A G-Wagon from Austria

AxelG

Hi guys,

I've been actively reading here for a while but haven't made it to a post yet. So it's about time to introduce myself and my G-Wagon.

My name is Axel (hard to guess from my username), I'm 29, originally from Austria and am currently living in Sweden. My Puch 290GDT is from 1998 and is in regular use on Camping-trips in Europe and once a year on an overland-expedition to the north of Africa, mainly in Tunisia, Algeria, Libya and once Morocco. Hopefully Egypt can be added to this list soon! :)

Currently I am working on a storage-solution in the trunk that enable full use of the "convertible roof".

Here some pictures to complete all this text:

Somewhere in Tunisia:
062.JPG

099.JPG

181.JPG

146b.JPG

And here with big brother (also "Made in Austria"):
090.JPG

This is how the trunk looks at the moment:
PA310187.JPG

Greetings from Scandinavia!
Axel

Last edited:

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Välkommen!

I too love your pop top. What a great feature. How was the top done? Can you share any information on it?

Hunter

Cool, a fellow G traveller and within 70 km from where I live. Welcome.

You got a nice looking 290. How about your rooftop tent, have you used that in cold climate?

I´m thinking of adding a Eezi Awn to our non-turbo G290. But I'm just a little worried about the bulk, how much wind resistance it will create. Your solution looks very streamlined.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Nice stuff......thanks....welcome!!!!! Man, North Africa always looked very interesting to me. Food and terrain.:coffeedrink:

AxelG

Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for the warm welcoming!

What kind of wheels are you running?
At the moment I am running a compromise-solution that covers both on- and off-road: Cooper Discoverer ATR in 265/75 R16. My experience so far: ok on-road thanks to the quite soft mixture and resistant enough for the African pists and tracks. I am satisfied with those. The tires are mounted on Racer wheels (bought @ www.arcasting.it) in 7Jx16, rim offset 20mm. They are supposed to carry up to 1400kg each - that's what made my decision.

@ snyder.hunter:
Vällkommen! :)
As jmkoz pointed out, Lyndi (alias Mr. Ridler) built this roof-tent. I am extremely satisfied as all my criterias were met: max. 50kg extra, not higher than 205cm (with original springs and wheels). In short, the orginal roof was cut off, a frame was built in and then the tent-construction (made out of one piece) was positioned on it.

@ Johnny:
Oh, finally a fellow with a G-Class in my surroundings. :) I am actually in Copenhagen everyday to ears some money. Maybe we could meet up one day over here...

Regarding the wind resistance, you will feel it!!! Before the current solution, we had a Vögele roof tent:
Tunesien05%20%28016%29.JPG

It feels like driving with a wall over your head! :)
As for the colder climate, of course this tents are not as cosy as a Camper, but definitely comfortable (in summer time). We've used it the whole summer in southern Sweden and it was great - the only thing missing is a rain-solution that allows to sit inside when it poors down! ;)

Cheers,
Axel

@ Johnny:
Oh, finally a fellow with a G-Class in my surroundings. :) I am actually in Copenhagen everyday to ears some money. Maybe we could meet up one day over here...

Regarding the wind resistance, you will feel it!!! Before the current solution, we had a Vögele roof tent:
Tunesien05%20%28016%29.JPG

It feels like driving with a wall over your head! :)
As for the colder climate, of course this tents are not as cosy as a Camper, but definitely comfortable (in summer time). We've used it the whole summer in southern Sweden and it was great - the only thing missing is a rain-solution that allows to sit inside when it poors down! ;)

Cheers,
Axel

That could be arranged, lets meet up some day. I'm based in Helsingør, north of Copenhagen, that would take me just 40 minutes to get there.

It seems that people driving a G in Denmark is primarily interested in playing in quarries and the odd privatly owned forest.
I got the G, to take us to remote places where I can play around with my cameras. I'm pretty enthusiastic about the truck and it's heritage, think it's a well build vehicle for adventure.
But it's the traveling to adventure part, that justifies the investment.

So far we went to the interiour of Iceland and had a great time. Next summer we will spend another 6 weeks there.
Africa is in the future trips too.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Servus Axel.

Glad you decided to post up. That is a nice looking G-Wagon. I'm looking forward to seeing your storage solution.

AxelG

That could be arranged, lets meet up some day. I'm based in Helsingør, north of Copenhagen, that would take me just 40 minutes to get there.

That would be really great. I would actually love to hear about your Iceland experience, as this is one of my top-destinations (ideal when living over here).

The usage of the G you described covers most of the drivers in Europe. In Austria it is often used by hunters.

I have been working on the storage solution those last evenings and this is what it looks so far:

The top door is actually supposed to function as a table as well - I know it is minimalistic, but we preferably spend time outside anyways...
PB140196.JPG

PB140202.JPG

I hope the stove I ordered will arrive before the weekend, so that I can finish the top as well!

Axel

Last edited:

somesnowday

Nice G, I'm loving to the model and year. I just purchased my 1998 Puch here in the States. Although I have the G320 with the v6 petrol engine which has all the cushy features that us Americans like. I do like leather and the heated seats, but I miss the simplicity of my 1981 G that I put an on603 in. My planes for the G are 255/85r16 tires, custom bumpers and hitch, small lift and small wheel spacers, and a roof rack. Nice to encounter another Puch owner online.

-Craig

5188508441_a7459332ca.jpg

I had a look in your car album and it looks good. I been thinking of doing something similar.
I would like to make a removable unit. When doing short weekend trips it would be as a standart vehicle. Limited load, limited preparations and off we go.
But when the length of the trip justifies it, then slide in the storage system. Hook up the 240V inverter and hoist the rooftop tent on.

I has a look at the aircraft tracks you have, where did you get them from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles