A Challenge - How Obese is your Rig?

toddz69

Explorer
I would bet that with your upgrades you have a higher GVW than Ford gave you.

I think so. I never really gave it much thought before this thread but I'm in agreement with Larry's assessment of his rig. I have upgraded axles, suspension, power train and larger brakes than stock as well and feel very confident I'm well within the confines of my truck's abilities when traveling.

Todd Z.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Original certified GVWR as posted on the door tag: 6,200 lbs. Actual weight when loaded for a weeklong trip in 2011: 8,020 lbs. :Wow1:

That all said, the upgrades done to this truck over the past 16 years do not change the fact that the door tag states it is certified at 6,200 lbs. GVWR. I suppose this could be a problem if I ever run into a state where they actually weigh non-commercial vehicles. Colorado does not weigh personal vehicles and knock on wood, I have not seen weigh stations for personal vehicles in AZ or UT either. Hope they don't have them in CA either! :smiley_drive:

I went through a couple of weeks of paranoia about my rig too. Door tag states 9200 gvw. I am 7200 with me, 80 lb Weimaraner, recovery gear and two full tanks of diesel. My camper weighs 3500 +/- with weekend gear in it. But with air bags, bilsteins etc it handles it like a dream. My insurance company states on their website that they will cover me if I exceed gvw, but may be deemed "at fault". But, they also tell me that with 27 years of driving with them, and no at fault accidents, I can have one and not lose my discount. End result: I no longer worry:sombrero:

NOIBN

Observer
Man, I was getting a little self-conscious having the most voluptuous rig in our little group, but after seeing this thread, it is appearing that my rig is becoming more and more svelte with each passing post. Ironically, my truck weighed almost exactly the same as yours Lance in its "light travel" form. After I installed the Dana 60 front I reweighed it and it was right at your weight. Since then, my tires and wheels got a little bit heavier, it grew a large winch, developed OBA and associated accessories, a third battery took up residence along with its umbilical cord and switch and the interior has provided a home to a wayward ARB 47L fridge, an over-engineered prototype sleeping platform along with some other neat oddities that make life in the wilderness just a bit more civilized. Heavy?? Yes. Too heavy?? Meh, maybe. It really does not drive like it weighs as much as it does. Granted it has one ton axles, brakes, drivetrain and suspension, but we beat it up a little on the way back to town Sunday on some twisty-turnies and it handled it like a pro, well, maybe an aging, slightly overweight pro, but a pro with some fight left nonetheless. It does put it in perspective a bit though. How much is too much kind of thing. I like Larry's comment about sorting out what to bring and what not to bring. I think we need a Four Corners version of the Hindsight-20-20-what-did-you-wish-you-had-left-behind-What-did-you-need to see what the veterans of Southwestern United States travel have found a way to live without. That could probably be almost equal in value as just knowing what your rig weighs. Like Jenny Craig for your rig??

IMG_6171.jpg

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I was quite surprised my truck weighed so much ... The listed weight is 1800kg, the scale said otherwise... and the ruck was set-up as a daily driver, not for overlanding.

IMG_0325sm.jpg

KELLEVRA

Observer
fatso

Took it across the scales not long ago, without all the gear it was 8600LBs, closer to 14,000 fully loaded with camping trailer

Jims 109.jpgJims 111.jpg

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I'm shooting for 24 000 - 26 000 pounds with 120 gallons of fuel, 140 gallons of water, and all gear. Chassis is good for 34 000 pounds. Got tired of overloading my one ton.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 45

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This is before any build process and without the bumper winch combo. Full tank of fuel and one fat arsed driver. But I do have 14,400 GVRW.

document-ambulance weight fully fueled but no camping gear apart from bed. sun aug 28 2011.jpg

p4280548.jpg

ExpoMike

ExpoMike, Well done!, your truck must be a libra. :chef:

Downside is, I do not nearly have the gear I want to carry (spares, recovery, etc.) because I haven't found a good way of carrying/securing items. I really would like to move over to a flatbed with storage boxes or a utility bed but am also concerned about weight creep. This has been a major reason I haven't put a bumper/winch on the front. To keep weight down, I really want to do an aluminum bumper but am having a hard time justifying a $2000+ bumper plus the cost of the winch. Steel bumpers seem to be in the 200+ lbs. range plus the winch weight but cost less. I miss my M1010 which scaled in at 6700 lbs. and had a GVW of 9900 lbs. Gave me a lot more headroom for gear. Oh well...

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice CRD Grand!

This is a cool thread. It is shocking how quickly a vehicle can exceed GVW. A Jeep Wrangler in particular, which has only a 1,050 payload. Two occupants, a front bumper/winch and a little gear and you are there. By contrast, by 1995 Discovery has a 1,600 lb payload. The VDJ78s can carry a metric ton!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior