A diverse group of trucks explore Utah (Canyonlands National Park specifically)

RBA

Adventurer
On our third day in the Maze we were supposed to backtrack and head north to the Maze Overlook... Some pics along the way...

IMG_2884-X3.jpg

IMG_2886-X3.jpg

IMG_2885-X3.jpg

We were making great time compared to the night we drove in. Being able to see the obstacles we didn't need to pick our lines by getting out of the truck or searching for the trail. As we were about half way towards the intersection, Tomek radioed that something had happened to his LR3. It was making a noise and he needed to stop to investigate.

D70_8666-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8672-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8665-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8674-XL-XL.jpg

At that moment we all knew that our chances of making it to the Maze were out and now it was just a question of whether we could nurse the truck out.

At first it appeared that the sway bar bushing broke and the either the A-arm or the sway bar was rubbing against the aluminum sleeve of the bladder and had worn away a hole but the bladder wasn't damaged.

His compressor began to run excessively and eventually began to shut down from overheating.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Looks like an awesome area! I've been camping/wheeling southern Utah all my life and have never made it over to canyonlands. That narrow slot you guys drove through looks to be the limiting factor for me and my Suburban, I wonder if I would fit.

There are youtube videos of a tour group from Moab, Tag-a-Long, running Ford Excursions on Elephant Hill Trail. I also took my '05 Tundra through there last Easter. Your suburban would fit just fine.

Great Trip report. Good to see some higher end rigs getting out and used.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There are youtube videos of a tour group from Moab, Tag-a-Long, running Ford Excursions on Elephant Hill Trail. I also took my '05 Tundra through there last Easter. Your suburban would fit just fine.

Great Trip report. Good to see some higher end rigs getting out and used.

x2, if an H1 can do it... just about another light 4x4 can

eh1.jpg

Great trip report guys!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I gotta say I'm impressed to see a brand new RR on a trail like that. Did he know what he was getting into!?

Thanks for the pics and the report. I cant wait to explore Moab and all the surrounding epic areas.

stioc

Expedition Leader
x2. Great pics, nice trucks and kudos to the RR guy for taking his brand new $90k+ truck out there.

SebM

Observer
Hi,
new to your forum,
I hope I'm able to do the same kind of trip I see on these nice pictures.
But even if I practice a lot such explorations in Europe and Africa, I will have to learn first your local rules (like how to book BLM campground).

SébM from France.

RBA

Adventurer
Since heading out to the original destination was no longer an option, we decided we would nurse the LR3 out of the park and to the closest Land Rover dealer for repairs. Without getting into all the details, I will say that having the GAP IDtool saved Tomek's butt. Otherwise we would of had a much tougher time getting the truck out and the ~400 miles to Las Vegas.

I don't have many pics as we made our way out, nor on the journey to Vegas. But we decided that everyone didn't need to accompany the LR3 to Vegas so Justin decided to spend the last 2 days of the trip exploring a couple of places we weren't planning.

Here are the pics...

D70_9202-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9211-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9312_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9333_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9341_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9340_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9332-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9363_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9411-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9459-XL-XL.jpg

D70_9589-XL-XL.jpg