. Not a long distance daily driver or you will go broke, lol. I would probably take a serious look at the Ford Transit AWD High Roof or Chassis Cab with a Total Composites box with a pass through for a more efficient daily driver option.

mobydick 11

I keep going back to look at your camper . It has to be one of the cleanest, simple and functional rigs I have seen . Again very nice set up. I can't believe now that I have a Spacekap how many I see on the road ,especially around the Toronto area . Yesterday I saw one called a Spacekap Super ,it was well over 6 feet tall inside I think. still not sure how I will build mine out yet ,or what it will go on.

erstwild

I keep going back to look at your camper . It has to be one of the cleanest, simple and functional rigs I have seen . Again very nice set up. I can't believe now that I have a Spacekap how many I see on the road ,especially around the Toronto area . Yesterday I saw one called a Spacekap Super ,it was well over 6 feet tall inside I think. still not sure how I will build mine out yet ,or what it will go on.

Thanks for the compliment! I really did spend a lot of time working through the design and sourcing high-quality components. My approach was balancing "where maximalist capability meets minimalist design" which basically equates to "thoughtfully overbuilt simplicity" in my book. I see way too many people who start with a cheaper/lighter duty platform and then completely overbuild and ruin them (way over GVWR, high COG, stupid obnoxious accessories they don't even use, etc.). Or conversely, go for something just comically expensive, huge, impractical, and overkill usually manifest that they cannot park it or drive it anywhere tight at all. I wanted to build something that I could comfortably live and work in full-time, bulletproof reliability, and travel to some places reasonably off the beaten path (no rock crawling or OHV parks with something I actually live in, lol). For example, I didn't lift the suspension (just increase COG, even less clearance, etc.), the only real reason I even added the impressive LOD front bumper was to protect the vehicle from deer/cattle impacts since I am a full-timer and that would just be so inconvenient, etc.

Definitely, I'm sure you would see a lot of them in Ontario and Quebec in particular. The Diablo is the full standing height model. I have only seen one in use in my local area stateside for as a gas/electric utility company work truck.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I like your camper! Simple and clean. I'm curious how wide it is inside where your bed is located? I don't think it will be quite enough for me to have my bed arranged that way.

Also, anyone have tips for how to find a used one in the US? Ebay and craigslist have nothing within 1000 miles. Tried Spacekap, Maranda, Tufport.

erstwild

I like your camper! Simple and clean. I'm curious how wide it is inside where your bed is located? I don't think it will be quite enough for me to have my bed arranged that way.

Also, anyone have tips for how to find a used one in the US? Ebay and craigslist have nothing within 1000 miles. Tried Spacekap, Maranda, Tufport.

I'm 6'2" and I sleep comfortably in this configuration if I layer 2 pillows as a bit of ramp for shoulders/neck/head, sleep at just a slight angle if not, or side sleep and naturally bend my knees just a little. It is 75" inches at its widest (not counting the ribs or paneling).

Danm7890

Yours looks great, nice and clean. You’re right that the area is tight in the top space. I made mine accommodate a queen up top with a section that slides into place. I can fit up there but it’s tight. Great spot for a couple kiddos though!

jrubicon

I wish I can find a Diablo 6 here in the west, or at least in the US. i want to fab my own camper like yall did

mobydick 11

Thanks for the compliment! I really did spend a lot of time working through the design and sourcing high-quality components. My approach was balancing "where maximalist capability meets minimalist design" which basically equates to "thoughtfully overbuilt simplicity" in my book. I see way too many people who start with a cheaper/lighter duty platform and then completely overbuild and ruin them (way over GVWR, high COG, stupid obnoxious accessories they don't even use, etc.). Or conversely, go for something just comically expensive, huge, impractical, and overkill usually manifest that they cannot park it or drive it anywhere tight at all. I wanted to build something that I could comfortably live and work in full-time, bulletproof reliability, and travel to some places reasonably off the beaten path (no rock crawling or OHV parks with something I actually live in, lol). For example, I didn't lift the suspension (just increase COG, even less clearance, etc.), the only real reason I even added the impressive LOD front bumper was to protect the vehicle from deer/cattle impacts since I am a full-timer and that would just be so inconvenient, etc.

Definitely, I'm sure you would see a lot of them in Ontario and Quebec in particular. The Diablo is the full standing height model. I have only seen one in use in my local area stateside for as a gas/electric utility company work truck.
Hope you are doing well. So I bought a new F250 regular cab long box today . I am very impressed with how rugged these trucks are built . was looking at the 150 but then it would need a lot of upgrades . So like you said throw on some good tires and go exploring with the 250. I was lucky and found one with what is called the snow plow- camper package . it gives you heavier front coil springs and better shocks and the back has an extra leaf helper spring and big yellow bump stops . It even has E lock on the rear end .Hope to start the spaceKap build out after the new year . thank you for the KEEP IT SIMPLE inspiration

erstwild

One small upgrade I have made is replacing the canvas duffle bags for storage in the cabover with 2 x Rightline Sport Waterproof Car Top Carrier Bags. I was initially looking at some very spendy dry bag duffel bags, but these should do the trick just fine. I had just noticed that due to the cabover floor curvature that a little water occasionally pooled in the corners. Also, these will make it easier to clean and dust up there.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Your Truck and Spacekap look great.
I wish they would make a camper based shell with some optional windows, vent and insulation.

rruff

Explorer
I wish they would make a camper based shell with some optional windows, vent and insulation.

Me too. Seems odd that all these "Spacekap" style shells are made in Canada. The basic shell that is >$10k is just FG sprayed in a mold.

I'd prefer a hand layup over a foam core with some curved pieces and tall enough to stand in, wide enough at the front to sleep crosswise (at least 75"), with a sleeping berth over the cab. You could charge $10k and make good money if you were set up for it. The problem is getting a great automotive type finish which is nearly impossible, but wouldn't bother me a bit.

erstwild

Me too. Seems odd that all these "Spacekap" style shells are made in Canada. The basic shell that is >$10k is just FG sprayed in a mold.

I'd prefer a hand layup over a foam core with some curved pieces and tall enough to stand in, wide enough at the front to sleep crosswise (at least 75"), with a sleeping berth over the cab. You could charge $10k and make good money if you were set up for it. The problem is getting a great automotive type finish which is nearly impossible, but wouldn't bother me a bit.

I agree. If you were to only have the option of buying an expensive new shell, I would definitely recommend the total composites flatbed approach. You cannot beat the extra space and insulation of going that direction.

Andreas is doing a great total composite build of the only alternative I would have considered done on the new AWD Transit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles