A discussion about Rover pricing....are values really gone this high?

A.J.M

Explorer
Yes values are in the up for many models.

The market for classic range rovers has exploded, a guy in my club runs a restoration business.
He’s been sorting the mechanical and bodywork of a Suffix B 2 door.
He’s £42,000 so far for the bill and there’d another £10k for interior. But the vendor paying the bill already has a London buyer for over £100k for it!

Classic defender values for over here are all on the up, the supply of cheap beaters for off road work for a couple of grand is gone.
Also the days of rusty classic 4 door range rovers for £500 are gone. It’s £3k minimum for them now.

The values of older series models are also going daft.
My own 1950 80” is now worth a fair bit more than what I’ve paid for it and what I’ve spent on fixing it up.
I’m in a healthy profit in the car should I ever sell. Which I won’t.

AZBaobab

Observer
This seems to be the thread of folks who might be able to help me out!

I posted it over in the Vehicles for Sale section, but I'll be importing (shipping on the 12th), an '84 Series III / Santana diesel, hardtop.
As mentioned over there, it's extremely low miles (hair under 16,000), excellent condition original paint, interior, etc. (pics in that thread)

I'm seeing crazy prices on Hemmings, Bring a Trailer, not to mention Autotrader Classic, etc. But if I was actually looking to move it, what is you guy's opinion is regarding asking price? This particular one is already bought and paid for in my name, so even if I don't sell it, I'd be more than happy to keep it! Still, the original idea is as an investment/initial business venture (we'll see!), so any advice you guys might have would be hugely welcome!

bri

Adventurer
you would be lucky if some even allow your vehicles on the auction site. as others have said these prices only happen at auction and only happen with really clean vehicles, which you do not have.

They *might* catch 3-4x book, which would be 5-6k.

billiebob

This seems to be the thread of folks who might be able to help me out!

I posted it over in the Vehicles for Sale section, but I'll be importing (shipping on the 12th), an '84 Series III / Santana diesel, hardtop.
As mentioned over there, it's extremely low miles (hair under 16,000), excellent condition original paint, interior, etc. (pics in that thread)

I'm seeing crazy prices on Hemmings, Bring a Trailer, not to mention Autotrader Classic, etc. But if I was actually looking to move it, what is you guy's opinion is regarding asking price? This particular one is already bought and paid for in my name, so even if I don't sell it, I'd be more than happy to keep it! Still, the original idea is as an investment/initial business venture (we'll see!), so any advice you guys might have would be hugely welcome!
Santana is the Spanish one. Over here I'm not sure how many people know these were considerably cheaper than the British built ones when new. I read several reviews of them 40 years ago and it was like comparing a Ford to an Edsel, a Fiat 124 to a Lada Niva.

This one looks very clean it appears 100% stock and untouched. The engine looks like every other 40 year old well maintained engine compartment. Realistically I'd say ask $24K.... but I'd put it on Bring a Trailer with a $20K reserve and pray for 2 new guys with egos to battle it out.

Low miles is one of the things BaT loves. No idea how well this might do. It looks too much like a used car. The big $$$ go to restorations where the thing looks better than new. AND the BIG $$$ go to 4x4s with 4 doors. Take any old truck, make it a Crew Cab Shortbox 4x4 with a monster EFI engine..... it'll fetch $60K more than it would have as a 2 door with a carburetor.

The newest market is for rebodied modern vehicles like this brand new Ford Raptor with a 1979 4 door Bronco body. $196K.

vs this completely stock 1979 pickup $15K.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles