A Cheap and Cheerful Build - Geoff

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
More details on your power bleeding hack for brakes please.....I couldn’t tell what was going on from the one photo. Thanks!

coffeegoat

Adventurer
More details on your power bleeding hack for brakes please.....I couldn’t tell what was going on from the one photo. Thanks!
Sure, so the trick with power bleeding is you need to put pressure on the reservoir, and have enough volume that the pressure is roughly constant as you're bleeding out fluid. They make fancy caps and tanks to do this, but I only need to bleed my brakes once every couple years, so buying a tool I'd rarely use didn't make sense.

What I did is get a mountain bike tube, cut it about 4 inches away from the valve, and then folded it in half and zip tied the short end. Fill the brake reservoir up as full as you can, stretch the open end over the reservoir neck, and then use a pipe clamp to secure it in place. Then you can use a bike pump to pressurize the tube up to 20 psi or so. This gives you enough pressure, and volume to bleed one, maybe two wheels. Make sure you don't over bleed and get more air into the system.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Sure, so the trick with power bleeding is you need to put pressure on the reservoir, and have enough volume that the pressure is roughly constant as you're bleeding out fluid. They make fancy caps and tanks to do this, but I only need to bleed my brakes once every couple years, so buying a tool I'd rarely use didn't make sense.

What I did is get a mountain bike tube, cut it about 4 inches away from the valve, and then folded it in half and zip tied the short end. Fill the brake reservoir up as full as you can, stretch the open end over the reservoir neck, and then use a pipe clamp to secure it in place. Then you can use a bike pump to pressurize the tube up to 20 psi or so. This gives you enough pressure, and volume to bleed one, maybe two wheels. Make sure you don't over bleed and get more air into the system.
Um, this is BRILLIANT man! This needs to get some likes. I’m in the same boat, although I have 3 cars I tend to and one does track time every so often and I hate bleeding brakes with pump-bleed-close-pump again.

MTVR

Lol.

Did anyone understand your "Geoff" reference?

...maybe we should call our vehicle the "Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust"...

Last edited:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Also, 20 psi seems to be sufficient?

It doesn't need to be much, higher pressure just pushes it out faster. When I'm bleeding brakes by myself the last thing I want is to be spraying brake fluid everywhere.

Other folks have just purchased a spare brake fluid reservoir cap and installed a bike valve on it to do the same thing, though it has a smaller air reservoir in this case.

Lol.

Did anyone understand your "Geoff" reference?

...maybe we should call our vehicle the "Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust"...

I did consider the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust, and "the james"

coffeegoat

Adventurer
It comes with a whole box of miscellaneous parts. There might be an extension cord in there, I didn't spec it out with the built in generator though.

MTVR

We saw the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust (Geoff) in the Top Gear Museum in England, during the CHM era. We also got to see the Reliant Robin space shuttle, the limousines, the diesel BMW 3-series race car, the rocket-powered Mini, the Toyboata, the Nissank, the indestructable Toyota Hilux, and many others...

coffeegoat

Adventurer
We saw the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust (Geoff) in the Top Gear Museum in England, during the CHM era. We also got to see the Reliant Robin space shuttle, the limousines, the diesel BMW 3-series race car, the rocket-powered Mini, the Toyboata, the Nissank, the indestructable Toyota Hilux, and many others...

Awesome! I'd love to see that stuff, my wife and I are big fans. We both got some nasty virus in college and binge watched every series that was available at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke