A Different Type of Build

drobb

Adventurer
Hi Everyone.....I wasn't really sure where to start this since the Sequoia doesn't really fit into any of the categories. So I guess I will start here.

Our build had a few different objectives then most on here. The Sequoia is not used so much for trails and such. It is used and built as a daily driver and to get our desert toys to our camp site.......the toys are for the trails, dunes, etc. :victory:

For many years we had a full size Dodge and a toyhauler trailer with ATVs.....the setup was very simple and the Dodge could pull a house after all the mods.
TruckNoShell.jpg

During this time my wife was driving a basically stock Sequoia....hauling kids and a dog everywhere.
Sequoia_stock.jpg

As the kids got older/ bigger and we purchased more desert toys.....it was time for an RV. We sold the toyhauler and purchased a 28ft Class A with a 16ft utility trailer. We were 48 ft long when everything was hooked up :Wow1:

buggy.jpg

rzr_01.JPG

BaseOfOlds.jpg

Fast forward a few more years.....the kids are now even older...busy with friends, school,etc. Desert time became more difficult. So I sold the Dodge, RV, buggy, and utility trailer and bought a Toyota Tacoma.

tacoma_toys.jpg

We were out of the desert scene for a few years with only the occasional weekend trip.

It's funny how things come full circle at times. We missed the desert and the simple set up.

With 2 out of the 3 kids out of the house and off to college or working......we could start a new set up and go back to simple.
My wife wanted a new car. So I took her Sequoia, traded in the Tacoma towards her new car and BAM!!!.....I have a "new to me" Sequoia to start building.

I needed the Sequoia to be able to handle a fairly heavy load and still be able to get to our campsites in the desert......soft sand, hardpack, etc. We also needed to be able to sleep in it for short weekend trips.

Here are the specs so far.......

2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4

3rd row seats removed

Running boards removed.

King Coilovers up front

Built Right UCA

Eagle Alloy Series 012 17x9

General Grabber AT2 265/70/17

Spacers and 5100s in rear

Need to give a BIG THANKS to James at The Truck Shop for his patience and knowledge!!!

Sequoia_02.jpg

Sequoia_03.jpg

That's all for now.

Future mods include:
LED light bar up front
Roof rack
Custom coils in the rear
Solar
....and the list goes on

drobb

Adventurer
Exhaust upgrade:

Out with the old:
BAM_02.jpg

In with the new:
BAM_03.jpg

Installed:
BAM_04.jpg

This setup is GREAT!.......Helped with the low end. Nice deep tone.....NO drone.....but step on the gas and it's awesome!!!!

Derek24

Explorer
Can you get a video of the exhaust? Thinking about getting one for my sequoia. So far your build looks great!

drobb

Adventurer
Can you get a video of the exhaust? Thinking about getting one for my sequoia. So far your build looks great!

Thanks Derek24!......I tried to take a couple of videos......my cell phone quality does not do the exhaust justice. I had the 18 inch muffler installed on mine. It has a good rich deep tone. Give BAMuffler a call. Really cool guys to work with and they build the exhaust to your exact wants and needs.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thx,
D

drobb

Adventurer
Update: I like simple clean lines on a vehicle..... and I was bored. So I shaved the V8 emblem off the upper front grill. Made a license plate bracket to mount the plate above the lower front grill to make room for a couple of led light bars.

Before the license plate bracket, but ya get the idea.

Sequoia_04.jpg

Last edited:

drobb

Adventurer
Here's a quick mock-up of what I am thinking....License plate raised, lower led bars added with blacked out horizontal grill piece. Roof led bar is also on the wish list, but that may need to wait.

Sequoia_04_wLights.jpg

drobb

Adventurer
Looking good! I say get rid of the front license plate all together!

Thanks Derek...... but good 'ol CA requires one and the last thing I need is a reason to get pulled over:littlefriend:

btw...Did you call BAMuffler yet? Go order one!!!!!!.........lol

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Right on! We've done several Sequioa's at the shop, just keep thinking outside the box and your mod list will never end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94