99Fuso FG. AC fan

kerry

Expedition Leader
Periodically the AC fan screams like a slipping fan belt. Turn it off for a while and it usually resolves. Anybody have any idea of what the problem is and a fix.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I’m rethinking the problem. Maybe it is the AC belt and the fan switch is turning the AC off. It was 100 degrees out so the r134a pressures would be really high. Maybe the belt is slightly loose.

yabanja

Explorer
I’m rethinking the problem. Maybe it is the AC belt and the fan switch is turning the AC off. It was 100 degrees out so the r134a pressures would be really high. Maybe the belt is slightly loose.

Should be pretty straightforward to isolate as the AC fan is located in the far right front lower corner of the car. The loose belt is a possibility although I believe it is a dual belt setup. Could also be a compressor failing.

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
It was definitely too loose. My fault. When I changed the belts I didn’t realize specs called for tighter AC belt.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If the AC is switched off then the magnetic clutch will not be engaged, so it would be unlikely to squeal when there is little to no load on the belt.

kerry

Expedition Leader
What confused me was that the sound went away when I turned off the fan. So turning the fan to 'off' as well as turning the AC switch to 'off' disengages the magnetic clutch. I should have known that but I didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz