A camper worth waiting for

trackadda

Observer
Are you locked into the canter as a base vehicle, the Isuzu nps300 is also a very capable vehicle and readily available in Australia

Are you locked into the canter as a base vehicle, the Isuzu nps300 is also a very capable vehicle and readily available in Australia
Not necessarily locked in, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for them as we had an old FG434 on the farm growing up and it was a workhorse. I have read on here that the Isuzus are in fact more heavy duty but I'm quite keen on the SWB and at 4.5T I think it should handle what I throw at it. So far the Canters seem slightly cheaper in the used market as well. I usually include all the Japanese light trucks in my searches for a deal :cool:. What model would you recommend that compares to the FG649?

Great build by the way, always inspiring to see another bloke having a crack. What swayed you to the NPS?

steve66

Observer
i have learnt a lot by reading about every ones building ideas both on here and face book and don't forget my old mate google and hope that i can now pass some of that onto the next person. Makes you wonder how we all survived before the inter web hey. i did look at the van glass but wanted the smooth finish inside and out that they couldn't do at that stage. very happy with the strength of the styromax though. I haven't got my fridge in yet, still sitting in the box waiting but happy with all the figures i see from others that run them.

Apologies Tracka if I sounded a bit critical, was not my intention, as I said we all arrive at the same outcome with different versions, won't matter around the same campfire.

Mark, there is heaps out there in google land on the Natures Head, I think Bris31 has his on slide in the doorway. Basically the P's can go down any hole in the ground or tree and the rest can be buried, composted or put in the rubbish and it only needs to be done monthly or so. As you said can be sorted later, Vanglass and I assume others will CNC cut your panels from your CAD file, Cheers Steve

trackadda

Observer
Not necessarily locked in, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for them as we had an old FG434 on the farm growing up and it was a workhorse. I have read on here that the Isuzus are in fact more heavy duty but I'm quite keen on the SWB and at 4.5T I think it should handle what I throw at it. So far the Canters seem slightly cheaper in the used market as well. I usually include all the Japanese light trucks in my searches for a deal :cool:. What model would you recommend that compares to the FG649?

Great build by the way, always inspiring to see another bloke having a crack. What swayed you to the NPS?
imo they are both great vehicles and were the only 2 on my short list, the decider was probable the thicker chassis and the fact that i have 2 good friends that work at Isuzu dealerships

trackadda

Observer
Apologies Tracka if I sounded a bit critical, was not my intention, as I said we all arrive at the same outcome with different versions, won't matter around the same campfire.

Mark, there is heaps out there in google land on the Natures Head, I think Bris31 has his on slide in the doorway. Basically the P's can go down any hole in the ground or tree and the rest can be buried, composted or put in the rubbish and it only needs to be done monthly or so. As you said can be sorted later, Vanglass and I assume others will CNC cut your panels from your CAD file, Cheers Steve
Hi Steve , no offence taken, i did not even think that way about your reply.

Fridge
Once again I didn't think I'd be looking down the route of 240V and with a very low profile pop-top I may still not be able to. As far as I'm aware, bar fridges are famously inefficient and surely an upright 90L Engel (which would be more than enough for our initial needs as a couple) would consume less power than that. If you have a small fridge in mind that will outperform it please let me know! Obviously with the lack of gas I won't be going for a 3 way fridge. The 90L 3 way Dometic in our current motorhome really struggles in the high temperatures.

We chose an Evakool Platinum fridge. Comes in various sizes, ours is 146l with fridge/freezer. Made in Caloundra on Sunny Coast.

After 4 years of use in the back of the FG with its "plush" suspension, and having just completed Oodnadatta,Tanami,Gibb River, Mitchell Falls and the like, it has performed almost faultlessly. I say almost cos it's making an interesting noise occasionally. I put that down to the small computer type fan near the compressor having dust and shite in it. The fridge works as normal.

We have found this size ideal but there is a smaller and larger version.

It runs on either 12v or 24v and is tropicalised with thick insulation.

Not as cheap as a domestic fridge but I'm not sure how they would stand up to the same treatment and they will likely have been built to a price.

It might just be my paranoia, but the thought of having a 240v system running whilst mobile conjures up unpleasant scenarios , not the least of which is what may happen in an accident if live wires are exposed to either myself or rescue workers attending the scene. Just sayin.

steve66

Observer
Agreed, has been discussed elsewhere, I intend to have a warning sticker on/near the door to alert people to live 240v within, Everything has a risk attached to it.

Cheers Steve

Agreed, has been discussed elsewhere, I intend to have a warning sticker on/near the door to alert people to live 240v within, Everything has a risk attached to it.

Cheers Steve
Fair point. Like I said I don't think I'll have the space for a super efficient 240V fridge so I'd say it will be 12V, meaning nothing will run full time off 240.

Vanglass and I assume others will CNC cut your panels from your CAD file
The little project CNC I had in mind would have only done the interior fit out. The exterior panels would be cut for me. I figured if I do the interior myself out of gel coated ply or something, if I want to make a change or adjustment, its easy and cost effective.

Mark, there is heaps out there in google land on the Natures Head
Which I will certainly be reading. I barely mentioned the toilet but with how many people chimed in about this on my thread it obviously works very well. (y)

Made in Caloundra on Sunny Coast.
Any more suppliers in the south east I should be aware of!? Really great to see. Chances are I'll be moving the build to Caloundra to do the interior with my girlfriends dad who is a carpenter.

I had a weight issue...in the truck. Therefore I used a composite panel like a glass outer with honeycomb plastic core in centre. You may not need to concern yourself with this.

But...FYI, I used panel from Lavender Composites at Acacia Ridge Brisbane. It was reasonably priced compared to some. It works well but would need to consider fixing methods, I used a lot of Sika and rivets.

I had a weight issue...in the truck. Therefore I used a composite panel like a glass outer with honeycomb plastic core in centre. You may not need to concern yourself with this.

But...FYI, I used panel from Lavender Composites at Acacia Ridge Brisbane. It was reasonably priced compared to some. It works well but would need to consider fixing methods, I used a lot of Sika and rivets.
That is indeed the main disadvantage of my current plan - ply isn't exactly light. Thanks for the tip on the supplier though, I'll check them out for sure. If the sheets are reasonably priced the same DIY principle could apply, although I'd likely just get them to cut it all up for me.

steve66

Observer
Most use the same composite panel for the interior, I know Vanglass make a thinner panel just for this but I was happy with the 23mm everywhere, I didn't get any CNC cuts done, just used raw panels but they did rebate most of the edges of the box, the stuff is dead easy to cut, diamond blade on a grinder and a jigsaw is all you need, multitool for the rebates.

Wyuna

Observer
Just thought I'd add this, you can get lightweight plywood, DMK forest products down here at Banyo in Brisbane, they offer a 15mm lightweight Falcata ply and also a double sided 16.4mm Falcata lightweight ply with a white laminate.

If i recall it was 5.5kg a SQ mtr for the 15mm ply, MDF is around 11.6kg a SQ mtr and normal ply is around the same weight.

Im a cabinetmaker by trade and this company sells to the public, if you want pre glued edging for doors, then they have that as well

I used the double sided white laminated lightweight ply for my camper build and i laminated the outside of the cabinets with the textured laminate i wanted.

Thanks guys, I feel they are both better ideas than my initial thinking as it's these sorts of things that are going to keep me under 4500kg (along with having to halve my water and fuel supplies...) I probably just like the idea of ply simply because I've used it alot in the past but don't have any experience with getting a neat finished product from the composite panels. That experience will soon come...

Although I think I've got it fairly clear in my mind and I've read the QLD/federal government issued information about what's required to get the build all legal and registered, does an article written by a layman spring to anyone's mind about the process and what needs inspecting/certification/plating?

gait

Explorer
I don't know if you've seen my 2010 build http://epicycles.com/Truck Blog/2010-01-01/2010-01-01.htm

MWB FG649E, 4m x 2.1m box (width for narrow European villages), drop top (solid sides) 23mm Vanglas panels, now Lithium with 1250w solar and induction cooking, 5kW diesel water / space / engine heating, dual diesel tanks, 4500 kg Qld registered, traveled through Asia to Europe (-10 deg C ok), etc. I haven't but its also possible to add split system aircon. Mine is not the only one.

No I hadn't seen your website and I'm grateful that you've mentioned it, very informative. Also great to see another build doing all I want to and keeping under weight. I look forward to reading your trip reports too, must have been an amazing journey!

I too thought that despite having all this time before I start it would be great to get some detailed modelling done but there's just no point - will just have to accept the fact that there will be lead times at the beginning of the project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier