A leg up for amputees

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Funny how you can build a rig thinking of wheelchair users and then make it tough for amputees to get in :)
dsc_1887small.jpg
The WAVE may be very wheelchair friendly but we noticed pretty quick that for amputees like me it is a bit of a jump to get inside. Luckily one of the reasons we attend events like the SEMA show is to find cool new products that can solve this kind of mobility issue. We were finally able to get out of the crowded booth on the last day of the show and just in time to meet the guys at Rock Slide Engineering. It was the this display with a one of the guys standing on the slider that caught my eye.
image008.jpg

image010.jpg
This thing is very tough appearing and while the model on display is for a Jeep, the company is more than willing to create a version for a Sportsmobile! Here is quote from their press release:

Now that we are back, we would like to introduce to the public our newest addition to the R-SE product line- the patent pending R-SE Power Step Slider. The first of its’ kind, the Power Step Slider incorporates the R-SE Rock Slider and a revolutionary power step function that is activated automatically or manually when desired. The step provides a solid platform accommodating front and rear doors on all 4 door and 2 door JK and TJ Jeep models. The Power Step Slider kit includes: Durable exterior quality powder coating with primer base, all mounting hardware, actuator for step operation, and wiring harness with system shut-off switch to offer manual control when step actuation is not desired by door operation.

Keep an eye out for more details as we work with RSE to create something that will make life easier for anyone who owns a SMB and needs a little boost to get inside.
rockslide.jpg

jcbrandon

Explorer
Nice job, Lance. Fantastic that Disabled Explorers is in at the development stage of something that can help all of us. My wife has been threatening to stow a step stool in my truck to make it easier for her to get in and out. I've resisted. Rock sliders with retractable steps would increase domestic bliss at my house. And the W.A.V.E weighs what, five tons? If these work on it, I think they'll do fine on my little 7,000-pound truck.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
This is a product that has been missing from the market for years. Many would like a step to assist entry into tall 4x4 trucks. Some also want a sturdy 'rock slider' to prevent body damage on challenging trails. Including both features in one product is surely a challenge.

There are plenty of slider designs and a few good steps for those who want/need them. I have looked at many steps on rigs and thought what wonderful anchors they are for rocks and debris. Even the retracting steps I've seen are still quite fragile when in the UP position- if any real load was applied they would be damaged.

I hope these guys can make a step for your Sportsmobile that can both provide 'a leg up' and work resonably well as a slider.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The great thing abut this company is that the idea was born out of a desire to help a fellow offroader they know. This gentleman is getting on in years and having trouble getting in his rig.

What I was impressed with was their desire to work on something the size of the WAVE. The Sportmobile weighs 10500lbs and while the body panels are pretty high up the rig will be driven by novices getting their first offroad experience. I would rather have some protection so they don't have to worry about damage.

I checked out the design at SEMA and was very impessed with the way the step fit flushly into the slider. Having it powered and switched by the door would be great.

The goal is to have these on by the end of the year so watch for updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94