A 2004 Tacoma grows up

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Awesome dude. I love it.

And I dig how clean your engine bay is. Looks like I'm not the only one who cleans it up occasionally :ylsmoke:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks Chris !

I am a freak about a clean machine- after wheeling I usually get inside the engine and underneath the best I can - this way I like working on it as well as seeing if something needs attention...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Desertdude said:
I this way I like working on it as well as seeing if something needs attention...

Exactly! me too. Looks great, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing it soon.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
A 21 gallon water tank and a surflo 2.8 gal per min pump showed up today. My plan is to mount the tank under my aluminum storage box. I may strap it to a piece of ply wood then bolt the ply to the truck bed. I will then plumb the tank to a faucet in the back for drinking water - and I might even plumb the tank to the shower on the front of the truck.

I ordered an Aux gas tank kit from Downey off-road - it comes in a week or so, that should give me 15 more gallons of gas :)

I am designing a waterproof slide out drawer system, in the bed for lockable storage - then a few lights for fun!

More to follow soon!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
NICE!!

Scott and I were discussing water storage not too long ago, and I suggested keeping the potable water storage separate from the shower/wash water. Often you will find sources for shower/wash water that you aren't that crazy about drinking. It's nice to be able to take advantage of these water sources whenever they become available on a trip, without having to be concerned with contaminating your potable water supply. So, if you do pipe it to the front for the shower, I would install a check valve, and a 3-way valve so you have the option of using potable or a bucket source. And you won't have the shower plumbing backing into the potable water, but you could still use the potable water to supply the shower when you want to. Make sense?

Good move on the Downey tank!

And I can't wait to see the storage system. :jumping:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Yes , Desertgirl agrees and insists on the "keep it seperated" approach.

She figures it would be better to include this colapsible bucket we have for showers and using everyday water for it. Loading mostly filtered into the storage tank ( or filtering on the faucet end)...

Yeah - she's a keeper :jumping:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I still like this option and may find the time to make it so ;)

I would install a check valve, and a 3-way valve so you have the option of using potable or a bucket source. And you won't have the shower plumbing backing into the potable water, but you could still use the potable water to supply the shower when you want to. Make sense?

Thanks for the water tips OBAJAWAN :bowdown:

Photos to follow

Scott Brady

Founder
Pasquale,

I was thinking of your storage options... and what do you think of this?

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/063.html

063_detail.jpg

Sealed steel lockable storage. Just might work and would be a quick solution.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks for thinking of me Scott :wavey:

I have scoped out Tuffy and Truck Vault for solutions - they have many fine solid products. I was almost ready to place an order - then changed my mind. As a woodworker, I decided to build them for a couple reasons.

* custom sizing

* use my skills save a little cash

* add the savings to the Aux fuel tank ( read pricey tank)

I bought two pair of THESE

I hope to build the boxes and drawers Approx 4' X 4' - then have the outside waterproofed with bed liner or something similar - add locks and handles - and a tailgate lock.

I will be burning the midnight oil to get things ready for Baja :campfire:

Scott Brady

Founder
Desertdude said:
I will be burning the midnight oil to get things ready for Baja :campfire:

Me too brother... :camping:

Dont hesitate to give me a call if you get tight on time. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Land at home base last Sunday - Approx. 5 days to get ready for the Baja trip - we are now deep into day three ( who needs sleep right?) here's what's been on the mod menu -

Aux gas tank - (Downey kit)- well maybe a kit...

Poly water storage tank - 12v pump - Faucet

Extreme aire compressor - ( ditch that heavy C02 tank in the garage)

Custom built bed box with (2) 20"X48" drawers lockable and waterproofed

Additional 12v outlets at the rear of the truck bed

Video camera mount inside - and occasionally outside.

Voltmeter and 3 way switch to monitor battery power

Mini Portable solar array - when we are parked for a day

Behind the driver seat storage - ( might be something soft)

Load vehicle with gear and test drive in the mountains

Load 60 gig ipod with music and movies

--------------------------
Aux tank is mounted - and yet to be fully tapped into the OEM tank

Drawer box built - and herculined

Poly tank mount built and installed

Pump and faucet installed and tested

Alfred hitchcock movies loaded in the iPod

Here are some photos of the progress so far

http://homepage.mac.com/desertdude/PhotoAlbum117.html

Forum statistics

Threads