99 V-Cross blown motor

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My buddy has a 99 Isuzu V-Cross. Last week on a return trip from Colorado he blew the engine. It got low on oil and the pistons seized. No catastrophic damage that we can see, ie no holes in the block, ect ect. No chunks of steel or any of that in the oil but it is definitely seized. It is a 3.5L v6 engine.

Anyone have advice or know where to get a replacement engine? Is it the same motor used in Troopers? We are thinking about just getting his rebuilt if the crank is not damaged.

Cheers

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, X2, it's the same engine. I followed the V Cross for a while, interested in one but didn't want to go back that old, they are super vehicles that were way ahead of their time.
Well, I hope your friend doesn't own the pearl white one. I tracked it down to a bike mechanic in CO. It's the first one made for the US and it's pearl white, the only one, not the Iron Man white. If that is his, please rebuild it keeping the matching numbers!!! If it's not getting a Trooper engine probably won't be a big deal.
If it had been the Trooper you can go diesel but I'd not go there, the V is a high performance vehicle. :)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info. We plan to yank the engine today and see how bad it is inside. If it can be rebuilt we will go that route, if not we will have to source another motor.

Cheers

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
AFAIK In addition to Trooper 3.5Ls, you can swap a swap a 98+ Rodeo 3.2L, and some Axiom motors as well (just not the direct injection one). Go to the forum at vehicross.info for more info.

Ala5ka

VX'er
The problem is the small oil ports on that 3.5 (I have an ExPo VX) if it gets rebuilt they should open those guys up and you'll never have that problem again.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah a few guys have drilled additional drain-back holes in the piston oil rings and reported good results (no oil burning).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94