A Discussion of Differing Points of View: Is Jeep Leasing an Intelligent Choice or a Dumb One ??

MOguy

Explorer
The best car is a paid off car. Take the monthly lease / loan payment and multiply that by whatever you wish and put that amount in your bank account. In the end, take that balance and apply it towards your retirement goal and deduct from years till retirement and enjoy.......just saying.

I used to think that way but not anymore. I make a good living and a few hundred dollars a month is not that much compared to have your peace of mind.

I trust my Jeep but I don't want my wife driving to that much. We had a nice wonderful 4Runner stranded 165000 miles, and a nice wonderful of the Denali, stranded at about a hundred five thousand miles. the Toyota was a head and th Denali what's the transfer case, fixed than the trans started drinking fluid. Neither a easy roadside repair.

I just don't have faith in newer Vehicles lasting long.

Last edited:

billiebob

Leasing only makes sense for a business wanting help with cash flow.

Buying makes sense if you cannot take advantage of the small business tax advantages.
Leasing forces a bunch of "do nots" on the contract.
Do not exceed so many miles.
Do not modify it.
At lease end sure you can swap it for a new one but there will be a bunch of extra charges like replace the windshield. And return all your mods to stock, original condition. What you call normal wera and tear, they will charge you for.

Financially, if you save for the down payment and finance thru your bank at a good rate you will spend thousands less than if you lease. With a lease you will never own it..... unless you buy it out. Add up all the lease expenses, including the buy out..... compare that to a down payment and loan....

billiebob

I just don't have faith in newer Vehicles lasting long.
So true.... which is why I buy clean, low milage, used vehicles.
I also hate the "is it warranty or not warranty" arguement with service writers, so I save 50% plus and buy a used vehicle with an expired warranty.

D

Deleted member 9101

Its really simple:

If you want a new vehicle every couple of years, lease. You don't have to deal with depreciation.

If you like to hold on to a vehicle, buy it. You pay it off and enjoy extra money in the bank.

I kept my last truck for 15 years and 259,000 miles...11 years with out payments and minimal repairs. Leasing trucks to cover that amount of time would have cost many thousands more.

shade

I had an LJ, after less than a year I sold it and bought another TJ.
LJs lose all the reasons for buying a Wrangler, longer is not better.
Frankly, if an extra 15" of body length is going to make the difference in getting past an obstacle, I wouldn't want to drive there anyway.

As usual, it depends on the intended use. The LJ offers some significant advantages over the equivalent TJ, but I can understand the desire for the shorter version, too.

MOguy

Explorer
Leasing only makes sense for a business wanting help with cash flow.

Buying makes sense if you cannot take advantage of the small business tax advantages.
Leasing forces a bunch of "do nots" on the contract.
Do not exceed so many miles.
Do not modify it.
At lease end sure you can swap it for a new one but there will be a bunch of extra charges like replace the windshield. And return all your mods to stock, original condition. What you call normal wera and tear, they will charge you for.

Financially, if you save for the down payment and finance thru your bank at a good rate you will spend thousands less than if you lease. With a lease you will never own it..... unless you buy it out. Add up all the lease expenses, including the buy out..... compare that to a down payment and loan....

At the end of the lease you can trade in in just like if you where buying. For about 800 bucks (somewhat negotiable) I bought an insurance for usual wear and tear including brakes and tires.

If I trade it that 800 dollars is wasted money. Miles can cost you but will be less painful if you trade it in.
It is all about the trade in/residual value.

If you modify the vehicle and turn it in that can cost you.

There are definitely limitations with leasing.

It is a calculator drill and you have to look at the history of the vehicle.

The trade in value for a three year old vehicle like mine with the amount I drive is about the same as the residual value as mine.

Even if I loose a grand or two I still come out way ahead of vehicles I have bought and traded in after three years and my payments were lower.

As far as business write off? I have rentals and use my 79 one ton Chevy to haul off trash and materials to fix / maintain it.

I can write of the miles or cost to operate it. It is not 100% used for business so I write off the miles. I am not sure what the tax right advantage is for buying vs leasing?

Other things I own for my business I can depreciate but only for so long. I suppose with a lease that would be different.

I won't use my leased vehicle for business so I can't write it off.

Last edited:

billiebob

Frankly, if an extra 15" of body length is going to make the difference
packing yer stuff, yer just packing too much

but when towing a trailer it makes a huuge difference reversing, turning around, placing the trailer
otherwise we would all drive crewcabs

shade

packing yer stuff, yer just packing too much

but when towing a trailer it makes a huuge difference reversing, turning around, placing the trailer
otherwise we would all drive crewcabs
If you're crowded in a TJ, you have too much stuff ... unless you tow a trailer ... because then you have just the right amount of stuff ... or something.

Hey, as long as it makes sense to you, right?

billiebob

For the lease vs loan discussion for just an average guy.

Lease is all about choice, convenience. You can trade up/down, get a new vehicle with no effort.
Loan is about ownership and freedom. It is yours. You can abuse it, modify it, park it and save it.

But changing a car you own involves selling it, trading it in, much more shopping and effort than with a lease, and likely more uncertainty. While a lease will cost more, it is completely predictable.

MOguy

Explorer
For the lease vs loan discussion for just an average guy.

Lease is all about choice, convenience. You can trade up/down, get a new vehicle with no effort.
Loan is about ownership and freedom. It is yours. You can abuse it, modify it, park it and save it.

But changing a car you own involves selling it, trading it in, much more shopping and effort than with a lease, and likely more uncertainty. While a lease will cost more, it is completely predictable.
And if you are only interested in keeping the vehicle for a short period of time.

Mike W.

We lease my wife's car. Just picked up an Audi Q7 3.0 TDI fully optioned. She doesn't drive much and we use a outside leasing company. Zero down $385 per month.

I buy my vehicles. I use mine for both work and play..I modify my vehicles..I scratch,dent and abuse my stuff and drive an average of 40,000 per year. My wife drives an average of 5000 a year and we use the lease car for one long trip a year..We turned in a Caddie CTSV..with 28000 of the allowed 30000. It works for us..We have been leasing her cars since 2000..

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-days-of-cheap-jeep-gladiator-leases-are-over/ar-AAHiowE

“Jeep Says The Days Of Cheap Gladiator Leases Are Over”

(Well, crud, that was a nice run for a while at least)

This isn't going to be good news for those who have been wanting to get a hold of the advertised cheap lease prices for a Jeep Gladiator.
The increase in lease prices was spotted by CarsDirect. According to the website, the Gladiator lease prices have been steadily on an upward trend since May of this year. Jeep's online payment calculator on that month for a Gladiator Sport with a manual transmission was at $196 for 36 months with 10 percent down payment. Today, however, it's listed at $246 per month.
The increase, according to CarsDirect, was due to a 4 to 5 percent drop in residual values and a rate equivalent to 5.3 percent APR. To recall, the Jeep Gladiator can be lased back in April for $143 a month on a two-year lease for 10,000 miles a year. Last month, the Gladiator was listed with a lease price that's lower than the cheaper Wrangler.
The tables have been turned, however. The Gladiator Sport S is now listed with a $319 for 36 months with $4,939 at signing, amounting to a $456 per month effective cost. The Wrangler Sport has an effective cost of $401, while the four-door version Wrangler Unlimited Sport is at $412. With that, the Gladiator isn't cheaper to lease than the similarly-optioned Wrangler anymore.
While the lease prices are indeed going up, CarsDirect's pricing analyst thinks that it won't slow down Gladiator buyers. Jeep dealers may have given the truck a huge markup since its launch but it has been observed the demand for the Gladiator is still high while the average transaction prices are steadily falling, with dealers having list prices of over $40,000.
Research the Jeep Gladiator on MSN Autos

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles