a few solar questions

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
I just installed a new solar setup and have some questions about connecting it to the vehicle system, its currently self contained..

I used to have a dual battery system with no soar but had an isolator. The isolater is still in place but i was wondering if any harm could be done to the solar charge controller if i connect the Positive from the battery isolator to the new bank of batteries. I am going to add in a high amperage circuit breaker near the batteries so it can be disconnected easily from the vehicle system and it should never drain the AUX system

I got this charge controller MPPT TRACER 3215RN Solar Charge Controller 30A 12V 24V EP

second question is, I am not sure what setting to put the MPPT controller. It has Sealed, Gel and Flooded battery types. The batteries that I got are AGM batteries, should i choose sealed for these?

Here is a list of everything I installed. My solar install shopping list I got two panels and two of the batteries.

Thanks.

I will be putting up some photos of the whole system as soon as its all finished and cleaned up. So far it seems pretty great. The panels are putting in about 10amps even though they are flat on the roof of the truck. The whole system on the roof weighs about 35 lbs, I notice it up there but its nowhere near as bad as having a full size spare up there.

I have a 12 outlet fuse box connected to the aux batteries in the battery compartment for power and lights in the bed of the truck and another fuse box for all accessories and power in the cab of the truck that is connected to the AUX batteries in the back.

This setup is SO much better than my old one. I dont think i will ever have to run the truck or drive it everyday in order to keep camera batteries charged, camp lights on and the fridge running.

t

4x4junkie

Explorer
I just installed a new solar setup and have some questions about connecting it to the vehicle system, its currently self contained..

I used to have a dual battery system with no soar but had an isolator. The isolater is still in place but i was wondering if any harm could be done to the solar charge controller if i connect the Positive from the battery isolator to the new bank of batteries. I am going to add in a high amperage circuit breaker near the batteries so it can be disconnected easily from the vehicle system and it should never drain the AUX system

No, there should be no problem with that (infact, that is how you should hook it up, that way you will have your alternator available as a charging source should you encounter a spate of cloudy days). If the solar controller sees another charge source come online that is more powerful that it, it should shut it's charge current off automatically.

As for matching the controller to your batteries, best is to use whichever setting best matches the absorption voltage your batteries call for (very often I've seen it be the "Flooded" setting even for AGMs) but consult your controller's (and your battery's) documentation just to be sure.

I purchased the renogy 100 watt suitcase from Renogy that has a built in 10 amp charge controller .
I contacted them regarding the same question - charge controller showed , sealed, flooded or gel.
My battey is group 31m - sears AGM 100ahr.

They advised me to choose the sealed setting on the charge controller. Just what they told me.

You have a nice set up.

Az

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
Thanks, I emailed the battery company and the charge controller company to see what they say.

here are a few photos of the setup right now. I still have to wire up the fuse box but thats about it I think.

14209624598_1b85f9f903_b.jpg

14209623648_c36551c988_b.jpg

14416404753_e0c1502e5b_b.jpg

14373116876_8fe00ce27b_b.jpg

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
No, there should be no problem with that (infact, that is how you should hook it up, that way you will have your alternator available as a charging source should you encounter a spate of cloudy days). If the solar controller sees another charge source come online that is more powerful that it, it should shut it's charge current off automatically.

I think its best to hook up the alternator from the isolator to the batteries and not to the charge controller. when the voltage of the batteries rises to 13v/full charge from the alternator the solar charge controller should stop charging i think.

It might be what you meant but worded a bit differently.

4x4junkie

Explorer
You said you wanted to hook the positive cable from your isolator to the "new bank of batteries". My answer was in response to that (the only thing that should be hooked to the charge controller is your solar panels).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles