A few questions for those running Partner 2 burner 18" Stoves...

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Howdy-

I am tempted to try one of the Partner Stoves (2 burner, 18", with windscreens).

I have searched around here a little, but for those running them I have a few questions.

1. Can you attach the gas line in more than one location? Is the gas connection selectable? For instance, if I want to tie my gas line in the rear right corner, do I have that option?

2. Can someone give me real life dimensions of the outside of the case. I am hardmounting this thing onto my trailer kitchen and need to build a slide out drawer for it with some accurate dimensions. Most likely my Coleman will get the nod until Christmas, but I'd like the Partner to bolt right in when it arrives. Could someone throw a tape on their stove for me?

3. Is their anything else to consider when buying one of these little units? I live and play in Colorado's high country. It seems like with peoples reviews on the interweb that they seem to run okay at altitude (10,000+ feet). Is this true for those of you with high country experience? How about cold weather performance?

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Drew

You can have the stove made with the gas connection placed where you want, depends on if the gas line can be practically run to that location, but most are do-able.

If you are thinking of putting the stove on a slide mechanism will the stove sit on a slide out drawer or will the stove itself slide out? On our Horizon trailers we attach the slide mechanism to the side of the stove, either method works but the stove design and dimensions change.

If you are planning on getting a 2 burner stove with a lid and windscreens the base dimensions are smaller than the lid dimensions. Are you looking for the lid dimensions?

Remember that these units are hand crafted and may vary slightly from stove to stove, so leave a little wiggle room.

I can pull measurements once I know what you need.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Drew,
I first became aware of Partner Steel products a number of years ago when I bought my AT Horizon from Martyn and Mario. Prior to that I've owned all types of white gas and propane stoves. Long story short: The Horizon went bye and I was back to using my Coleman stoves, et al. But a few months ago I just couldn't stand it anymore and ordered the 22" dual burner with windscreen for when I go on forays sans the KK.

For more than mundane cooking and boiling water a Partner Steel Cook Partner stove isn't probably the best use of one's resources. But for the rest of us :) its literally a lifetime investment where you grin from ear to ear every time you get to use it.

Simple. Durable. Super easy to clean. Available in many different sizes and burner configurations. Custom work is available as Martyn relayed. BTW: The burners are either under-rated for BTU output...or all other stoves are over-rated. And they do a very good job of simmering as well as very efficiently blasting enough heat for 14" cast iron pans. And for those low heat sauces you might want to make :coffeedrink: just use a diffuser plate and you'll not want for more. I've used mine at 10,400' and it functioned perfectly. No problems whatsoever other than the loss of efficiency/output any stove will suffer from the increase in altitude/decrease in AP.

FWIW: I often cook for groups of up to 10-12 people. I had the 18" but now have the dual burner 22" and the extra 4" is very well used real estate. And PS will make the propane hose to any length you need...that way you can leave the propane tank mounted on your trailer/rig without needing to remove it most of the time. And if you have smaller pots/pans/coffee makers be sure to have them adjust, assuming they haven't already made this change (they've done so on the 22" version), the SS rod/grate spacing or add another to the middle to support small pans. Just a couple things to remember when you place your order.

Judge yourself accordingly; but either way you will NEVER regret this purchase.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Thanks to both of you!

Martyn- Thanks! I didn't know they made them to custom sizes. I think an off the shelf unit will be just fine. I would like to run the gas line from center rear or either corner rear with the right side being my first preference. I will be using a slide out "tray" verses a full sided drawer. I would love the dimensions of the 18" at it's widest points... if that is with a lid, then great. I think I have grown accustomed to windhshields but I have read some reviews they aren't needed with the Parter, true?

Also, would you feel there is a need for a lid, if it is hard mounted and stowed when not in use inside the kitchen?

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate it!

Drew

Rezarf <><

Explorer
One more thought. Can a stove without lid be purchased through you guys Martyn? And if so, can the lid be retrofitted? It may be more hassle than its worth... I think I'd lean towards the lid and handle and just make it work in the space I have either way.

I would love a vertical dimension with the lid closed and maybe the largest exterior dimensions (including the handle and latches... and I will build in some wiggle room too.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I'll let Martyn reply but AFAIK they can source anything PS makes + custom too.

My 22" dual burner with windscreen measurements FWIW:

3-9/16" tall (bottom of stove, not including my leveler adjuster feet, to the top of lid when lid is closed and latched down to stove)

Lid: 22-7/16" wide x 12-1/2" deep
Stove without lid: 3-3/8" tall x 21-7/8" wide x 12-3/16" deep

Having used the PS on the Horizon there were quite a few times I wished I had their windscreen...and had to improvise. I'd say you'd want the windscreen.

Another FWIW: I store the hose (15') and attached regulator coiled up in a neoprene bag inside the stove under the SS grate.

My only little tiny quip: They used to use an over center type latch to secure the windscreen to the stove. And mine came with one of those twist latches that I really don't like. I'd order it with the over center style they used to use as its more secure and just easier to deal with. Probably modify mine eventually. Not a deal breaker but since it sounds like you might order new that's my 2 cents.

Dan

ddog45

Adventurer
I really like my partner stove I have not used it as much as I thought I would. I wish they made a handy grill box like camp chef. Now that I have the partner stove I bring two stoves camping, one campchef single burner with grill box and the partner stove for pots and pans.

I'll add my 2 cents to this old thread for those folks searching. The Partner Stove is built for abuse. You can put it in the driveway and wash it down at the end of your trip and it doesn't rust. The usual problem that we have occurs when someone cooking doesn't understand that this is a high output stove and they burn the meal, it's a stove that needs a skilled user. It works excellent at high altitude and in cold weather. We've brewed coffee in the middle of winter here in the Utah desert without problems.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
What do you guys think about the lid vs windscreen? It seems like the holes on the side would still let wind blow out the burner. And windscreen design doesn't seem like the best with those pieces of bent wire that could easily snag on things.

PSCSTV218WS-2.jpg

VS

PSCSTV218-2T.jpg

I have a Primus Firehole right now. And I love the side windscreens because they fold out to double as utensil holders and attach to the lid with magnet. The flame control is good but the burner output is lacking, especially at altitude. The powdercoated finish looks nice but is a pain to clean. And it's too darn big. So I'm looking at the Partner Stoves, particularly the 18" w/Lid. I just wish the windscreen was a different configuration.

CW035__40751.1423682525.380.500.jpg

Spressomon, if you happen to see this thread, how are you liking the 18" vs your old 22"?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
One more question: Would a Partner steel stove be up to the task of heating the water in a Zodi Extreme shower? Their burner just seems like another thing to bring along and keep track of.

102380_1.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What do you guys think about the lid vs windscreen? It seems like the holes on the side would still let wind blow out the burner. And windscreen design doesn't seem like the best with those pieces of bent wire that could easily snag on things.

PSCSTV218WS-2.jpg

VS

PSCSTV218-2T.jpg

I have a Primus Firehole right now. And I love the side windscreens because they fold out to double as utensil holders and attach to the lid with magnet. The flame control is good but the burner output is lacking, especially at altitude. The powdercoated finish looks nice but is a pain to clean. And it's too darn big. So I'm looking at the Partner Stoves, particularly the 18" w/Lid. I just wish the windscreen was a different configuration.

CW035__40751.1423682525.380.500.jpg

Spressomon, if you happen to see this thread, how are you liking the 18" vs your old 22"?
I like the lid with the windscreen built in. It's odd with those squiggly pieces but after a few trips I love it. It's very easy to use and the sides fold right up into the lid. They catch bacon grease and stuff when inside and hold the lid up. It's excellent. Any grease or grime folds right up for cleanup later if needed. Its easy enough to block the side holes during a windstorm. No piezo ignighter and a long hose for the gas and regulator are too bad but it's so great in every other way it will become your favorite piece of kit. Has anybody figured a way to screw a 1lb bottle right onto the side without the hose?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I hear that some of the partner stoves are designed to fit inside an ammo can. Anyone have a picture of this? It doesn't seem to exist no the internet.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
The 4-burner folding model fits in a 20mm can real well. Very common set up in the river rafting world. Don't have a picture right now, but could easily get one for you next time I'm in the boathouse (I river guide)

thefishhawk

Adventurer
The 4-burner folding model fits in a 20mm can real well. Very common set up in the river rafting world. Don't have a picture right now, but could easily get one for you next time I'm in the boathouse (I river guide)

has to be the 16", the 18" won't fit. Great protection but I'm not sure if it's worth the weight, partner's are pretty tough to begin with. The two burner with a lid will fit too if you want room for other stuff. The 18" seems to be a little more popular due to the extra room for pans on top, depends on what you need of course. Personally, my favorite is the break away and having the burners in one long row.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles