99GrandLTD's 2001 WJ Build Thread

99GrandLTD

As my username implies I previously had a '99 WJ. It was nice with a 3" lift, 32's, a rack, OBA, brush guard and some lights. I loved it and missed it since I got rid of it. The build thread I made for it is still around here but the pictures no longer exist.

Fast forward five years and I stumbled across a craigslist ad a few miles away from me for an '01 WJ limited that looks exactly like the one I had but it had extras like the upcountry package, block heater, and some other stuff. I went to look at it and it was the original owner who owned it since new in '00. It had 174k on the clock and a bad engine. The woman who didn't know much mechanically so she couldn't really give me much detail on the events leading up to the engine failure or the extent of the engine failure. I snagged it for $950.

Body wise it was clean. Loosing some clear on the one side and some rocker rust but not horrible.

This is what she looked like after I brought her home. The original plan was to put a used engine in. I went to craigslist again and found a used engine and trans for $600. I went to hear it run before it was pulled and all was good. It sounded good, ran good, and fluids checked out. The guy said it had a bad head gasket but I heard no noises or anything and it didn't smoke so for $600 I got that and a trans that had 25k on a rebuild. Changed the head gasket and installed the engine.

Changing the engine turned into much more of a project than it should have been. Apparently the used engine had a crack in the head that wasn't detected or I cleaned up the mating surface too much. Either way I was getting exhaust in the coolant and the engine had to come back out. I was not about to play with another used engine. These things are shoe horned in and not fun to swap. I purchased a re manufactured engine and installed it. LOL. The thing ran great started right up sounded good and in the break in process started knocking. Now the new engine has a warranty but still has to come back out :mad: After some diag. work we found pieces of a valve seat in cyl. 1. After some wrestling with the company the engine was on its way back via UPS freight. THEY LOST IT. I had to fight with UPS for 3 months and then UPS says a reman engine is used and they will only pay $1/pound but they have an agreement with the company that they only pay .50 cents a pound on used engine returns and that is all they will pay $217. Ultimately the company replaced the engine for $217. The third engine was finally installed and ran great.

I then installed the 25k Transmission and that was great too.

Threw some plasti-dip on it and it was good

I also installed the factory nav in it I prefer this over the more feature heavy aftermarket ones just because of its integration with steering wheel, factory CD changer, and clean look

At this point we are over a year after I bought it and it was just earning primary vehicle duty. In driving it I realized the stock suspension was SHOT too. I'm sure sitting immobile for 1.5 years contributed some to that but when I say it was SHOT. It had death wobble with factory components. It was tax time and I figured I would spend nearly as much replacing factory components as I would lifting it. I also knew that this one is getting done right. I don't want to say money is not an issue, because it is, but if I am going to do something... I am going to do it right.

The lift is a Rough country 4" long arm. I installed the lift with the Rough Country shocks which no one recommends but they are installed with it known that they are being replaced. I was actually quite impressed with the Rough Country lift given their reputation. I actually was given some advice by some respected people in the field who told me that the lift does not deserve the rap it gets. I agree.

The tires I ultimately chose were the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars. I am very happy with them. I picked up a set of New/Used factory take offs. 5 for less than I'd get 4 "new" ones for.

This now leads me up to current day and the current project. This will be getting the front crossmember but out and a winch replacing it behind the factory bumper. I already chose and purchased the Smittybilt X20 Gen2 Waterproof 10k winch. It is the comp series with the synthetic line and aluminum hawse fairlead. When fabbing this winch in if I mount it with normal orientation I will need to go through the grill to access the clutch handle or always power out. The other option would be to mount it upside down but notch one the verticle bars in the lower grill area of the front bumper. I am going with that option but took it a step further and converted to the 2004 style bumper with no vertical bars for a cleaner look. Currently the new bumper is on but not painted and winch not installed.

From here the current plan is to obviously finish the winch install and then this summer I will be making a trip to Spadano Enterprises in Massachusetts and getting my rockers with rust cut off and replaced with some sliders integrated into the body.

Long term plans are a rear tire carrier, some lighting, Rhino rack X-tray with a RTT, and a M416 with matching paint wheels and tires.

More to come as its done. Hope you enjoy

madZJ

Observer
Looks good, keep the pics coming. I think I'm going to paint my hood this summer, it looks good and should reduce glare.

99GrandLTD

Finished up the winch mount a few months ago and never posted it. I cut out the crossmember and used a harbor freight bracket modified a little bit and mounted upside down. Came out real clean.
dda25a278aaf8bc9b8eb4a8a8e5094c8.jpg
70e3830e7c13731b290ea54a4331310f.jpg
4d4d997d58689ea0e2baad819becea6b.jpg
1d60de31917fbe146550ef132ca81852.jpg
bb34f9903c83f8cd70f86d9baa3e16e7.jpg
e20fd116d562cf58a75ce10cd9568122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpat30

Adventurer
The Jeep looks goooooooood! I love WJs, although I am probably a little biased:) I really like the idea of a hidden winch on these rigs and am leaning more and more to 1 myself. There is a company out there (HK Offroad) that builds a hidden mount specifically for the WJ that like yours replaces the front cross member. Will definitely be watching to see where this build goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94