A diverse group of trucks explore Utah (Canyonlands National Park specifically)

zelatore

Explorer
Excellent photos and report. I won't even hold the NY thing against you.... :)

I can't say I blame your friend for going slow in his new RR. If I had just dropped that kind of coin on a new ride I'd be a little gentle with it too!

That picture of the tight squeeze reminds me of exploring Lake Powel a few years ago with some fellow Donzi owners. Most of us were in 22' boats but one guy was in a bigger 28. We got into some slots so narrow we could touch the walls on either side. The guy with the 28 just gave up and dropped the hook figuring we had to come back out the same way we went in.

RBA

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I agree, I would be just as slow as my buddy in the RR if I had just spent that kind of money and it was only 3 weeks old.

That's a cool pic of the Donzi's at lake Powell. I wasn't aware the lake had sections like that.

RBA

Adventurer
One of the things I learned on this trip is that I need to do a better job of assessing how much distance is realistic with the type of group I'm traveling with. Different driving styles, different capabilities, different speeds, more people = more bio breaks = longer bio breaks, etc.

Unfortunetly I didn't learn that lesson until later.

After a nice long breakfast and a stop at the supermarket in Moab, we headed up to Shaffer trail to see a bit of the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands.

D70_8241-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8245-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8290-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8300-XL-XL.jpg

IMG_2839-X3.jpg

IMG_2841-X3.jpg

IMG_2842-X3.jpg

IMG_2844-X3.jpg

RBA

Adventurer
IMG_2867-X3.jpg

IMG_2869-X3.jpg

IMG_2874-X3.jpg

It was then time to head to the opposite side of the park and drive into the Maze. At that time I still thought we would make it to our reserved campsite within daylight but with a slow pace taking pictures, a long lunch break and a couple of hours of tarmac it wasn't meant to be.

As we enter BLM land towards the Maze.

IMG_2878-X3.jpg

IMG_2879-X3.jpg

D70_8731-XL-XL.jpg

Pretty soon it got dark and I don't have any more pics from that day. Without daylight it took us several hours to make it to our destination at the Dollhouse campground.

The next morning...

D70_8512_2-XL-XL.jpg

D70_8516-XL-XL.jpg

BLM only allows 3 vehicles per campground so we reserved Dollhouse 1 and 2.

P1060588-XL-XL.jpg

Desert roach

P1060738-XL-XL.jpg

The Maze is really meant to be explored by foot, so we headed out on our first hike.

P1060759-XL-XL.jpg

P1060840-XL-XL.jpg

IMG_2880-X3.jpg

IMG_2881-X3.jpg

GOPR0203-X3.jpg

GOPR0196-X3.jpg

GOPR0204-X3.jpg

RBA

Adventurer
Looks like an awesome area! I've been camping/wheeling southern Utah all my life and have never made it over to canyonlands. That narrow slot you guys drove through looks to be the limiting factor for me and my Suburban, I wonder if I would fit.

The RR was the widest vehicle between us and it had about 2-3 inches to spare on each side. I believe his vehicle is 78 inches wide with the mirrors folded. Should be easy for you to determine based on your width.

nick325i

Adventurer
Looks like it was an amazing trip. I hope I can plan a trip out there pretty soon, but it's long drive for me.

How did they rubber coating work out on the other trucks? I might need to try that out on my LR4.

RBA

Adventurer
Looks like it was an amazing trip. I hope I can plan a trip out there pretty soon, but it's long drive for me.

How did they rubber coating work out on the other trucks? I might need to try that out on my LR4.

They used Plasti-dip and I was a bit skeptical of the rubber coating but if applied properly (lots of coats, as thick as possible without running) it protected the paint and came off easily. I had the narrowest truck and managed to get a couple of brush scratches (nothing that won't come out with some compound).

dieselfuel

Adventurer
The RR was the widest vehicle between us and it had about 2-3 inches to spare on each side. I believe his vehicle is 78 inches wide with the mirrors folded. Should be easy for you to determine based on your width.

Damn, I'm 84" at the outside of the tires, not even sure about the width at the mirrors. Either way, excellent photos and write up!

concretejungle

Adventurer
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I was just in the elephant hill area a few weeks ago and you are absolutely right, the pictures don't do the steepness justice!

the_dealer

Observer
Looks like fun. Most of us east coast guys can only dream of making it out west for some wheeling. It's good to see the guy with RR out there wheeling. Looks more at home then in the mall parking lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz