A Discussion of Differing Points of View: Is Jeep Leasing an Intelligent Choice or a Dumb One ??

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Just FYI, for anyone dreaming about getting a Gladiator...

You Can Lease A More-Expensive Jeep Gladiator For LESS Than A Wrangler !

(Geeze...just to clarify....I’m not either endorsing or criticizing this choice of vehicle ownership. While I myself have never leased a vehicle, many other people do choose to do just that. In fact, some very knowledgeable people feel this is, for them, a preferred way to “own” a car. They understand the costs and can afford to spend their money this way. That’s likely why car companies offer these lease programs in the first place. Obviously, if leasing wasn’t a desirable or very successful option to choose, vehicle leases would not ever be offered to consumers. So I feel this article is relevant and useful to some to post here. And by the way, if you bothered to read the article, you’d have understood it was simply a “lease to lease” comparison, not a “lease vs. buy” comparison!)

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
Is it really a good deal? What does the contract state about off road? Most additions you will make have to stay with the vehicle when you turn it in. Buying after the lease usually isn't a wise to buy a vehicle. Can you do the mods you want to like a suspension change? Do you have to return in a "as equipped" condition?

Just some of the first thoughts I had about leasing an off road rig

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Vehicle "Leasing" is an alternative method for vehicle financing.

Nothing More!

Leasing allows you to "Rent" a portion of the vehicle service life based upon a contract with terms, conditions and limitations placing strict requirements on both the Lessor and you the Lessee.

According to National Automobile Dealer's Association (NADA) LEASING a vehicle historically is the MOST EXPENSIVE FINANCING METHOD for a new to you vehicle. It's the strict terms, conditions and limitations that make leasing so expensive. It is very rare for a lease vehicle not incur additional expenses added to the vehicle overall cost at turn in at the end of the lease due to vehicle condition or mileage not meeting those strict terms outlined in the leasing contract.

EVERYONE who leases a vehicle "thinks" they can live with and meet those strict terms, conditions and limitations outlined in the lease agreement. The reality is very few people ever do without some sort of pain and suffering at the end of the lease contract.

The vast majority of None Business related vehicle leases entered into by individuals are for the sole purpose of driving a vehicle they cannot afford. That affordability problem you thought you would avoid by "Leasing" a vehicle ultimately rears its ugly head at the lease end when your paying additional money out of pocket to git rid of that lease and satisfy your part of the contract!

Now having said all that occasionally there are a few good lease plan contracts offered on expensive, slow selling or quickly depreciating makes/models. These leases are rare and typically on vehicles that are very expensive to purchase or vehicles nobody wants!

With the good economy we have enjoyed for the last 10 years once again vehicle leasing contracts are way up particularly at High Line dealers. By the way these dealer's LOVE IT as many times they can make MO MONEY on these lease contracts than a typical financing deal.

For the banks and dealers alike it's all about making sure their customers will ALWAYS buy that new to them vehicle with a MONTHLY PAYMENT!

Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:

mobydick 11

there is a dealer in Ontario Canada selling them for 44,900 ,that's about 34,000 US dollars . it would be a plane one though . If there is such a thing! if that's a deal for you I can provide details .

mobydick 11

sorry i chimed in about buying . I have leased and it is not for me . If the lease price is low then that means jeep is confident the the Gladiator is going to hold its value. also the allowable mileage will be low . can you tell use what the mileage allowance is ? also as others have stated when you return the car it has to be in good and original condition . If the tires and brakes are worn out you pay to put on new ones . this may be a good deal if you have good credit but no down payment money .I would take from this that if they are offering a good lease deal then the gladiator is not selling well.They are trying to move them off the lot.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Vehicle "Leasing" is an alternative method for vehicle financing.

Nothing More!

Leasing allows you to "Rent" a portion of the vehicle service life based upon a contract with terms, conditions and limitations placing strict requirements on both the Lessor and you the Lessee.

According to National Automobile Dealer's Association (NADA) LEASING a vehicle historically is the MOST EXPENSIVE FINANCING METHOD for a new to you vehicle. It's the strict terms, conditions and limitations that make leasing so expensive. It is very rare for a lease vehicle not incur additional expenses added to the vehicle overall cost at turn in at the end of the lease due to vehicle condition or mileage not meeting those strict terms outlined in the leasing contract.

EVERYONE who leases a vehicle "thinks" they can live with and meet those strict terms, conditions and limitations outlined in the lease agreement. The reality is very few people ever do without some sort of pain and suffering at the end of the lease contract.

The vast majority of None Business related vehicle leases entered into by individuals are for the sole purpose of driving a vehicle they cannot afford. That affordability problem you thought you would avoid by "Leasing" a vehicle ultimately rears its ugly head at the lease end when your paying additional money out of pocket to git rid of that lease and satisfy your part of the contract!

Now having said all that occasionally there are a few good lease plan contracts offered on expensive, slow selling or quickly depreciating makes/models. These leases are rare and typically on vehicles that are very expensive to purchase or vehicles nobody wants!

With the good economy we have enjoyed for the last 10 years once again vehicle leasing contracts are way up particularly at High Line dealers. By the way these dealer's LOVE IT as many times they can make MO MONEY on these lease contracts than a typical financing deal.

For the banks and dealers alike it's all about making sure their customers will ALWAYS buy that new to them vehicle with a MONTHLY PAYMENT!

Caveat Emptor!
I was a manager for an automotive group, I know all the reasons why dealers, banks, insurance companies, and manufacturers love leasing. Not as much as the dealerships "lease return" guy.

86scotty

Cynic
I was a manager for an automotive group, I know all the reasons why dealers, banks, insurance companies, and manufacturers love leasing. Not as much as the dealerships "lease return" guy.

People considering this should pay attention to this subtle hint from someone who has experience in this business. That is all.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Plenty of situations where leasing makes a lot of sense for the buyer. I have 5 vehicles, my commute is <15 miles/day roundtrip. I've leased 4 or 5 DD's over the years, and they've all worked out great. I have a nice car to drive to work, and have a nice car for road trips because I keep my miles low. If I start getting close on miles, I just drive something else for a little while. My job situation is also very stable. If your commute could change drastically during the life of the lease, or it's your only car, or you put a lot of miles on it, leasing is usually a bad idea. But in the right scenario it's a great way to cheaply finance a nice DD.

That being said, I would never lease a vehicle that I plan to modify anywhere beyond window tint. And what's the point in buying a Jeep and keeping it stock?

Bobzdar

Observer
Plenty of situations where leasing makes a lot of sense for the buyer. I have 5 vehicles, my commute is <15 miles/day roundtrip. I've leased 4 or 5 DD's over the years, and they've all worked out great. I have a nice car to drive to work, and have a nice car for road trips because I keep my miles low. If I start getting close on miles, I just drive something else for a little while. My job situation is also very stable. If your commute could change drastically during the life of the lease, or it's your only car, or you put a lot of miles on it, leasing is usually a bad idea. But in the right scenario it's a great way to cheaply finance a nice DD.

That being said, I would never lease a vehicle that I plan to modify anywhere beyond window tint. And what's the point in buying a Jeep and keeping it stock?

Buy a Rubicon and there's not much point to modifying it. I agree if you get any of the other models, actually I think if you plan on modifying it doesn't make much sense to get a Rubicon. As to leasing, it only makes sense if you put low miles on, get a new car every couple of years and don't really care what you drive. None of those is me.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Depends on how you're wheeling the Rubicon. A stock Rubicon doesn't make it far on a lot of the trails my wife and I run. Her Rubicon struggles to keep up on a lot of the trails I do in my ZJ, so we're modifying it. It's 3.5 years old at this point, 22k miles, and has wheeling damage (cracked hard top from tagging a rock in Moab) that a leasing company would freak out about. But that's why we bought it and didn't lease it.

camodog

Adventurer
I can tell you from experience , with this wheelbase, you do need a lift and larger tires, even on a Rubicon.
Unless you like going extremely slow and don’t mind dragging the rear on even the easiest of trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles