A long weekend wandering

FinsUp

Adventurer
"I took off for a weekend last month just to try and recall the whole year..."

I had been having a real craptastic time with work and some other stuff, so my wife told me I needed some solitude. It's cool that she knows me so well. Of course, I agreed with her, so on Thursday, I loaded my Jeep after work and bailed west. Crossing Western Kansas with the hood pointed west; I began my adventure. I knew I didn't have much time, but I was after quality instead of quantity with this trip.

I stopped in Hays, Kansas, to fill my cooler and top off with gas, and then it was back on the highway. I stopped in Limon, Colorado, and slept in the drivers' seat for a few hours in a closed IHOP parking lot. After about two and a half fitful hours of sleep, I grabbed a cup of coffee at Love's and looked through the atlas to try and find a destination. Hmmmmm, Westcliffe looks cool. I pulled into Westcliffe around three am and found a trailhead to sleep for a few more hours.

I woke up at sunrise, filled my camelback up, grabbed some Clif bars, and a light layer. After doing some stretching, I started hiking. It was amazing watching the sunrise across the valley and not seeing another soul for hours. I hiked for about an hour then just sat and enjoyed some companionable solitude as I snacked on a Clif bar and sipped some water. Once my soul was replenished with the solace of solitude, I began my trek back to the Jeep. When I reached the jeep, I was wondering where I should go next. Medano pass was not too far, so off I went. I drove for a while, but I was alone, with no recovery gear and no plans either. So after some cruising, I turned around and went back to Westcliffe for some coffee.

I eventually ended up in Leadville after exploring every forest service road I could and trying to string as many together so I could avoid the highway as often as possible. I was in search of an outdoor store because I had left my headlamp on my workbench where I had set it so I would not forget it. I stopped in Leadville Outdoors and was fixed right up. I asked the clerk where I could have the best burger in town. At this point, it's around two pm, and I am starving. The Tennesse Pass Cafe right across the street was the recommendation I got from the crew at the shop.

That was an amazing burger, and it was exactly what I needed. I topped off the meal with a scoop of huckleberry ice cream and then sat looking at the atlas and frecampsites.net. Once again the journey was underway. I scouted and drove many backroads trying to find a suitable spot for my tent. After a few hours of cruising, I ended up north of Vail. Hmmm. I wasn't planning on going that far north. Oh well. I found a road out of town to the north and drove it all the way to the end at a gated ranch. No luck with a campsite at all. I turned around and headed out of the valley.

When I got to the top of the road, I took a side road and drove that for about another twenty minutes. My drive paid off with an amazing site facing across the valley to the east. I was able to talk to my wife and girls before I went to bed. Waking up in that almost purple predawn light is always my favorite. The weather was slightly cool, a bit of a breeze and clear skies. I sat in my chair with a cup of instant coffee and just enjoyed the moment. No phones, no Facebook, no boss... just companionable solitude. I am not sure how long I sat there just enjoying the lack of manmade sensory input.

More to come...

billiebob

you are an inspiration finsUp..... reading yer post was like being there..... and inspiration to "just do it" !!
ps, a few pics would seal it

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Great getaway write up.

Just so you know you can practically drive a Subaru over Medano pass now. The east side is just a rough graded dirt road. Once into the park you will do a few creek crossings, but this time of year it's barely running. Air down for the sand and look out for the crowds when you get to the dunes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier