A Mahindra Owen Trailer and an Old cj500dp LWB.

wanderernomad

There is not much trailer camping scene in India but I have been following some of the fabulous builds here on the forum and itching to do something. I already had the jeep restored in'14 and it was in '15 that I chanced upon a very old trailer, similar to some of the original war jeep trailers. I modded it to function like a hard top camper. The loading bay is beneath the sleeping area and the front has a foldout tent to provide extra space for the gear while camping. The entey and exit is through a rear hatch. The hard shell is fibre and has been insulated from the inside with a sheet of thermocole. I still need a lot of work done on it to make it all terrain capable like electric brakes, solar lighting etc. But here are a few pictures of my bare bone build.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 43
  • foldout front.jpg
    foldout front.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 42
  • as towed with the jeep.jpg
    as towed with the jeep.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 44

wanderernomad

Thanks guys for your kind words. It is my first attempt and will appreciate any help regarding the size of electric brakes that need to be ordered. The steel wheel rims are 16" and take a tire 6.5" wide. The normal cj3b wheels should be the same size, if I am not wrong. What size drums do I have, are they 10" ones? Should I order the electric brakes for 10" and they will fit? How do I measure the drum size for the electric brakes? The wheel size maybe same as a bantam t3c trailer.

Last edited:

wanderernomad

This summer took the jeep and trailer for some camping. Here are some pictures. The trailer leaked in rain water through the rear hatch. How do I make it more weather proof? Also need to add some kind of locking mechanism to the hatch from inside.20170618_174606.jpgDSC_0273.jpgDSC_0337.jpgDSC_0357.jpgIMG-20170620-WA0099.jpg

pith helmet

This is a super cool rig. I’d love to see more on the fold out of the trailer. Did you make it? The top and frame of the truck is interesting, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles