A camper worth waiting for

Bris31

Adventurer
rruff,
Bris31 is from Brisbane, a.k.a. BrisVegas, Australia, so sub-zero and below freezing are one in the same, as 0 degrees Centigrade is freezing, though I am not sure if Brisbane gets that cold or not.

Thanks DzlToy. Haven't seen 0C (32F) in Brisbane yet. But in winter traveling in middle of Australia (Simpson Desert) or S. Australia, often we got 0C or below. Then it gets to 25C (77F) in the middle of the day.

DzlToy

Explorer
Some fabric suggestions from my notes on soft tops:

For durability, you should find a fairly robust 100% Olefin fabric. Don't pay extra for a higher double rub number and don't expect the fabric to be soft. For that, you might consider a 100% polyester that has been treated with a Crypton fabric finish, which is THE gold standard for water/stain proofing.

Generally, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is considered to be the gold standard for Sunbrella waterproofing treatment, and we agree. (this is also an anti-mildew treatment. Make sure that it does not decrease breathability of the fabric.) Compare this to OEM Hydro-Max coating from WeatherMax 80.

Flexible Radiant Barrier:
http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

Some fabric suggestions from my notes on soft tops:

For durability, you should find a fairly robust 100% Olefin fabric. Don't pay extra for a higher double rub number and don't expect the fabric to be soft. For that, you might consider a 100% polyester that has been treated with a Crypton fabric finish, which is THE gold standard for water/stain proofing.

Generally, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is considered to be the gold standard for Sunbrella waterproofing treatment, and we agree. (this is also an anti-mildew treatment. Make sure that it does not decrease breathability of the fabric.) Compare this to OEM Hydro-Max coating from WeatherMax 80.

Flexible Radiant Barrier:
http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm
Cheers DzlToy, that sounds like a great place to start. I had already hoped to do something along the lines of what you've just mentioned but hadn't looked into the exact products that are out there. I doubt I'll be breaking new ground in this area so I appreciate the experience of one that's already been there. Even this pop top is going to be warmer than our current (brand new) motorhome which is riddled with holes and vents for gas safety. The blown gas heating has to come on alot at night through the winter.

gait

Explorer
some cross ventilation is good, even in very cold, even in very dry. Closed up can be oppressive and damp. Comfort is about more than temperature.

some cross ventilation is good, even in very cold, even in very dry. Closed up can be oppressive and damp. Comfort is about more than temperature.
Agreed, but being able to control when and where that ventilation is coming from will be a welcome change.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a fan forced roof vent that you've installed? As much as I'd like a roof that was fully insulated all the way along, I think it would be prudent to include some form of extraction over the hobs.

Spanna 53

We have a Camec range hood above the hot plates ( not having any desire to travel abroad ) I have LPG cooking , my wife liked the idea of having a vent above our bed for some reason don't know why ! Our pop top sock is a plastic canvas type material which is white and doesn't seem dark and oppressive like some of the cream or gray socks tend to it has zip covers over four windows with fly screens in then which on the hot nights we leave them open with the windows and door Ross

Oka 374

We've got a Fantastic vent in the roof doubles as an extractor fan when cooking, get the top of the line one with remote and rain detector. The rain detector means you can leave it open on a hot day when parked and unattended and it will close itself if it rains. The version with remote allows for infinitely variable fan speed and the ability to set a temp and the fan will maintain it, again this is great if you have to leave the vehicle locked up anywhere.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We run the Maxxair ones. The best part is that they have a built in rain cover and when open are not as high as the Fantastic fans. It theory you can go down the road with them open. Given their extreme price I am not going to try that on purpose.

The height it open to was a factor for us due to the possibility of shading of the solar panels.

I have had a couple of the rain sensing Fantastic fans and they both failed. I still have one in the garage that I am considering using as a vent fan for the electrical/electronics cabinet. That area has a lot of heat buildup when cranking out solar charging as well as using the inverter. (A tip for builders. As much as it is nice to have all your controllers, inverters etc easily accessible from inside they produce a lot of heat).

Thanks guys. I had been looking at both the Fantastic and Maxxair lines already but I wasn't a fan :)rolleyes:) of how proud they sit when in the closed position. Roof height is fairly critical for containerisation and with all these models the roof fan will be the highest thing by far (around 130mm for the Maxxair). I think for weight purposes on the pop top I will go with flexible solar panels (approx 50kg less) and even when mounted with a small gap for air flow underneath, these will be much lower than a vent. Although it doesn't include a fan, perhaps another option could be a double glazed acrylic marine hatch (Lewmar seem common) with a blind and mosquito screen fitted inside? These sit about 30mm above roof level or can be flush mounted with a suitable recess. They somehow manage to be even more expensive than a thermostatically controlled fan unit though! Perhaps the pop top will simply provide the ventilation we need and when it's down/closed up, the side windows and hob extraction can make up for the lack of a roof vent if I decide to not include one.

Those Camec range hoods look excellent and I'd be able to duct the air out the side.

(A tip for builders. As much as it is nice to have all your controllers, inverters etc easily accessible from inside they produce a lot of heat).
Noted. I'll see what I can come up with to combat the issue.

Also, 100 posts and 4000 views! Thanks to everyone once again for the first hand reports and recommendations, there's alot more to come on this thread yet...

Well so much for 'A camper worth waiting for'...
truck - front.jpeg
truck - side.jpeg
2010 FG84D MWB 140000km. Bullbar, winch (only 9500lbs), UHF, upgraded heavy duty radiator, loads of spare filters, belts, water pump etc. It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up at A$27,000. I just came across it on TruckSales but as it turned out he was a friend of a friend, small world. Almost all highway miles as he was a landscaping contractor for an energy company and also for Telecom. It's all well looked after and in great condition with no rust at all.

A second opportunity came up not long after to purchase a complete set of workshop equipment at a great price from a retiree in outback QLD. It used to restore steam engines but I think it will work just fine for building all things adventure truck in the hands of a machinist. The lathe is pretty wild and from 1926...
mill.jpeglathe.jpegsaw.jpegstuff.jpeg

I've recently been having several more issues with my motorhome that I bought new over here in the UK with skylights leaking and battery isolators failing. This has reinforced my confidence in the fact that we've made the correct decision to build out this truck instead of taking our current motorhome anywhere other than areas where warranty work can be carried out...

I can't wait to get started.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on the purchases. Truck is cool but buying a setup workshop is cooler. Where is it (outback Queensland is a big place !!)

749d7bfadc702043d682447c24ec0ef3.jpg

a584f159002d2a393795f58386e02e01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior