A Cheap and Cheerful Build - Geoff

coffeegoat

Adventurer
It's been a long time coming but I've finally checked off all the boxes to start my build. The last piece of the puzzle was the sale of my cherished 1985 Nissan Pickup, it's been in the family for ~ 30 years but with another munchkin on the way it was time to get something that could carry children in comfort and safety. May it see many long years with it's new owner.

IMAG0239.jpg

With the sale of the truck the proceeds will provide the first chunk of money for updating, repairing, and upgrading my 2001 Montero Limited with 95k for about $3750 (feel free to tell me I overpaid, this way hopefully the next guy won't :) ). As I've mentioned in other posts I spent a bunch time trying to find the best vehicle for my needs which means light overlanding, daily driver, kid hauler, home depot runs, hunting, and camping. With one munchkin already and another on the way I'm beginning to see the light of car camping when you can actually get into the back country vs finding a "campground"... This led me to the GX470 and the Montero, I've noted in other places (here) why I selected the Montero, but as a bit of a challenge to myself I've decided I want to get my new monty completely refreshed and kit'd out for half the cost of a similarly aged GX 470. Here's what I'm starting with:

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

I've decided to call it "Geoff" as a thinly veiled Top Gear reference, it's also shorter than my wife's idea of "The maroon monster." It isn't all that pretty to look at but it's in good mechanical shape.

I've also got a few different ideas on how to structure this build thread so we'll see how they go - wish me luck.

Update/Maintenance Jobs so far:
Brake Job - Google doc
Engine Refresh - Google Doc

Last edited:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
So as I mentioned, I'm trying something a bit different in my build thread, as much as I like reading through forums to figure out things work, looking at a bunch of pictures, reading lists, I'm an engineer by training and hence I really like spreadsheets. So I'm going to try and manage all my work via google docs. They'll include all the things I need to know, and hence all the stuff that others may need to know, about how I did something, where I bought something, and what tutorials I followed along the way.

Here's the project overview - items are noted as required, for just desirable, miscellaneous notes about which tutorial to follow, and cost information. I'll be working at a rate of ~$130/month plus bonus's like the sale of my old truck, or other chunks of cash that magically show up.

My first big project is the engine refresh - I've got several outstanding questions on this before I get rolling if anyone has some insight.

1) Parts list - am I missing anything? I built the list based on the 2.5 parts list along with looking through the FSM to try and catch all the standard stuff for the standard water pump/timing belt job, but it's totally possible I missed something...
2) OEM vs Aftermarket - should anything switch to OEM from aftermarket or vice versa? I just read today that there may be problems with the Fel-pro valve cover gasket fitting correctly. It's cheap and easy to make a change now, later, not so much...
3) Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I've read some people recommend just doing the head gasket and valve seals while it's all open, I can do this, but if it's unnecessary I'd rather not.

Well, that do you folks all think, good as is or do I need some modifications.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
So far I haven't had much money or time invested into the re-build process as I was waiting for the old truck to sell, but in order to make it drivable I did a brake job, and along the way invented a super cheap way to pressure bleed the brakes. It's super redneck, but should you ever find you need to pressure bleed a hydraulic system it worked pretty well. The tutorial is here, and as a teaser - here is a picture of the "tool" in action.

IMAG0266.jpg

As I mentioned in the document, I'll be trying to document all the upgrades using a tablet camera and the voice to text tool in google docs. My thought is this way I can stick the tablet in a ziplock bag so I can hold onto it with greasy hands and document as I go without needing a keyboard. We'll see how it works in the long run.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Oh, by the way, if people hate going to the google doc links, I can copy stuff over here as well, I just find it easier to keep track of stuff if it's all in one place.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
That was actually my though for the google docs, tons of guys on this forum have done brilliant things to their rigs, but it takes hours to comb through the forum, track down the part numbers, tutorials, FSM, etc before you start your project. This way, if you want, you can just make a copy of the sheet, modify it as you see fit in 10 minutes, and off you go- parts, budget, tutorials, etc all in 10 mintues. Also, this way noob like myself doesn't go irritating the experienced folks by re-asking questions that have been extensively answered, but perhaps not all in one place. Think of it like a glorified version the the 2.5 parts list sticky.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Last call on parts list review, planning on placing the order tomorrow so my labor day weekend can be an engine rebuild - still trying to ensure I'm hitting everything correctly the first time. The main questions are:

1) Parts list - am I missing anything? I built the list based on the 2.5 parts list along with looking through the FSM to try and catch all the standard stuff for the standard water pump/timing belt job, but it's totally possible I missed something...
2) OEM vs Aftermarket - should anything switch to OEM from aftermarket or vice versa? I just read today that there may be problems with the Fel-pro valve cover gasket fitting correctly. It's cheap and easy to make a change now, later, not so much...
3) Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I've read some people recommend just doing the head gasket and valve seals while it's all open, I can do this, but if it's unnecessary I'd rather not.

Thermostat -Mitsubishi 1305A239
Thermostat Gasket - Gates 33658 Thermostat seal
Crankshaft Bolt - Mitsubishi 1100A141
Crankshaft Washer - Mitsubishi MR994412
Crankshaft Seal Front - National 223750
Upper Hose - Gates 22656 (#9289, MH2656)
Lower Hose - Gates 22657 (#MH2657)
Timing Belt Kit -Aisin TKM005
Fan Belt -Gates K070951
Front Camshaft Seal - Timken 223010
Rear Camshaft Seal - Timken 710302
Crossover Pipe Gasket - Mitsubishi 1305A176
Valve Cover Gasket kit - Fel-Pro VS50461R (MD303148)
EGR Tube Gasket - Fel-Pro 70152
Intake Plenum Gasket -Fel-Pro MS95708
Throttle body Gasket -Fel-Pro 60879
Air Filter - Wix 46369
Spark plug - Denso 5303
Spark Plug wire - NGK 7005
Transmission fluid - Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III
Transfer Case Oil - Redline MT-90 GL-4 Gear Oil
Differential Oil - Redline 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil
Oil - Mobile 1 Advanced 10W-30
Oil Filter - DENSO 1502043

TheMole

Adventurer
Everyone recommends to use the OEM timing belt tensioner instead of the one that comes in the timing belt kits due to the high failure rate of aftermarket ones. Not sure if the Aisin kit's tensioner is the same supplier as the OEM one, but might want to check.

For the Gates upper/lower hoses, I noticed they were thicker than the OEM ones on my gen 2.5 so I couldn't reuse the OEM spring-loaded hose clamps. Not sure if it's the same on your gen 3, but might be something to watch out for.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Not sure if you are pulling the heads as well but...
When rebuilding the top end of my 2002 I purchased the oem gasket engine overhaul kit (MD977868), it's not cheap but worth the piece of mind.
I'd also suggest replacing the cylinder head bolts (MD065959) if you get that deep in.

After pulling the top end off, I ended up replacing three of the lifters as well.
Now at over 185k, the Monty is running like new again.

You may also want to give your manifolds a very close look, they are know to crack.

Cheers.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
It looks like the Timing belt kit from Aisin includes an OEM tensioner, so I'll stick with that one for this build

Is it worth pulling the heads to do the head gasket, valve seals, etc? The gasket kit and bolts aren't that expensive, once I'm all the way into the engine for the timing belt swap the labor is minimal, it's just a question of is it worth doing.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Inyo_Man

Do you have a parts list for that Overhaul Gasket kit? I'm having a hard time getting a complete list from the vendor - so far they've given me a picture....

Inyo_man

Inyo_Man

Do you have a parts list for that Overhaul Gasket kit? I'm having a hard time getting a complete list from the vendor - so far they've given me a picture....

oem gasket engine overhaul kit (MD977868)

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant the parts numbers for all the items in the MD977868 kit.

I asked if they had a list of all the items in the kit and they gave me the attached picture and said "all the gaskets and seals in the picture"

Capture.JPG

I'm just trying to make sure it's not missing something weird before I place the order, get it in, and then find I'm missing an exhaust manifold gasket because that's not included...

It looks like everything, I'd assume it's everything, but I know exactly how it goes when I assume stuff

Note - yes I see the actual exhaust manifold - just an exampl

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant the parts numbers for all the items in the MD977868 kit.

I asked if they had a list of all the items in the kit and they gave me the attached picture and said "all the gaskets and seals in the picture"

View attachment 363102

I'm just trying to make sure it's not missing something weird before I place the order, get it in, and then find I'm missing an exhaust manifold gasket because that's not included...

It looks like everything, I'd assume it's everything, but I know exactly how it goes when I assume stuff

Note - yes I see the actual exhaust manifold - just an exampl

Sorry, but I didn't bother to write down all of the individual part numbers that came in the kit.
The kit came with all the gaskets needed when tearing down the engine in order to remove the heads for machining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier