A minimalistic, take me everywhere for a week rig ...

efuentes

Explorer
I have been thinking, how i really like to go about exploring, and have come to this:

- I really like to go out there in the wild, if its a confluence in the middle of nowhere, that´s my kind of place.

- Don´t really like to take too much stuff, maybe a couple of tent cots and some basic backpacking items are good for me.

- I like a small rig, the wild where i live is ´tuff, my rigs are always really scratched.

- Realistically, most of my trips are a week or less.

- I need some power and fuel injection for the big climbs and sand around here.

I have been searching and searching for something to replace my toyota rockcrawler with. I tried a Cherokee and on paper its great, but its too much car like for my taste. My FJ plan fell trough, and my CJ8 plan its going to be too expensive. So ...

Looking back to my toyo, yeah its small, and it has an open bed, and big tires, and too much flex, and a spool, but maybe with some changes ... After all, I have been everywhere in it and back.

jeepeadadomingo038.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

My plan is simple, since I don´t have a motor for it, I will get a 4.3 TBI (They are plentiful and cheap here) i already have a 4 speed auto and the adapter for my transfer cases,that should take care of the power thing.

35x10.5 with a couple of ARBs, some nice shocks and lower the suspension almost to stock, I´m not afraid of cutting some fenders.

For the back, since I already have a bobbed bed, I could fabricate some kind of hard cover for the bed, I think i can get by with 4X4X3 feet of storage.

Any thoughts on less car and more travel ....

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Hilux's certainly are unbrakeable, so you've chosen well :) (obligatory link to the video)

You're plans sound good to me, engine wise I strongly beleive stock is best (in case of breakdowns) but if you truly need more power, a more powerful stock common engine has to be a better option than a modified overstressed less common engine.

For the rear end, you won't compromise ability by making / purchasing a canopy for the tray that sits as high as the cabin of the vehicle. Even if you pack light, sometimes a bit of space is useful (especially if your tent fails!)

Sean

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
What's the old saying...If it ain't broke....

Everything you need; nothing you don't!

-H-

upatree

Observer
AT Expedition Module

You might want to look at the new expedition module from Adventure Trailers.
This forum has it listed on the home page under Expeditions. It is the second listing. They are made for toyotas and Mario and Martyn plus the crew can sure fix you up with what ever you may need.

efuentes

Explorer
upatree said:
You might want to look at the new expedition module from Adventure Trailers.
This forum has it listed on the home page under Expeditions. It is the second listing. They are made for toyotas and Mario and Martyn plus the crew can sure fix you up with what ever you may need.

I been thinking about it, for me the only problem is the spare. (And the shipping of the thing)...

upatree

Observer
No since shipping. Just come up have it installed and do some wheeling . Lots of folks here that would be glad to take you out.

efuentes

Explorer
Mmmm, a Diesel Scrambler, maybe I should start looking for a 4BT and a nice 5 speed tranny.

In the meanwhile I can start putting some miles on my new touring bike, I´m going hardcore this year ....:cool:

Thanks for your responses ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94