A boy, his girl, their puppy and a Ural: Celebrating 20 years together

Scott Brady

Founder
Just a few days ago, I celebrated 20 years of marriage to my high school sweetheart. Stephanie and I have been together since our senior year in high school, including attending our high school prom. A few years after high school, I nervously popped the question on the beach in California. Between basic training and my training as a firefighter for the Air Force, I flew home and we said our vows, running off into the sunset and our new life on Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho.
HS_Sweethearts.jpg
Yes, I had hair.

I feel quite fortunate to still be married to Stephanie, principally because she is 10x the woman I deserve. Beautiful, adventurous, stylish and smart. We work together each day in our business. Stephanie is the designer of Overland Journal and in general, keeps all us silly boys from burning the place down.

On Wed. of this week, we woke early and loaded the family into the Ural sidecar, consisting of Stephanie, our Malamute puppy Atlas and me as pilot.
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.56.19%20PM.jpg

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.59.55%20PM.jpg

The Doggles don't always go on so well. . .

After departing the Senator Highway for a little trail to the Hassayampa, we had one good descent to make, resulting in the Ural dragging its exhaust, me shifting into 2wd and attempting to be cool while operating and pushing the bike through the ditch. I am certain both Stephanie and Atlas were rolling their eyes.
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.02.41%20PM.jpg

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.03.09%20PM.jpg

So extreme - I know!

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.03.44%20PM.jpg

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.04.26%20PM.jpg

We let Atlas run around like a madman. At six months, he needs lots of running

We made it to the next junction and I asked Stephanie if she was up for exploring a new road. Being the adventurer she is, I got "That would be fun", followed by "do you know where you are going". I said "No" and she hopped in the sidecar anyways.
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.04.32%20PM.jpg

Continuing on, the trail got progressively more difficult, ending at the bottom of the draw with a small crossing of the river. Climbing back up the other side, I decided it was better to turn around, make our 4:30 movie (Oblivion - recommend it!) and make prudence the better part of valor. After several attempts with the loaded sidecar and trying to be gentle on the passengers, Steph and the pup jumped out and I gave it a proper run, making a splash and completing the climb.
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.02.51%20PM.jpg

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.03.22%20PM.jpg

More extreme

There were a few more climbs, including some very deadly roots and ruts. We prevailed.
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.03.17%20PM.jpg

Tonight, we celebrate her 40th birthday (the actual day is Sunday). I am a very lucky guy. . .
Photo%202013-05-09%2008.04.40%20PM.jpg

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
Congratulations!

My wife and I will celebrate 19 this summer. I look at old pictures and it doesn't look like my wife has aged, but I on the other hand...

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Scott,

Congratulations to you, your wife Stephanie, and your for-legged navigator. It is a rare love that starts that young, and I consider you both very fortunate for recognizing this and building a wonderful life together! Through the information and stories you published on the Expeditions West website many years ago, you have inspired me so much that I developed a lifestyle. Until the day I get to shake your hand for this in person, Thank You for the impact you have had on my life, and I congratulate the three of you for formulating your own adventures. :beer:

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Neat story, congrats and Happy Birthday to Steph! My wife and I enjoyed pretty much the same life story even down to the dogs…but with a curve ball. We have our first baby on the way. Our life is going to be much more different than the first 20 years we’ve known each other. Maybe you and Steph need to have a baby Scott, you’ll never know you wanted one until the Dr. says there is on the way.

GregInUtah

GregInUtah
Scott,

Congratulations to you, your wife Stephanie, and your for-legged navigator. It is a rare love that starts that young, and I consider you both very fortunate for recognizing this and building a wonderful life together! Through the information and stories you published on the Expeditions West website many years ago, you have inspired me so much that I developed a lifestyle. Until the day I get to shake your hand for this in person, Thank You for the impact you have had on my life, and I congratulate the three of you for formulating your own adventures. :beer:

This is high praise from a person you've apparently never met. The highest compliment one can be paid, in my opinion, is to know you've influenced one's behavior in a positive way. Thanks for being a force for good in the world... and happy anniversary to you and Stephanie.

ab1985

Explorer
Neat story, congrats and Happy Birthday to Steph! My wife and I enjoyed pretty much the same life story even down to the dogs…but with a curve ball. We have our first baby on the way. Our life is going to be much more different than the first 20 years we’ve known each other. Maybe you and Steph need to have a baby Scott, you’ll never know you wanted one until the Dr. says there is on the way.
You clearly have no interest in seeing Expeditions 7 Part II. :eek:

Scott Brady

Founder
Maybe you and Steph need to have a baby Scott, you'll never know you wanted one until the Dr. says there is on the way.

That would certainly be a blessing - one never knows. My sister has two boys, and I cherish every moment I have with them.

Scott Brady

Founder
Congratulations to you, your wife Stephanie, and your for-legged navigator. It is a rare love that starts that young, and I consider you both very fortunate for recognizing this and building a wonderful life together!

Until the day I get to shake your hand for this in person

Thank you for the kind words and congratulations.

We get to Utah often - it would be a pleasure to meet you for a trail run or campout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles