A look at Four Wheel Campers!

We would like to thank Four Wheel Campers for helping to make Expedition Portal what it is today. A long time supporter of the site to help keep the servers online, FWC continues to make quality campers that can often be seen in the trip reports of our members here on the Forum!

Four Wheel Campers has been building light weight, low profile, durable trucks campers for over 40+ years now. Our company was founded in 1972 and was originally based in the Denver, Colorado area. Even after all of these years, the basic concept hasn’t really changed. The camper must observe three basic principles: light weight, durability, simplicity. Aluminum framing and skin keeps the camper light and durable. Understated cabinetry, made of mahogany plywood, provides lightweight simplicity and a greater feeling of spaciousness in a very compact living space. Decorative design elements are kept to an absolute minimum to reduce weight and increase durability. These three simple, yet complex goals, provide a very small niche in the camper marketplace unlike other brands of truck campers. Whereas larger, more complex truck campers provide amenities and large living spaces, Four Wheel Campers embrace the ability to literally go camping in comfort anywhere your truck can go safely and with relative ease.
P8070338.jpg

In 2001, Tom and Celeste Hanagan became the new owners, and the Four Wheel Campers started evolving into a more modern and comfortable product. Staying true to the basic concept, system by system the camper improved. All of the remaining particle board was designed out, the electrical system was completely redesigned, and components ranging from foam to fabrics to plumbing fittings were improved. The frame is stronger than ever. Lessons learned from world travelers, and especially Baja California experience taught us where the frame needed improvement. The camper is truly a work in progress. New materials are constantly researched and studied to lighten, strengthen, and improve performance.
Mora 2.jpg

The basic idea is a fairly simple, but very strong, cage like aluminum frame fabricated from aluminum tube and extruded channel. Much like an airplane frame, it has the ability to flex, providing greater strength and durability, therefore longer life and the ability to handle the torque experienced on mountain and desert roads, far away from pavement. Optimum off road capability demands the lowest center of gravity. The minimal height over the cab of the truck is essential, and as much weight as possible is on the floor of the camper. That’s why the water tank and propane tanks have migrated to the floor in recent years. Our roof lifting system is like no other in the market. Instead of a complex lift arm apparatus with difficult linkage and geometry, our campers use a simple articulated lift panel at the front and back, spring loaded the piano hinges, and provide a shear wall effect for exceptional stability in high winds. This also provides support for a snow load on the roof.
66.jpg

Today the work force is the best ever. The future brings more improvement, much of it suggested by owners who use the product on a regular basis, and many who camp away from the mainstream in harsh and punishing conditions. We continue to improve the product and introduce more features, floor plans, and models each year.
99.jpg

image22.jpg

Oni

Adventurer
Awesome ! I hope to have a new FWC next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
I've been a fan and owner of truck campers over the last couple of years and have been perplexed in between my next purchase. My previous camper was much too large for my lifestyle and a pop up style seems much more befitting. However I am torn between a FWC and an Alaskan camper. I am drawn more to the Alaskan because of it's hard walled structure and seems more capable as a 4 seasons camper...and am slightly skeptical on the canvas wall structure's ability to hold heat in in cold temperatures(below 20 degrees F). Has the FWC truly been deemed a 4 seasons camper, and/or are there easy adaptations to make it so?(perhaps using some foam insulation to put on the pop up section)
I really like the concept as it is very light and incredibly low profile but curious as to its abilities in arctic conditions.
Thanks for your input!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
FWC has a thermal liner option and we keep ours up year round because it also I insulates from heat. The coldest we've camped is low 20's and with the forces air furnace found it reasonably comfortable with sleeping bags. You will get condensation. The Wander the West forum has some pretty extensive threads discussing cold weather camping in an FWC. There are a lot of FWC campers sold in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz