A new '07 4Runner for Expeditions

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Excellent, glad to hear you are enjoying it. There is a lot to be said for a comfy long-distance machine.

Nice choice on the air compressor for your 2nd phase mods. :ylsmoke:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
You should go wheel it while it is stock. You will appreciate all the modifications more and it will help put them in perspective as to real gains vs. perceived ones.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes, I agree, and I will do a little wheelin' soon, though there are limited options here in Winter. But I have lots of experience 4Wheelin' and I know that my 4Runner is too low to do much of what I want off-highway. The approx. 3-inches of lift, armor, and tires will be a big improvement in my opinion... and I can't wait.

My front Shrockworks bumper will be the hang-up, as I'm getting the heavy-duty front OME springs, but I think they will be too stiff without the bumper/winch weight. My lift will be here this weekend but I plan to wait for at least a few weeks until the bumper is close to arriving.

But I do plan to do lots of 4Wheeling with my first phase modifications before I move forward with any thoughts of lockers :)

calamaridog said:
You should go wheel it while it is stock. You will appreciate all the modifications more and it will help put them in perspective as to real gains vs. perceived ones.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I went offroad in my stock 4runner to have a good point of reference.

I just install the BFG All Terrain tires and they made a huge difference, more ground clearance and better traction!

I just ordered my OME 3" lift with the heavies up front, expecting to add the bumper soon! Will probably add a winch too!

Good luck on your build, and lets check each others progress.:bike_rider:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yesterday I put new tires on too: Toyo A/T 265/75R16. My measurements indicate about 10/16" of lift over the stock 265/70R16 Michelins. I plan to run a set of M/Ts for serious playing :)

eurorom said:
I went offroad in my stock 4runner to have a good point of reference.

I just install the BFG All Terrain tires and they made a huge difference, more ground clearance and better traction!

I just ordered my OME 3" lift with the heavies up front, expecting to add the bumper soon! Will probably add a winch too!

Good luck on your build, and lets check each others progress.:bike_rider:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
Yesterday I put new tires on too: Toyo A/T 265/75R16. My measurements indicate about 10/16" of lift over the stock 265/70R16 Michelins. I plan to run a set of M/Ts for serious playing :)

I am glad to hear that, I will be putting my 4Runner thru it's paces in my up coming Baja trip.
South to Bahia de Los Angeles and San Borja Mission.
I need to do my OEM Suspension in 2 weeks.:26_7_2:

Oh! by the way I was hoping i would not loose any power with the bigger tires, and I did not notice any changes!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I will have to thoroughly test the ATRAC and think very carefully about adding lockers. I was very impressed with the ATRAC's ability to transfer power to the non-spinning wheel during my baseline test last week. No, it's not as good or the same a lockers, but if it works very well or good enough most of the time, without spending the money, or more importantly, digging into perfect, new differentials, I may never add lockers. The stock Toyota traction control is the best traction 'device' I have ever experienced short of true lockers. And one advantage they have is that they are useful/safer in more varied terrain (ice).

Redline said:

The first phase will include:

Shrockworks bumper & slides
Winch w/synthetic line
OME suspension
Tires/Wheels:
Toyo A/T 265/75R16 on the stock wheels (everyday & light wheeling)
Toyo M/T 265/75R16 on aftermarket wheels (for 'serious' travel :)

It will take a few months to gather the parts and do the installations, might have to find some extra money too.

My still undecided second phase ideas are:

On-board air; probably a 12V from Extreme Outback Products
Aftermarket skid plates
A rear bumper/carrier (this will be $$$ as currently I believe custom is the only option)
Rear and/or Front lockers 'as needed' after wheeling with only ATRAC for a while.

redLine

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
I will have to thoroughly test the ATRAC and think very carefully about adding lockers. I was very impressed with the ATRAC's ability to transfer power to the non-spinning wheel during my baseline test last week. No, it's not as good or the same a lockers, but if it works very well or good enough most of the time, without spending the money, or more importantly, digging into perfect, new differentials, I may never add lockers. The stock Toyota traction control is the best traction 'device' I have ever experienced short of true lockers. And one advantage they have is that they are useful/safer in more varied terrain (ice).

Indeed you need to test your vehicle, before you make a desition on the lockers, I spend some time yesterday in the dunes, some are very incline, and the Atrac works great, I did not even need to air down! I just can not wait to get my OME Suspension. by the way who did you order from you OME?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I ordered from Slee Off-Road; Ben was very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable.

I have my OME suspension sitting in my garage, but I'm waiting for my front bumper to arrive in a few weeks before I do the suspension. I too ordered the heaviest springs for V8 + bumper/winch. I have decided not to put the suspension on without the bumper because it will ride stiff, probably be nose high and need another alignment after the front end changes ride height. I expect the Shrockworks bumper and slides to be here around mid February.

redLine

eurorom said:
Indeed you need to test your vehicle, before you make a desition on the lockers, I spend some time yesterday in the dunes, some are very incline, and the Atrac works great, I did not even need to air down! I just can not wait to get my OME Suspension. by the way who did you order from you OME?

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
I ordered from Slee Off-Road; Ben was very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable.

I have my OME suspension sitting in my garage, but I'm waiting for my front bumper to arrive in a few weeks before I do the suspension. I too ordered the heaviest springs for V8 + bumper/winch. I have decided not to put the suspension on without the bumper because it will ride stiff, probably be nose high and need another alignment after the front end changes ride height. I expect the Shrockworks bumper and slides to be here around mid February.

redLine

I did not think about the wheel aligment after I install the bumper nor the stiff ride with out the bumper! humm! Perhaps I need to order bumper now!

:Wow1: Good point!

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Redline,
when funds allow and you find a good shop, put a ARB rear locker in. This is the way I ran my 2003 4Runner and it was the perfect setup.

4 wheel atrac/ or front atrac/rear locked. ARB also instantly engages and disengages, beefs up the strength of the rear diff so I consider it a worthy upgrade.

The locker is better too b/c it makes less fuss and doesn't tear up the trail getting over obstacles. Other times, most times, the atrac is perfect.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
All very good/valid points.

Life_in_4Lo said:
Redline,
when funds allow and you find a good shop, put a ARB rear locker in. This is the way I ran my 2003 4Runner and it was the perfect setup.

4 wheel atrac/ or front atrac/rear locked. ARB also instantly engages and disengages, beefs up the strength of the rear diff so I consider it a worthy upgrade.

The locker is better too b/c it makes less fuss and doesn't tear up the trail getting over obstacles. Other times, most times, the atrac is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94