A good tablet to build by nav system off of?

ratled

Adventurer
Looking for a recommendation of a good tablet to build my nav system off of. While I would like to get a new Ipad but it just isn't in the cards. I was thinking of a yet to be named Android unit and say GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver. I am leaning towards using Hema but haven't ruled out Gaia.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. be kinda, it's all new to me

Thanks

ratled

Last edited:

captadv

Spectator
I'm going down the same path. I'm not a zealot for iOS or Android, both can be great.

If you want to do any Ham radio rig control or APRS though, stick with Android because ios does not support serial over Bluetooth.

You might not need an external GPS, some tablets have one already and it might work just fine.

The main things that will influence my decision (and maybe yours) are:
1. Wifi only or wifi + cell data
2. Screen size
3. Internal storage
4. Other specs vs. price

If you have an affordable data plan and good coverage from your carrier then you can just use your phone as a wifi hotspot. That will tax your phone though. I have done this kinda setup before, and instead I used a MiFi device (a dedicated Cellular to wifi device) on Verizon who had the best rural coverage at the time. Wifi only tablets are cheaper and you can use the MiFi with other devices.

I think an 8" tablet is ideal size for this allocation. I have a Jeep Renegade though, you might have more space. When I did this in an RV, I could have used three iPad pros. ;)

Android supports SD cards for increasing device capacity. Not all tablets have SD card slots. I have found that SD cards can be good for storing files, but moving apps from the internal storage to the SD card is a nuisance task and if you had 16gb internal and a big SD card you will be moving apps all the time dealing with failed upgrades because the apps move back to the internal storage on upgrade. :( This might be fixed in latest Android. It was so annoying, I bought a 128gb Nexus 6P when they came out. If you can afford it the most internal storage offered. You'll need it for those offline maps, pics, guides, manuals, music, etc.

As to other specs, I really mean top end vs. price. I personally don't have sticker shock on these kinds of purchases, I think it's worth paying more for the latest top end device as it will get the OS upgrades and generally perform better. If price is a greater consideration then you might also consider refurbished sites as well.

With all that in mind, I am currently looking at these devices:

Huawei Mediapad M3. This is the company that makes the Nexus 6P and I loved that device. It's available in Europe (and this eBay) in a 128GB size.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, not available in larger capacities, but Samsung makes quality gear. I had a Galaxy S4 phone I liked a lot with the exception of the storage management I mention above.

I'm 99% sure I'm going Huawei.

I hope that helps, I'd love to hear what others think and see pics of installs. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I'd be curious if anyone is using the new Surface. I'm all for Mac but lots of good software only runs Windows sadly. Interesting thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Size matters...

I've been running a Samsung Note 4 for about 2 years (it's slightly larger than the Galaxy S phone). Have a half dozen trips using BCN, and just started using Off Road Atllas overlay for the MVUM maps.
Have run into a couple of issues with the internal GPS acquiring a signal. Also, it was excellent when I had the trail already marked out, but the screen was too small to do "on the fly" changes comfortably.
My buddies running full on tablets have a much easier time with that.

So I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, and added a 128GB SDXC. Just under $250 from amazon.
Will be making the first trip with it this weekend. So at this point the only thing I can say is the larger screen is way easier to work with, and at home it acquires a GPS lock faster than the Note 4 does. Hoping that bodes well for the trail.

Good luck on your choice! :beer:

Picture of Note 4 with BCN

Attachments

• Pro-Clip-w-Galaxy-Note-4.jpg
    Pro-Clip-w-Galaxy-Note-4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 63

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
Note 4? HAHA That's my phone. I have to wear glasses to see it when not driving LOL. Yup I had the same issue just to small at arms length. I do like your note4 mount though. I am looking for one for my rig. Ratled- I just picked up the Samsung 9.7 from best buy (on black Friday but no special pricing. Just picked a bad to decide to go shopping). I went with GAIA and am very happy I did. I did not think about space requirements and thank goodness GAIA is capable of moving the program and owner created maps to the 128Gb SD card. As of last week my understanding is that Hema is not able to do this. I went out Sunday hunting with new toy in hand (actually on the dash of my buddies truck) and created 4 maps, 2 each of different areas in topo and satellite and then added tracks from where we were driving. And from what I can see those have taken about 300mb of space. Not sure I am figuring this correctly. But to say the least I am happy I am able to move the maps to a source I am able to easily back up and have plenty of storage. The Samsung tab A was very responsive in the field when locking onto satellites and tracking our movement. I also am a newbie to this tablet world, well kinda.

captadv

Spectator
I'm 99% sure I'm going Huawei.

I lied. I ended up going with the Samsung tab S2. There are more mounting options with Samsung devices and that made it an easy decision.

Still have to figure out my mounting plan in my Renegade Trailhawk. In wish i could have a slide up solution that covered the UConnect, but I've not seen one. May have build it...

jschmidt

Adventurer
Buy a Samsung, Google or Lenovo tablet. A great tablet makes a great nav system. I have a Galaxy Tab S and I use ViewRanger. But even Google Maps has most of the trails I ride here in the Santa Ritas and Rincons. I also use a small program, Posotional, to get a quick lat-long-elev.

I've been using a tablet or my phone since 2012.

Jelorian

Adventurer
I lied. I ended up going with the Samsung tab S2. There are more mounting options with Samsung devices and that made it an easy decision.

Still have to figure out my mounting plan in my Renegade Trailhawk. In wish i could have a slide up solution that covered the UConnect, but I've not seen one. May have build it...

Curious as to what you come up with as far as mounting. I also just recently picked up a S2 8.0 and was looking at different mounting options.

Cheers!

captadv

Spectator
I am still in the thinking phase. I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and when I remove the trim around the stereo, there is a lot of room above the deck. I'm trying to design a pull out tray that holds the tablet and let's it pop out like a car stereo with a screen does.

Still thinking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior