A few ?'s for Those that have done the diy Ujoint kit

Deshet

Adventurer
I have owned a few quigley's and have a 7.3 van that I don't want to get rid. I have seen a lot of Ujoint kits and they always look awesome but the guys doing them seem like they could be fabricators.

I consider myself to be a slightly more capable then a parts changer. I have access to a lift and a decent tool selection. I also have access to transfer cases, transmissions, and axles fairly often. I want to run 35s and only want enough lift to clear them.

What are the difficult areas that I might need to hire out or ask for a life line? How much ingenuity is required to pull this off and not a death wobble going down the street. If I needed to pay shop labor rates for a specific area can you help explain what they may be.

I hope that this isn't offensive to anyone. I really appreciate any feedback or help provided.

Thanks

You are probably more than capable to handle it. It is a straight forward conversion and Ujoint has it pretty dialed. Send the tranny to a shop to swap out the tail shaft, have someone make a couple driveshafts and do the exhaust modifications. And if you don’t get a new fuel tank probably get someone to cut and shorten the existing one. The 6” kit is the best way to go it drives and handles great.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Check out our new install video, will help you with the decision on the DIY route. If you get our 7.3 kit (link below) and source your own axle & t-case then you'll need the transmission mods to 4wd, driveshafts & wheels/tires to complete the swap. The transmission will need to be torn down for a new truck output shaft and tail housing, I always recommend a rebuild too. Fuel tank needs to be shortened, we provide a template and plate for that.

wgeyer88

Chris just posted an updated “how to” video for the DIY kits on YouTube. I’d watch that before making the decision.

Thing you might not be comfortable with:
—-shortening your gas tank. My ambulance had the tank in the rear so I didn’t have to touch it.
—-converting the trans from 2wd to 4wd
—-probably need to have a driveshaft made
—-welding in the rear spring hangers.
—-welding on the new front upper shock mounts

Note on the two welding jobs... neither can be done while the van is still mobile since the old suspension has to be ripped out first.

iggi

Ian
Hey, hopefully this is a helpful addition to this thread and not a distraction.

@ujoint For a 2008-2010 E series Cab & Chassis. (no RSC from what I can tell) would the kit for the 2004-2007 be the correct choice?
I'm running a 6.0 PSD if that makes a difference.
Thanks Chris!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey, hopefully this is a helpful addition to this thread and not a distraction.

@ujoint For a 2008-2010 E series Cab & Chassis. (no RSC from what I can tell) would the kit for the 2004-2007 be the correct choice?
I'm running a 6.0 PSD if that makes a difference.
Thanks Chris!

Corret, the rig doesn't have RSC but it does have the RSC speed sensors so we include that upgraded axle for everything 2008/up.

CaptainBuilt

I originally did a 4" kit, now I'm currently doing the 6" kit. The only difference between the 4" and 6" is the springs and adding the track bar.

I'm doing mine on jack stands, on a very slanted driveway. Not fun to say the least.

For me, the swap is very straightforward, but heavy lifting is involved. Axles are heavy, springs are heavy, having a buddy to help is key. But technically speaking, it's not difficult at all.

UJOR will help you along the way if you have questions. It's a solid kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior