A deal I couldn't pass up.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
So, I've been sort a kinda looking for a nice dual sport for a while. Want to do some trail riding with a few buddies that have em. So anyway, I do a quick search thru craigslist and find a nice 2006 DRZ with only 2000 miles on it, asking $3500 for it. I email the guy for some pics he sends them and it looks pretty clean. So today (Saturday) I get an email from the guy saying he really wants it gone how's $3200 sound? So, I call him back and offer $2800. He actually laughs at me! Then says why don't you come look at it. So I thought what the hell, drive down and look at it and it's it really good shape. He tells me he really wants to get $3000 for it, to which I say lets split the difference at $2900. He talks it over with the wife and she's says I want it out of the garage.

Lesson for today? Never negotiate with the wife standing nearby holding her hand out.

So, I think I got a really nice bike for dirt cheap IMO. :wings: What do you guys think?

I'd post pics but unfortunately I'm not that tech savvy.

Last edited:
Good deal. They are great bikes. I have a friend who has departed on a 'Round the World expedition via S.E. Asia on a DRZ400
38249_418296412420_501587420_4561076_741609_n.jpg

58763_437876157420_501587420_5018362_6122885_n.jpg

My brother had a DRZ and it truly is a great bike... if you get a good one.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
What size DRZ is it?

It's a DRZ400S dual sport, sorry in all the excitement of a new toy I guess I forgot that part.

Unfortunately I've never been good at posting pics, I can send them to you in an email if you like. She's yellow and blue btw.

I rode it around yesterday and it's a great running bike, idle was set a little high. Considering the guy just had it in the shop for a carb cleaning from sitting I figure that's ok. Just a quick turn of a screw and she's fine now.

It's a DRZ400S dual sport, sorry in all the excitement of a new toy I guess I forgot that part.

Unfortunately I've never been good at posting pics, I can send them to you in an email if you like. She's yellow and blue btw.

I rode it around yesterday and it's a great running bike, idle was set a little high. Considering the guy just had it in the shop for a carb cleaning from sitting I figure that's ok. Just a quick turn of a screw and she's fine now.

Ah got it. :)

Excellent choice. The more I ride my DL650 and the little DR200SE, the more I realize the best 50/50 bike out there is in the 400 range.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Just got back from a 130+ mile ride up and around Palomar Mountain here in San Diego county. Bike ran great and was more fun than should be allowed. Couldn't have picked a better area for a getting to know you ride, very scenic up that way. She chugged right up past the 5000 foot mark with out a sputter or complaint. Now I gotta test her offroad, a little concerned about the death wings, I've heard they are down right pathetic offroad. I do have to admit they work pretty well on road though, I leaned her over pretty good today and they held the line just fine.

Gotta look into that Corbin seat though, my but hurts. :( I knew going into it that the seat leaves a lot to be desired though.

the more I realize the best 50/50 bike out there is in the 400 range.

That's where I got to as well, but being what I would call not small. (6'1" 265) I wasn't sure how the 400 would haul my big but around, a buddy of mine let me ride his and I was hooked. The 400 has plenty of power IMO for run'n trails and such, it seems happiest on the upper end between 60-65. It'll run 75 but its really winding out. For commuting I'd keep your V-Strom, but if your looking to upgrade your 200. The 400 seems like a really nice bike.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
LaOutbackTrail,

Your friends bike is quite the set up, I'm really liking that dual headlight. The aluminum luggage is pretty slick too. But around the world? After today I'd absolutely spring for a more comfy seat. Thanks for posting the pics of your friends bike.

robert

Expedition Leader
Do a 3x3 mod and jet kit on it and you'll be even happier. :bike_rider:

I love mine even if it did try to kill me recently- front MT21 blew, death wobble, low side= broken arm. Thank God no traffic was coming. Be careful switching to knobbies as they'll handle very different than the OEMs and they generally need to be balanced to run at highway speeds.

LaOutbackTrail,

Your friends bike is quite the set up, I'm really liking that dual headlight. The aluminum luggage is pretty slick too. But around the world? After today I'd absolutely spring for a more comfy seat. Thanks for posting the pics of your friends bike.

Initially, I said the same thing... A 400??? After touring on an XR400, I saw the light. He completed the Houston to Tierra del Fuego trip a couple years ago on a BMW F650GS. His biggest complaint, packing too much and the bike weighing a ton. The DRZ has plenty of power and is capable of doing almost everything.

The best experiences he had were on the back roads of South America and intends to have similar experiences through SE asia, Asia, and Europe.

Lucky

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Now I gotta test her offroad, a little concerned about the death wings, I've heard they are down right pathetic offroad. I do have to admit they work pretty well on road though, I leaned her over pretty good today and they held the line just fine.

Gotta look into that Corbin seat though, my but hurts. :( I knew going into it that the seat leaves a lot to be desired though.

The Deathwings are pretty darn good on the road (wet and dry). But I swapped mine out long before they were due (at about 1000 miles IIRC). I really hated them off road - and once I lost confidence in them, it just wasn't worth keeping them. I went with IRC GP-1s and was very happy with them as a 50-50 tire. There's also a Shinko copy of the GP-1 (244?) that pretty cheap. I hear good things about Michelin T-63s as well for a more aggressive tire.

That seat is a torture device. I could only last about 100 miles on mine. Check out Renazco seats as well.

And Robert is spot on about the 3x3 and jetting if it hasn't been done so already. It is singularly the best bang for the back for the DRZ IMHO.

If I didn't need a more road worthy bike for this area, I'd probably still have mine.

I agree with the carb/airbox mods. Do it.

Seat, check out corbin, renazco or sweet cheeks. If you are trying to pinch your pennys. My brother tied a life jacket to his seat on a 1200-mile-in-2 days-trip.

Tires- I count every penny when I purchase something. My best 50/50 tire with the best puncture resistance (Think getting stuck in Mexico) has been the TKC80 and for more offroad travel I prefer the Kenda Trakmaster II. The TrakII is my favorite tire... although I had my first sliding adventure on pavement using them. :Wow1:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Tires for your bike.

You commented about tires. I have a set of Michelin MT63s with about 4,000 miles on them. I should get ~2 K miles more out of the rear tire and the front should last all the way through another new rear. MT63's do very well on asphalt and are also excellent on gravel, dirt, rock, etc. I haven't done much in mud or water with them yet. Oh, I'm running an '02 Dakar, so you may see even better mileage with them on a lighter bike.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a Corbin on mine- if you're near SC you're welcome to try it before you drop the change. It's designed to be wider in the rear so you can slide back for longer riding but it's narrow in the front for more technical stuff. Like the bike itself it's a compromise- some like them, some don't. I'm still sort of on the fence about it. I'm still thinking about recovering my stock seat with the kit that guy on thumpertalk sells. IIRC it's about $150 and has been getting very good reviews.

From this thread:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896811

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer Robert, that's really nice of you. I have previously read that thread on TT and have decided that's the way to go for me. Seem's everyone that's tried those seat covers love em. Thanks again.

Also, thanks to all for the tips!!! Really appreciate the info. I've been enjoying the bike quite a bit since I got it. Still very happy with it and it's performance. I've tried a bike with the 3x3 mod and it's got quite bit more pull, so that'll be done in the near future as well. Thanks again to all for the input/feedback!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94