A chocoholics dream come true - Black Sapote!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
You never know what the day will hold and yesterday we discovered an amazing new treat. :sombrero:

We stopped in this quaint little town for a bit of a rest and look around on our way back from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. The place was called Maleny. During our little visit we stopped into this organic food store and I saw this funny looking "something" with the fruit and vegetables. I asked Martha, have you heard of this before and she quickly exclaimed yes and we are buying one! Hmmm, this could be interesting I thought to myself.

The fruit in question was called a Black Sapote other common names are: the Chocolate Pudding Fruit, Black Persimmon or Chocolate-Fruit. From the internet, we discovered that this fruit is native to Mexico and Guatemala. It's also cultivated in Florida, Philippines, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Hawaii. As we discovered yesterday it's also found in Queensland, not sure how widespread it is though.

The fruit has the shape and size of a tomato but with an overgrown stem/leaves. It's dark green in colour. Once you cut it open, it's a rich brown-dark colour inside. The consistency reminds me of a cross between a mousse and mashed bananas. It has this rich, sweet but very mellow taste. We simply scooped it out onto some nice vanilla flavoured soy “ice cream”. It was simply fantastic! A word to the wise, do not eat this fruit unless it’s completely ripe. In fact at first glance you may think that it’s gone bad but similar to it’s cousin the Persimmon you can’t eat is unless it’s fully ripe. I’ve tried the Persimmon “almost” ready to eat and could not get the taste out of my mouth for nearly a day! Trust me on this one, don’t go there. To the chocoholics out there, it’s low in fat, is an excellent source of Vitamin C, can be used as a chocolate substitute.
I really wish we had taken some photos but alas we didn’t. The internet provided some nice photos and details.

Photo of the Black Sapote

Wikipedia – Black Sapote

So, have you ever heard of the Black Sapote?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles