A forum suggestion; Wheel and Tire Sticky

Jb1rd

Explorer
Would it be possible to start a sticky thread for wheels and tires? I feel like this is a worthy and often discussed issue, especially to those of us not so long in the tooth in regards to Adv Van Ownership. For instance, I currently have 16" wheels and am wondering if it is necessary to go to 17" wheels to get a larger set of brakes for the massive beast!! Or something like, I have wider tires and want to try tall and skinny, what is the recommendation, the tried and true, and what people like or dislike. Thanks in Advance!!!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
1). Probably

2). Tall/skinny. Thin snow, thin mud, goood. Deep snow, deep mud, baaaad.
3). Something/wide. Thin snow, thin mud, baaaad. Deep snow, deep mud, goood.

:)

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Tire size and tread design are related and must be balanced for optimal performance. For a heavy vehicle like a camper van, I say skinny is better than wide. Wider tires provide more flotation but a heavy van will never benefit from that like a Suzuki Samurai or other lightweight rig will. A good test is loading to your normal weight and driving your typical terrain. Stop in a traction-sensitive spot like on a hill or in mud and try to take off pretty aggressively. If the tires spin but do not propel you forward, (like just floating on top or bouncing) go to a narrower or more aggressive tread. If they bite and go with no spin, you're golden. If they spin and sink (rather than float or bounce), go wider or less aggressive.

My heavy 2wd van has HT tires and will spin and float rather than dig. A wider tire would help (less prone to spin) but not as much as something more aggressive (which would dig and go), but something more aggressive (MT, AT, etc) would impact the highway driving characteristics more than a wider tire would and they'd wear faster, etc. This not a good example I guess because my van is 2wd and doesn't get off the road much.

My 4wd truck has aggressive ATs (Duratrac) and is just about perfect for its weight and use (just hunting, working on the farm, etc). If it was heavier a less aggressive tire would work as well with less tendency to dig. If it was lighter, I'd need an MT to get the same performance I get now from ATs.

For good driving characteristics in a multi-purpose vehicle, I say go as skinny and mild as possible, but as wide and aggressive as necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94