'99 Tahoe - Expedition Build!

Spargman

Adventurer
After quite some time planning and the last two months underneath the truck, we're finally getting close to finishing up our expedition build.

I've learned tons of information on this site, so I thought I would share what I'm up to with you guys!

Leaving towards the end of March, we are going on a multi-month expedition throughout the US, Canada and hopefully up to Alaska. On this trip, we are stopping off at a number of national parks, 4x4 events and even being FEATURED at the Overland Expo in May.

This is an offroad trip, so once we leave the east coast, most of the trek is offroad (agenda still to be finalized)

I'm not online as much as I used to b/c i'm literally under the truck 8+hrs/day, but I'll try to respond as much as possible.

Here are the plans for the vehicle:
1999 Tahoe 4dr 4x4
IMG_7649.jpg

14bolt semi float swap
4" IFS RCX Lift
Viking Offroad - Synthetic Winchline - A MUST have for IFS rigs
Hydroboost Conversion
Custom fabbed tie rods - FFR Fabrication
HD Ball Joints - Synergy Suspension
Moog HD Pitman/Idler Arm
Pro Comp Extreme AT 285/70R17
Mickey Thompson 17x9
Custom rear bumper w/tire carrier
Custom torsion bars (33% stiffer) - Sway A Way
Bilstein 5100 shocks (5150's were not valved heavy enough)
Vehicle mounted air compressor
Defender 6.5' roof rack
Samlex Pure Sine 1000w PST Inverter w/remote
Volant CAI
BlackBear Tune
12vot guy custom switch panel - AMAZING!
220amp alternator - Iraggi
x4 170 Lightforce lights (on roof rack)
x2 KC 130w on ARB Winch bumper
Body Armor (skid plate, frame sliders, tank protector, diff protector) - Crum Custom Welding
Larger trans cooler
ARB front bumper + 12k Superwinch (still need to purchase)
ARB fridge - 60 Liter
DDM 35 & 55w HIDs w/4hi mod

Trailer:
LV416 Trailer
30 gallons water
20 gallons fuel
Holds lots of spare parts and equip

As I add more and finish up installs, I will update this first page!

Hydroboost Conversion w/PS Cooler - this is all new AC Delco components (base vehicle k2500)..PS cooler from '97 K3500
IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8108-1.jpg

This was used to delete variable steering from PS pump
IMG_7947-1.jpg

12Voltguy Custom Panel
IMG_8219.jpg

IMG_8220.jpg

Mark VIII Efan - custom wiring setup to engage both speeds automatically
IMG_7279-1.jpg

Volant CAI:
IMG_7282-1.jpg

ProComp Extreme AT 285/70R17
9351.jpg

Iraggi 220 alt - 180amp @ Idle!!!
IMG_8168.jpg

14bsf 6 lug rear w/Blue Torch diff cover - COMPLETELY rebuilt w/Timken Bearings & Tru Trac
IMG_8214.jpg

Updated Fuel Injector Spider
IMG_8212.jpg

Timken Hub Bearing Replacement
IMG_8129.jpg

Manifold Gasket Replacement (clean manifold!)
IMG_8210.jpg

Plenum Gasket
IMG_8211.jpg

Electric Air Horn - 300hz
IMG_7286-1.jpg

Custom Trailer:
IMG_8141-1.jpg

Interior
IMG_8164.jpg

Trailer Bearing Lube
IMG_8163.jpg

As you can imagine, I've also swapped out every fluid (trans, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, oil, coolant)

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
:Wow1::Wow1: Goodness that is a TON of work! The 12V panel looks great, as does your trailer. Any details on the electric air horn? Keep us posted...

:lurk:

Calplaya

Adventurer
wow! that is awesome! makes me wish i could get as much done in the time im working on my burban as you did! looks good! I love that your planning on staying off the roads on your upcoming expedition, thats what these vehicles are built for, not to be pavement queens lol! keep up the great work! :D

Spargman

Adventurer
:Wow1::Wow1: Goodness that is a TON of work! The 12V panel looks great, as does your trailer. Any details on the electric air horn? Keep us posted...

:lurk:

O2Tahoe your rig was my inspiration for this build!! Just wait until next week and I think you will see what I mean :)

The amount of work has been hectic, but its been an incredible learning experience!

As an example, my AC compressor went out last week so as I'm finally done installing the new parts, evacuating the system, etc etc it finally becomes time to hook up the new gas into the system...my buddy's bottle runs empty. I run out to Advance Auto, buy two cans and then we hook them up...not enough pressure in the can to fill the system!!! (tomorrow we check out other options)

Stebel Electric truck horn...I'm not sure on your NBS, but on my OBS, the wire running to the OEM horn was green. I simply ran a relay to the new horn, tapped the OEM and instant awesome horn. It's not obnoxiously loud, but definitely gets people attention.

Spargman

Adventurer
wow! that is awesome! makes me wish i could get as much done in the time im working on my burban as you did! looks good! I love that your planning on staying off the roads on your upcoming expedition, thats what these vehicles are built for, not to be pavement queens lol! keep up the great work! :D

Thanks Cal!

If it wasn't for my cousin helping me every step of the way this would not be possible; he's an electricity guru and really good with a wrench. When i first started this, it seemed extensive on paper, but it wasn't until i started installing and modifying that i realized what a huge task I had ahead of me for such a short time.

I'm pumped to see this done and finally get going!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like a real nice :Wow1:ride Spargman! Be sure to keep us up to date with LOTS OF PICS!:ylsmoke:

Spargman

Adventurer
The updated MPFI injector conversion is worth every penny, but why is there a 2" hole in the bottom of the intake?

I cut it out to flow more air :)

I'm still in learning mode so i'm not really sure what that hole is...

Spargman

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I will definitely keep taking photos of the build and once the exploration gets underway I'll post links to our webpage.

Today is finding a way to charge the new AC system and starting to rebuild the drums from the 14bolt.

The other night I was up to 11:30p POR'ing the underside of the trailer and it came out pretty good! (photos to follow)

Spargman

Adventurer
A few quick updates for everyone following.

Finished prepping and POR'ing the 14bsf - now I'm waiting for my Wagner severe duty shoes and I'll rebuild the drums and bend up some new brake lines.

before
IMG_8214.jpg

after
IMG_8230.jpg

Replaced the Compressor, drier and orifice tube...
IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8228.jpg

After installing the new system, evacuating and filling with refrigerant...the high pressure relief valve went south...and I had to do it all over again!

I also installed a new idler pulley today and fixed my hi beam HIDs!

Spargman

Adventurer
i finally was able to upload some more progress photos...so here we go!!

Can anyone guess what may go in here? (i cut and grinded the heck out of it...came out pretty clean IMO)
IMG_8565.jpg

On to the venerable 14 bolt and Alcan springs.

If you are going to replace your springs, plan on dropping your tank. I decided in my infinite wisdom that if I cut all the old bolts, it would piece of cake...wrong!

There is one bolt that butts up against the gas tank that once you cut the head off, it falls in between the frame and gas tank. The head of the bolt is bigger then the opening in the frame, so you can't simply grab a magnet and pull it out...also, these are grade 8 bolts, so unless you want to spend hours with a Sawzall, grab a grinder and go to town

IMG_8566.jpg
- 10bolt stripped and ready to come out
IMG_8571.jpg
- got it out nice and easy! I had new ubolts, so this part was actually pretty simple

This is where it gets painful...spring removal...it took me over a day to get these out b/c I didn't drop the tank and had to run to home depot twice for bigger cutting blades
IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg
- i did this at about 11p when I saw it was going to take hours of squirming to cut the bolt

New springs in - really easy - I installed with the head of bolt facing out
IMG_8577.jpg

14 bolt in - POR'd it and with that ridiculous thick BlueFab diff cover, this thing is beefy
IMG_8583.jpg

The RCX shocks are in the rear (white in the photo) as I wait for a bracket for my rear 5150's...sadly, the front 5150's are no valved heavy enough for this truck, so i'm ordering 5100's tonight

The driveshaft is also in, tomorrow is some buttoning up and then I go to pick up my new rear bumper!

Spargman

Adventurer
The venerable 14bolt is in and so far so good!! I only ran the truck on jack stands, but tomorrow it's road tested.

IMG_8585.jpg

The 14bsf mod is a piece of cake if you are retaining the stock springs...but i definitely was slowed down by mine.

This thing looks awesome under the truck! I POR'd it (dont mind the spots i missed) and it looks really clean under the truck.

I also painted the drums and any visible rust on the frame... (this photo was taken before I touched up all the rust)

This mod I'm actually pretty excited about and recommend to folks that if they wheel, copy this!

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8581-1.jpg

This is my 100% Cycle Duty VIAIR 450H. If you want to run a tank, they make a pump with an auto shutoff...the "H" is not designed for use with tanks, but with a little ingenuity, it easily could.

We essentially purchased two brackets from Home Depot and with self taping screws, drilled into the body. To reduce vibration when this thing is on, rubber sealing material (roofers use it - see the shiny material on the fender), was placed on parts that have metal to metal contact. You will also see there are rubber grommets on the screws that mount the pump to the black mounting plate.

I also purchased the mounting bracket specifically for this pump and it made installation a piece of cake. You can tug on the pump and it doesn't budge.

From a wiring perspective, this will be wired directly to a relayed switch in our center console. The air line will run from the pump to a quick disconnect that will be mounted on the custom rear bumper.

Also, b/c this rig will go through water, I siliconed the heck out of the parts of the screws that went through the metal interior to the outside.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting up Sparq! Looks like your conversion went well and I am sure the truck is going to 4by4:Wow1: very nicely now! I look forward to seeing pics of you out in the bush with your rig....:)

Spargman

Adventurer
Thanks for posting up Sparq! Looks like your conversion went well and I am sure the truck is going to 4by4:Wow1: very nicely now! I look forward to seeing pics of you out in the bush with your rig....:)

Thanks! Truck is almost done, can't wait to leave!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
looks awesome (like i said on the other forum lol) really like the air tank, i usually dont see them mounted inside. Is it pretty quiet when running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier