A friend of mine is looking at a 2008 dodge mega cab, he's wondering about a cheap good suspension option...Any ideas on this?

autism family travels

My buddy is looking at buying a 2008 mega cab, he was poking around looking at options for a small lift to fit some bigger tires and go adventuring/hunting/camping in the back country here. I told him Carli 3", until he saw the price. Ha ha. Any cheaper options that will give SOME WHAT SIMILAR results? I know they make kick ass gear, but something that can give say 70% of what a full blown carli setup would give would be adequate.

autism family travels

well, it's a 2008, gasser. So NOT really an expensive truck. more of a daily driver and weekend warrior. with a few week long trips included. looking for a good 2-3" lift, not anything 8" like some people listed here.

chet6.7

Explorer
Some things are worth spending more on,for quality,suspension is one of them.
Check out Thuren Fabrication,CJC may have what you want in stock.
With the right wheel he could run larger tires,some mods to the plastic fender liner may be needed.
For example,
Method Race Wheels 305 | NV HD | Matte Black
[*Size, Bolt Pattern, Offset/Spacing:18x9 | 8x6.5 | 18/5.75"]

autism family travels

I think he is going to get a full thuren kit. We did not know about them until it was posted. a 2" system with all the extras is 1400 bucks and change. Add on some raceline wheels, 35" KO2, and some extras, it should be a really good utility vehicle. What are the shocks like from thruen? would be be wise to upgrade to fox etc? or are they a great riding shock for trail running?

autism family travels

Oh, is there a kit to mount a winch like the power wagon has? just the fairlead sticking out? everything else behind the bumper? He's looking at using the N fab pre runner front and rear bumper guards to mount some aux. lighting on!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What size tires?

Short arms suck anything more than 1" or so, sometimes. If you're only after 35"'s, and don't need more travel, stay stockish. Maybe 1" pucks and the Thuren trac bar.....

Boz

Observer
I think he is going to get a full thuren kit. We did not know about them until it was posted. a 2" system with all the extras is 1400 bucks and change. Add on some raceline wheels, 35" KO2, and some extras, it should be a really good utility vehicle. What are the shocks like from thruen? would be be wise to upgrade to fox etc? or are they a great riding shock for trail running?

Good choice (y) Stay away from the BFG's though. 3rd Gen Dodges don't like them and there's a very good chance he'll get death wobble. Im a huge Toyo fan and won't run anything else but there are other quality options as well. I don't have experience with Thuren's Fox's but I do have his 2.5" Kings and they are absolutely incredible. Thuren knows Ram trucks so I'd assume the Fox's are awesome. He also has a 2.0 King IFP. Whatever he does I recommend getting a track bar.

Oh, is there a kit to mount a winch like the power wagon has? just the fairlead sticking out? everything else behind the bumper? He's looking at using the N fab pre runner front and rear bumper guards to mount some aux. lighting on!

Im sure he can use the mount from the Power Wagon if he doesn't want to replace the bumper.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
Get the thuren softride kit with white body overland shocks and a thuren trac bar, it will do the trick on a budget, my 12 ram had that kit on it and it worked great for the money.

Do not run bfg tires on that truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles