A new '07 4Runner for Expeditions

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
If you can fit 285s with 2.5-inches of lift + 1-in. body lift & wheel spacers, I'm thinking/hoping I could fit 255/85s with 3-inches of suspension lift.

How far off is your speedometer with your 285s?

k6uk said:
Sorry for the delay.
I have 285s. With a 1" body lift, 2.5" longer rear coils (20% firmer), Donahoes in the front, and Spidertrax wheel spacers all around to help out the lexus rims. Working great for me so far!

And she does flex nicely:
98302981-L.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What load-range are your 285s, E or D?

I have a set of E-load-range 265/75R16 Toyo M/T that could go on a lifted 4Runner, though I would prefer a softer, D-range sidewall.

If your 285s are E-range, and ride well/soft enough, maybe there is hope...

redLine

k6uk said:
Sorry for the delay.
I have 285s. With a 1" body lift, 2.5" longer rear coils (20% firmer), Donahoes in the front, and Spidertrax wheel spacers all around to help out the lexus rims. Working great for me so far!

And she does flex nicely:
98302981-L.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Ryanmb21 said:
Did you use the DAC while 4Lo and 1st gear?? It's my understanding that the system only works when in 4Lo and 1st gear, if you are in 2nd or above it doesn't work. If so, I'm surprised you didn't like it I thought it worked pretty well.

I agree, it works great, and I have put this feature to it's test, and each and every time works great for my use and liking, and I go in very steep hills with deep loose sand!

k6uk

Adventurer
Redline said:
You have Lexus rims... The tire PSI sensors are in the stock wheels as I understand it. If/when you change to a different/aftermarket wheel without the sensor what happens? Nothing? Do you simply just loose the low tire sensor feature (fine with me)?

Also, how important do you think the rear window deflector is to help keep the window clean? I like the look of the Runners better without them but think they might be very functional?

redLine/James

You can just move the wheel sensors from your stock wheels over to the new wheels... the tire shop may charge you for this. That's what I did. But, yes the only thing you have to deal with if you don't have the sensors is the dashboard light.

I have no idea about that air deflector... You may want to ask the folks at toyota120.com it's almost exclusively 4th gen 4runners over there.

Ryanmb21 said:
Did you use the DAC while 4Lo and 1st gear?? It's my understanding that the system only works when in 4Lo and 1st gear, if you are in 2nd or above it doesn't work. If so, I'm surprised you didn't like it I thought it worked pretty well.

I have used it quite a bit and it does work nicely... but... since the 4runner will engine brake in 1st gear low... most of the time I just use this option. But on certain terrain the DAC is nice.

Redline said:
If you can fit 285s with 2.5-inches of lift + 1-in. body lift & wheel spacers, I'm thinking/hoping I could fit 255/85s with 3-inches of suspension lift.

How far off is your speedometer with your 285s?

I think the 255/85s will be much more difficult since they are a bit bigger in actual diameter. The problem isn't the fender but the body mount that is right behind the front wheel. It is a serious limitation. Some guys have cut it, and then box welded it... but I don't think it does good things for your warranty situation. I think 285s are the limit without cutting that.

I'll have to check what load rating my Cooper STTs are... but they feel nice.

-Mike

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Selling the TJ/Buying A Toyota!

Not that I don't value the the opinion of Scott & TacoDoc or any others who advised against selling my nice LJ and buying a Toyota, but with some hesitation I have decided to sell my Jeep (I may buy another in a couple years :). I met up with an acquaintance last week and when he learned I was thinking of selling my Wrangler he wanted it. Although buying and selling new vehicles is always financially taxing, and adding expensive accessories doesn't help, I was able to sell my LJ for a fair price, slightly above high blue-book. Building the Jeep was a good learning experience too. Tomorrow I'll take the Jeep to him and he will give me the money. I'll pay off the Jeep note and pocket a few thousand that will go back into a 4Runner almost immediately. I know I will miss my LJ as it is a very 'cool' 4x4, nicely set-up and ready for most trails and adventures... But it is not very comfortable to spend hours behind the wheel traveling to destinations many miles away. There are always trade-offs...

I have decided I want a 4Runner instead of a Tacoma, a little shorter wheelbase, more comfortable/luxurious, V8 power, and an enclosed utility vehicle instead of a pickup (I have another pickup for hauling). I want an SR5 V8 which apparently is very hard to find, more Sports and Limiteds, and even then there are many V6s to a few V8s. Part of the problem is I'm not negotiable on two things; it has to be a White V8. I do have a line on a White SR5 V8 with a few options which will be available this coming week a few hundred miles from me. I wanted the upgraded JBL stereo but this one doesn't have it (though stereos are easy to upgrade if I chose to), and it has the extra side curtain and roll-sensing a air-bags (with a cut-off switch). I'm not really much of an air-bag fan though they do have their positives... If my wife and I were to get blasted from the side on the streets I guess we might be happy to have them. As long as we turn them off when 4wheeling we should be okay. My decision whether or not to buy this particular SR5 hinges on its sunroof option. Originally I wanted a sunroof as I thought looking up to see more of world would be beneficial, particularly off-highway. But the moon-roof option reduces headroom by 1.4-inches directly over my head. Though I'm tall, I like to raise the seat for a good view of the road/trail. I'm going to continue shopping and test drive another 4Runner with the moon-roof and power seat to see if it will be okay. It appears most 4Runners have the moon-roofs; one salesman I have had contact with did a search several hundreds miles wide and found ONE SR5 V8 without a sunroof in S. California. I haven't called on it. My timing seems good as there are rebates rebates from $1250-2000.00 depending on what and where I buy.

Until the 4Runner grows up it will be hard for it to fill the shoes of the LJ, but I have plans to do the basics rather quickly. Within the first two months I plan to lift the 'Runner about 3-inches, add a Shrockworks bumper, winch, rock slides, and tires. These mods should improve the 4Runner's off highway prowess a lot. A locker(s) and a custom rear bumper will have to wait for money and needs evaluation. Because I made this decision to change platforms before my Adventure Chaser is finished I'm getting it made with Toyota hubs instead of Jeep, saving me the chore of changing it later.

James/redLine

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Great thinking! and one thing I did right away was to install a yellow top OPTIMA battery, same plan like yours, next will be adding the tires 265/70-17"
unsure if I am going with ALL-TERRAIN tires or MUD-TERRAIN, time will tell, my wife wants the tough look:confused: , however we need to get the right mods for our future needs wich are mainly exploration/expedition type;no roxk!:rockon: however we do alot of SAND driving in remote virgin bays.:ylsmoke:

k6uk

Adventurer
Congrats!

You'll love the 4runner.
As for the stereo... I've heard better than the JBL anyway... the JBL is fine for me... but a good aftermarket system could outperform it.

Good luck with the purchase!

-Mike

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, it would be easier to find a basic 4Runner if I wasn't set on a V8. But since my Wrangler was not very powerful on long grades and highways in general I think it will be nice to have a little more scoot.

My last four new vehicles have all been white, 3 trucks and a Jeep. Now Toyota too :)

BajaTaco said:
Congrats on the decision.

Nice choice on the color :victory:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Almost didn't buy a 4Runner, but now its coming...

I almost had to give up my ideas/preference of buying a 4Runner and go back to thinking of a Tacoma. After a third test drive, this time in a power seat/sunroof V6 car, I decided that the 1.5-inch loss of headroom was too much when I had the power seat raised a little where I would prefer to have it. I simulated being bumped from off-highway jolts and know that my head/hair would at least touch the roof if I didn't lower the seat. This would negate the sight-line advantages and optimum adjustability that are available with the 8-way power seat. Comfort, power, and ergonomics were driving forces for me to sell my Jeep and buy a 4Runner in the first place. I decided I needed to find a V8 sans sunroof OR go back to Tacomas...

I'm obviously lucky. A Toyota salesman acquaintance from another board did a search for me in the whole 'Denver Region' (CO, UT, WY, NM, AZ, NV) plus California. This search located only five, SR5 V8s, all in California. Only one was missing a sun-roof and was a basic model with few options. Armed with this information I shopped on the internet for more than a week, looking at dealer stock and making a few calls. I didn't call the dealer with the 2006 SR5 V8 without the sun-roof; until Tuesday (after my 3rd test drive where I decided I really wanted no moon-roof).

I called the Fleet department and made a deal for this NOS (new old stock) 4Runner. It's almost a year old, being originally shipped in Dec. 2005. It only has 38-miles on the clock. After talking to a couple salesmen, it was clear that 4WDs don't sell well in So. Cal, particularly ones without leather. Two different people said "you know, it's a 4-wheel-drive" like it was a negative :) Except for the fancy JBL stereo which I would like (but stereos are very easy to add/change) it is just what I want right down to the wheels. SR5 V8, White with grey interior, with 16-inch wheels (very hard to find 16s too). It has only three 'options' : Roof Rack, Carpeted floor mats, Tonneau Cover for cargo area. It's a stripy 4Runner, but in my mind there is no such thing as they all have, power-locks, windows, A/C-climate control, cruise, tilt-wheel, etc. I made a deal for $500.00 under invoice and there is a nice rebate too. It would be nice to buy a 2007 but it is even better to buy exactly what I want.

I'm having it shipped north to within a 100-miles of me and I will pick it up next Tuesday or Wednesday. Then in January, let the modifications begin :) In stock trim it sure looks like/is a Mall Crawler...

James/redLine

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
alright! :sombrero:

Those white ones sure look sweet, I had the toughest time deciding between black and white.

Good choice on not getting a sun-roof, I appreciate the head-room very much.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Ryanmb21 said:
alright! :sombrero:

Those white ones sure look sweet, I had the toughest time deciding between black and white.

Good choice on not getting a sun-roof, I appreciate the head-room very much.

Congratulations on your find, however have you done any reasearch on the Nitto Tires, I believe they only come in the P rating.:eek:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Tires

I don't know that I care for a P-passenger car tire... A 'C' or 'D' load range would probably be fine. Though I have a set of close to new Toyo M/T 265/75R16s on my F-350 that I was thinking of transferring to my Runner, I know these E-range tires are heavy and stiff from having them on both my '05 Jeep and my F-350. Even though I love these tires (take little wheel weight too) and they are the correct size, I'm considering buying a set of BFG M/T in 265/75R16 which are D-range for my off-highway wheels.

Another option is a set of C-range Toyo A/T 265/75. But these are not aggressive off-highway treads and they would be a better replacement for the stock Michelins when I wear them out on the pavement using the stock wheels.

eurorom said:
Congratulations on your find, however have you done any reasearch on the Nitto Tires, I believe they only come in the P rating.:eek:

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Oh! that's right you got the 16" wheels a much better selection in tire sizes.

I can not wait to see what king of tires you get for your Runner.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
First Impressions 'On-Road'

I've had my 4Runner for about two weeks now, I drove it a lot during the first week, about 2000-miles. After doing the first few hundred smiles with limited cold-starts and trying to break it in my way, my wife and I drove the new Toy a few hundred miles to see family for Christmas, then returned home a few days later. We turned around and left the next day on a quick 1000-mile round trip to Southern California.

I haven't been in the dirt yet with this low-rider stocker, but have seen several miles of snow and ice. I'm very impressed with this ride. It's fast, comfortable, quiet and just an all around nice vehicle ("for a girl my wife says :). Plush comes to mind compared to what I'm used to driving. My Jeep Rubicon was a great rig, but there is not doubt that all the road miles are much more pleasurable in the Toyota.

The on-road and long distance comfort was a prime motivator to buy the 4Runner so I hope I can retain most the positive traits after the modifications.

The first phase will include:

Shrockworks bumper & slides
Winch w/synthetic line
OME suspension
Tires/Wheels:
Toyo A/T 265/75R16 on the stock wheels (everyday & light wheeling)
Toyo M/T 265/75R16 on aftermarket wheels (for 'serious' travel :)

It will take a few months to gather the parts and do the installations, might have to find some extra money too.

My still undecided second phase ideas are:

On-board air; probably a 12V from Extreme Outback Products
Aftermarket skid plates
A rear bumper/carrier (this will be $$$ as currently I believe custom is the only option)
Rear and/or Front lockers 'as needed' after wheeling with only ATRAC for a while.

redLine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz